Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you selfish for not wanting kids?

Wikiposts

Are you selfish for not wanting kids?

Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are you selfish for not wanting kids?

Originally Posted by Geordie George
(ETA: that should be childfree, right iPom?!
Right! Doesn't 'childless' sound a bit well, sad.... ?

We're planning to move home and have children. So, in August, I stopped BC (and that was scary! Talking about it is fine, acting on it is something else!). And next year we're away to raise a family, amongst family (at least for the first few years). Because, for us, that's what's important.

Lots of events in life can make you rethink things. Emigrating is one of them. This isn't where I was expecting my life to head. Still, it's all part of some tapestry or other, I expect. Changing your mind is allowed.

(Big disclaimer: this is us. It doesn't apply to everyone! And just before anyone jumps on me about leaving Aus - we expect to ping pong. You've got to have a hobby, right?!)
That is so cool! Aw, I'm really pleased for you guys. You'll both make fabulous parents.
If you're going to ping pong, just make sure you stay in touch with us all here and let us know how you get on.
And possible baby pics, ok?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:15 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

i have always loved your attitude mate. i just love the way you decide how u want to live your life.
good luck to you both with anything you do
oh and great post lol

OK, so if we're doing confessions ...

Mr GG and I have been together for ... it will be 13 years next March. He's always wanted children, I never have. Before we got married, it was spelled out in no uncertain terms that we would not be having children. I am not maternal. I didn't want the responsibility. I wanted to be able to go wherever, whenever we chose, without the hassle of thinking about childcare.

And then we got to Aus. And I started to do some serious thinking about what life means (to me) and what I want out of it. And being able to drink all night and enjoy a cracking hangover the next day is increasingly looking less appealing (though I still indulge ). And, for me, I suddenly got it. I live in the best city on earth and it doesn't matter. That's not important. Because what's important is not where you live your life, it's who you share it with.

DH and I have enjoyed 12 happy, childless (ETA: that should be childfree, right iPom?!) years together. It's been a great foundation to really get to know each other. But now we're ready to live a different life. And that's why we'll be moving back to Blighty next year. We're planning to move home and have children. So, in August, I stopped BC (and that was scary! Talking about it is fine, acting on it is something else!). And next year we're away to raise a family, amongst family (at least for the first few years). Because, for us, that's what's important.

Lots of events in life can make you rethink things. Emigrating is one of them. This isn't where I was expecting my life to head. Still, it's all part of some tapestry or other, I expect. Changing your mind is allowed.

(Big disclaimer: this is us. It doesn't apply to everyone! And just before anyone jumps on me about leaving Aus - we expect to ping pong. You've got to have a hobby, right?!)
Old Oct 17th 2006, 5:22 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

You two have made me blush! I'm off to do some uni work. Later, taters.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have been reading this thread with interest, we are 45 & 44 and we don't have any kids.
In the early days of marriage we tried for kids and nothing happened, we had all the tests and nothing was wrong with either of us. We then decided that we were trying because it was expected of us not because we really wanted them and that we really didn't want them anyway.

That was about 15 years ago and we have had all the "what about when your old, lonely etc" well I really don't give a toss anymore about what people think. I love looking after my Nephews 13 & 5, but when we give them back it is bliss.

We still get the "you will regret it" rubbish, how can you regret something that never happened if that was the case I have loads of regrets. Such as I regret never going to bed with Maria Sharapova, not climbing Everest, never scoring the winner for Chelsea in the FA Cup final etc.

My SIL is doing our bit for the world population in having 7 kids under 8 years of age at 32 :scared:

Apart from all that Julie would have made a lousy mother, she is the sort of person who wants to slap other peoples kids when they scream in the supermarket.

John

Last edited by jond; Oct 17th 2006 at 11:17 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:45 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jond
My SIL is doing our bit for the world population in having 7 kids under 8 years of age at 32 :scared:
jeez that is scary
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:50 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond

John
OMG I was tired just reading that

With their birthdays and christmas bet you couldn't afford any anyway

Only joking.....I have 2 who are on hols with grandma for 5 days its heaven wondering why I ever bothered but by the time there back I'll have missed them loads...As with everything its a choice we make and nobody should be judged for the choice they make. To have children because they'll look after you when your old is the most selfish bloody reason I've heard.
A
xx
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
jeez that is scary
Your not wrong, I was laying in bed the other night listening to Julie giving her thoughts on it to her Mum on the phone
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:14 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, so if we're doing confessions ...

