Are you a snob?

Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are you a snob?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm not but I know people who are, does that count I heard someone on the TV refer to all of Aus as Van Diemens Land the other day. It confused me slightly but as I'm hardly an expert on Australian history I let it go
Yep. Van Diemen's Land was Tasmania. The mainland was called New Holland until the New South Wales colony was established (which incorporated what is now NSW, Qld, Vic, SA, Tassie, NT and ACT) at which point what is now WA was called New Holland.

Just as a side note (and because it annoys the Kiwis), New Zealand became part of New South Wales for about a year before it became a separate colony.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 18th 2009 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
You know, I've been checking out many of the threads on the forum today and it occurred to me that I was reading the outpourings of a load of snobs. The same old regulars, looking down their noses at all these horrible, inferior, lower class people, places and products in Van Diemens land.

So - you posters know who you are - put me straight. Are your musings the truth, or merely the high-pitched whining of a load of up 'emselves middle class little Englanders with too much time on their hands? Hmmm?

But there isn't a class system in Australia. Everyone is equal.

In fact those huge private yachts in Sydney harbour are all owned by shop assistants.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I've been checking out many of the threads on the forum today and it occurred to me that I was reading the outpourings of a load of snobs. The same old regulars, looking down their noses at all these horrible, inferior, lower class people, places and products in Van Diemens land.

So - you posters know who you are - put me straight. Are your musings the truth, or merely the high-pitched whining of a load of up 'emselves middle class little Englanders with too much time on their hands? Hmmm?

Scottish Council scheme background so I'm not a snob.However,in so called classless socities like Australia I find the show of money makes me cringe.Aussie attempts at being "classy" have me pishing myself eg Some restaurants attempts at haute cuisine. I prefer the honest barbie.

I do however suffer from "Gourmand's Syndrome"

I must also confess to preferring the British lower middle class to their Australian counterparts.
One woman I met had to leave as she was "having friends round to watch Andre Reiu" on pay per view telly. What a load of shite
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kevin747
Scottish Council scheme background so I'm not a snob.However,in so called classless socities like Australia I find the show of money makes me cringe.Aussie attempts at being "classy" have me pishing myself eg Some restaurants attempts at haute cuisine. I prefer the honest barbie.

I do however suffer from "Gourmand's Syndrome"

I must also confess to preferring the British lower middle class to their Australian counterparts.
One woman I met had to leave as she was "having friends round to watch Andre Reiu" on pay per view telly. What a load of shite
The whole classless society thing makes me laugh. It is just utter nonsense.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:14 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno, Hutch - not sure of your definition. What do you think?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Dunno, Hutch - not sure of your definition. What do you think?
Hutch is a bit of a hand grenade poster these days... chuck one in and then leg it while the explosion goes off.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 18th 2009 at 11:38 pm. Reason: used posters real name in error
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:42 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Surely not! That would be....gosh, hardly dare suggest it...that would be...like...a "troll"?

I'm beginning to think he's hacked my PC as about the time he posted this I was chatting on MSN to another BE member about reverse snobbery.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Hutch is a bit of a hand grenade poster these days... chuck one in and then leg it while the explosion goes off.
You mean just to be controversial?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
You mean just to be controversial?
I couldn't possibly comment.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Surely not! That would be....gosh, hardly dare suggest it...that would be...like...a "troll"?
Hutch turning into a troll....hmmmm. I'm sure he will be along soon to challenge that.
I'm beginning to think he's hacked my PC as about the time he posted this I was chatting on MSN to another BE member about reverse snobbery.
Give him a ring and get him to come out and fix it then
Old Jan 18th 2009, 11:54 pm
Auntie Fa

No way - that's just asking to be spied on.

(I've got my own professional IT Geek, thanks. Not that our home network ever runs well. )

Last edited by Kooky.; Jan 19th 2009 at 12:20 am. Reason: typo highlighting my lack of intelligence
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future

Or in terms of snobbery are you referring to those that only post in response to others and waste no time in belittling as it were?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 12:15 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
But there isn't a class system in Australia. Everyone is equal.

In fact those huge private yachts in Sydney harbour are all owned by shop assistants.

*wipes eyes*

Em x
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum is a snob which is funny as she came from a very large poor family in Hackney.I remember when Eastenders started and I asked her if she was going to watch it as she was an Eastender and she went madMy Dad had to tell me never to ask her againI have always been a disappointment to her but then again she has my snobby brother to be proud of
Old Jan 19th 2009, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

And is it true that you've morphed into a good old, chip-on-the-shoulder, inverted snob that is the stereotypical Aussie?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.