Are you a snob?

Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:05 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are you a snob?

Originally Posted by Hutch
Well, yes it was a loaded question as I've admitted, but I don't think it's any less troll-like than the stock responses doled out to pretty much any question on this forum by the usual suspects. It's something that's been bugging me for a while now. People like yourself and most of the other people who've popped up out of the woodwork to reply to this thread are so unrelentingly negative - you (group you, not you in particular) come across as a pack of bullies.

I wondered to myself, what would an outsider make of it all. And the conclusion I came to was that they'd think you all sounded like a load of post-colonial snobs without a good word to say about anything or anyone, unless it was draped in the Union Jack. The sort of people who talk loudly to Spainish waiters to help them understand 'English' or who'd head for the Rose and Crown pub in Cyprus to experience authentic local nightlife.

Just my two cents.

Know what you mean. Although I had to laugh the other day when one of them got so mixed up he called himself a tosser.

That was worth a
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

mmmmm interesting, so I guess this site should really be called British Immigrants? I like it!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Or Britsh Emigrants in your case.

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
mmmmm interesting, so I guess this site should really be called British Immigrants? I like it!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:46 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I thought your parents were/are Australian?.
Oz dad, Irish mum. But I, for my sins, was born in England - Lymm, to be precise. My blood type is AB, I'm a Libran and my favourite drink is Jack Daniels.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:49 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Oz dad, Irish mum. But I, for my sins, was born in England - Lymm, to be precise. My blood type is AB, I'm a Libran and my favourite drink is Jack Daniels.
Does being depressed by the idea that your initial estimate that 80% per cent of the population are idiots was too low make you a snob?

If so, sign me up.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Does being depressed by the idea that your initial estimate that 80% per cent of the population are idiots was too low make you a snob?

If so, sign me up.
Come on in. You'll find plenty of company round these parts, please don't leave your xenophobia and ignorance at the door - we want to hear *all* about it.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nah - not expat - hate that word. An expat's someone who moves to a country on a temporary basis, lives in a ghetto-style enclave of fellow countrymen, makes no effort to fit in and refuses to accept that they're actually in another country, and slags off anything local, before hopping on a plane 'home' a year or two later.

I'm an immigrant.

So, you're contributing to the wrong forum then?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, yes it was a loaded question as I've admitted, but I don't think it's any less troll-like than the stock responses doled out to pretty much any question on this forum by the usual suspects. It's something that's been bugging me for a while now. People like yourself and most of the other people who've popped up out of the woodwork to reply to this thread are so unrelentingly negative - you (group you, not you in particular) come across as a pack of bullies.

I wondered to myself, what would an outsider make of it all. And the conclusion I came to was that they'd think you all sounded like a load of post-colonial snobs without a good word to say about anything or anyone, unless it was draped in the Union Jack. The sort of people who talk loudly to Spainish waiters to help them understand 'English' or who'd head for the Rose and Crown pub in Cyprus to experience authentic local nightlife.

Just my two cents.

Well your half Australian so it's your roots (or part of it). Australian is a fine country but some of have homes in better places with family.There are things that make me cringe about Scotland too.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:59 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Come on in. You'll find plenty of company round these parts, please don't leave your xenophobia and ignorance at the door - we want to hear *all* about it.
No xenophobia. It's the population of the world I'm talking about, not of Australia.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
So, you're contributing to the wrong forum then?
Absolutely. But then if we're going to get pedantic, not everyone who posts on here is British, either. If you know of a forum where the posters don't wallow in it, kindly enlighten me - this place is more depressing than the Xmas edition of Eastenders.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:02 am
Demi-God

Absolutely. But then if we're going to get pedantic, not everyone who posts on here is British, either. If you know of a forum where the posters don't wallow in it, kindly enlighten me - this place is more depressing than the Xmas edition of Eastenders.
The fact that you watched the christmas edition of Eastenders is probably more depressing than the christmas edition of eastenders.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that you watched the christmas edition of Eastenders is probably more depressing than the christmas edition of eastenders.

And shows that he is probably more of an expat than he cares to admit.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:28 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Middle name Paul or Peter?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Who said I watched it? I'd rather lop off a limb with plastic cuttlery ...
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:52 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Middle name Paul or Peter?
Both?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.