Mr GG and I have been together for ... it will be 13 years next March. He's always wanted children, I never have. Before we got married, it was spelled out in no uncertain terms that we would not be having children. I am not maternal. I didn't want the responsibility. I wanted to be able to go wherever, whenever we chose, without the hassle of thinking about childcare.

And then we got to Aus. And I started to do some serious thinking about what life means (to me) and what I want out of it. And being able to drink all night and enjoy a cracking hangover the next day is increasingly looking less appealing (though I still indulge ). And, for me, I suddenly got it. I live in the best city on earth and it doesn't matter. That's not important. Because what's important is not where you live your life, it's who you share it with.

DH and I have enjoyed 12 happy, childless (ETA: that should be childfree, right iPom?!) years together. It's been a great foundation to really get to know each other. But now we're ready to live a different life. And that's why we'll be moving back to Blighty next year. We're planning to move home and have children. So, in August, I stopped BC (and that was scary! Talking about it is fine, acting on it is something else!). And next year we're away to raise a family, amongst family (at least for the first few years). Because, for us, that's what's important.

all i can say is OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

(ps. i think youre great x )
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:44 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
all i can say is OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

(ps. i think youre great x )

I just re-read it - and it may come across like I'm pregnant already and I'm not - we start trying in the new year. Do I have to give all the karma back?

I am soooooo looking forward to the trying.

Hope you're well, J. x
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:53 am

I just re-read it - and it may come across like I'm pregnant already and I'm not - we start trying in the new year. Do I have to give all the karma back?

I am soooooo looking forward to the trying.

Hope you're well, J. x
i wasnt under the impression that you were preggers already mate but i still think OH MY GOD!!

YAY you mate.

not long now kiddo - about 4/5 weeks

when you planning on coming back over the water?
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:57 am
Cup of tea, Father?

i wasnt under the impression that you were preggers already mate but i still think OH MY GOD!!

YAY you mate.

not long now kiddo - about 4/5 weeks

when you planning on coming back over the water?

We're planning on being back in July 2007 (summer, winter - my seasons are all over the friggin' place!). We get to start trying in February. If I keep to the plan ...

4 or 5 weeks?!!! Wow! That has gone so quickly. Are you completely sick to death of being pregnant now?!
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:01 am

We're planning on being back in July 2007 (summer, winter - my seasons are all over the friggin' place!). We get to start trying in February. If I keep to the plan ...

4 or 5 weeks?!!! Wow! That has gone so quickly. Are you completely sick to death of being pregnant now?!

completely and utterly mate. i look like a weeble.

be careful with your timing mate - you dont want to be squeezed into your seat on the plane - hell its uncomfortable at the best of times!!
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:08 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

be careful with your timing mate - you dont want to be squeezed into your seat on the plane - hell its uncomfortable at the best of times!!
I looked like the Micheline man in drag for my first one... Things haven't improved either.

GG, yours will be a little football type thing on your front... you've got that sort of body type - which is good. Nice high up, first baby, less backache. You'll be fine!
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:08 am
Cup of tea, Father?

If I don't get at least three months of practice, I'll feel cheated. It'll be our first, so ... I dunno. These things work themselves out. I get scared if I put too much thought into it. And Mr GG refuses to think about it on the grounds it removes spontaneity. We're gonna be responsible parents, eh?!

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down. It's tenuous, but it's the best I've got. Sorry. It must be good to be home though and practically picking up from where you left off! That must be comforting?
Old Oct 20th 2006, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by iPom
I looked like the Micheline man in drag for my first one... Things haven't improved either.

GG, yours will be a little football type thing on your front... you've got that sort of body type - which is good. Nice high up, first baby, less backache. You'll be fine!

yeah a knot in a piece of string whereas i look like the whole ball

p'ah!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.