Are you a snob?

Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a snob?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
A thead then. I would say debate happens but it is not structured enough for the people who want real debate. (No names). This is a thread where the posters who want to really DEBATE can and know it will stay on topic -and relevant - and have basic intellectual standards, and civilities observed. I just think that people spend more time defending a position than actually debating.
There's some pretty good debates in TIO....have you joined in any of those?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:25 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I do hope you're not calling me a moron I have the ability to ban, you know
I would never do such a thing
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:26 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. But the silliness and the fun - and partisan nature distracts from debate that some posters really want to have. I would participate at times, knowing that I have the other threads available to fall back to when the old brain cells are flagging.
And you think this thread was started for those reasons?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
And you think this thread was started for those reasons?
Who cares. We would now have the capability to do it properly.
Anyhow my rules are now in operation so add materially to the thread, or I will take away your scooter, you lucky sod.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:48 am
I don't give a damn

Who cares. We would now have the capability to do it properly.
Anyhow my rules are now in operation so add materially to the thread, or I will take away your scooter, you lucky sod.
Now that would be cruel! One of the few pleasures i have left is mowing down Australians in the mall

I would add materially to the thread, but i've forgotten the subject matter now
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A thead then. I would say debate happens but it is not structured enough for the people who want real debate. (No names). This is a thread where the posters who want to really DEBATE can and know it will stay on topic -and relevant - and have basic intellectual standards, and civilities observed. I just think that people spend more time defending a position than actually debating.
But very often that's all any debate is. Two sides (or more) of an argument, ends, up more often than not, going back to the main points. It's impossible to have the sort of debate that continues along tracks without diversion, on a public forum - too many people get involved. You're doing your pompous thing again If you want clear debate, either go, as Poll suggested, to TIO or join up to a discussion board on particular subjects. BE, I would suggest, is too general for that sort of conversation.

On the other hand, if you want a debate on a subject, then start one
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

A new subforum, or thread, for proper, debating of tabled topics to the level of that found in any civilised arena. Reasonable *standards* are set for ALL posts in the 'rules'. Naturally, allowances are made for grammar and spelling if the spirit of the post is sound. It is self-governed, policed by nominated umpires (who can be mods) who keep the thread on track, relevant and fair - and un-partisan.

No loudmouths, insults OR partisan-posting allowed:
As this is BE, I have an idea for a few simple rules that would, whilst seem dictatorial, allow many more opinions and detail to come to the fore..I think people might be surprised how we would see the other sides of posters as 'positions' would not need to be 'defended', and detail and debate promoted.

eg. Posters cannot post to say "I agree". They must materially add to the debate, refine or define.

eg. Posters cannot disagree or attack a notion, without specifying which bits, and specifying which other bits they agree with. They must in the spirit of the exercise, balance good and bad.

Any takers?
TIO is just such a place for you, then. If you find it a little too much (as a lot do) then I would suggest The Lounge. Lots of discussion and debate on there.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:03 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
TIO is just such a place for you, then. If you find it a little too much (as a lot do) then I would suggest The Lounge. Lots of discussion and debate on there.
Yes, but a debate must operate from first principals. Before we debate whether each of us is or is not a snob, for example, we must first establish what a snob is and determine whether it is a good thing or a bad thing. Otherwise we are simply arguing from immovable standpoints which alienate the very core of debate. The essence of the debate needs to move from the very first point where we neeed to examine honestly and without prejudice the very nature of what a snob might or might not be and whether the term should be applied in a pejorative or non-pejorative sense. If you get my drift. We cannot simply assume that being a snob is a bad thing since snobs will view snobbery as a good thing, and commie bleeding-heart liberal scum will view snobbery as a bad thing.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:35 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burbage
....and commie bleeding-heart liberal scum will view snobbery as a bad thing.
don't you go holding back now.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
But very often that's all any debate is. Two sides (or more) of an argument, ends, up more often than not, going back to the main points. It's impossible to have the sort of debate that continues along tracks without diversion, on a public forum - too many people get involved. You're doing your pompous thing again If you want clear debate, either go, as Poll suggested, to TIO or join up to a discussion board on particular subjects. BE, I would suggest, is too general for that sort of conversation.
Agree that debates are 2 sided+ by defintion but we do lose focus here on BE. Fair enough, I was trying to suggest something for those who want to discuss properly, and for those who apparently are put off posting due to the partisan nature. If that is pompous, so be it(!)

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The impression I get is that TIO is even more total anarchy!

Thanks anyway.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Burbage
Yes, but a debate must operate from first principals. Before we debate whether each of us is or is not a snob, for example, we must first establish what a snob is and determine whether it is a good thing or a bad thing. Otherwise we are simply arguing from immovable standpoints which alienate the very core of debate. The essence of the debate needs to move from the very first point where we neeed to examine honestly and without prejudice the very nature of what a snob might or might not be and whether the term should be applied in a pejorative or non-pejorative sense. If you get my drift. We cannot simply assume that being a snob is a bad thing since snobs will view snobbery as a good thing, and commie bleeding-heart liberal scum will view snobbery as a bad thing.
I'm tipping that this might be the sort of stuff someone can post without fear of some 'scum' taking offence (apart from the last bit lol).

But anyway..
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:57 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

But Burby, what about bleeding-heart liberal snobs like me?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Seasider
But Burby, what about bleeding-heart liberal snobs like me?
I'm a snob, and so's my wife.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:14 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a snob, and so's my wife.
Don't play the slippery eel with me.