Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you a sceptic or a believer?

Are you a sceptic or a believer?

Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:12 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are you a sceptic or a believer?

I went into a shop today and picked up a leaflet advertising a vocal harmony group. I was really interested until the shopkeeper told me that the lady who runs it is a great healer. Apparently when everyone harmonises together, she can summon the angels

Last week, a few of us were in the lunch room and one person said they were off to see a psychic at the weekend. Out of the 4 of us around the table, I was the only sceptic.

I just find all this stuff so hard to believe but I have met many people who absolutely believe it.

What are your views? Have you had any experiences?
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:27 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you a sceptic or a believer?

When i sing karaoke i can also summon angels,back to my bedsit
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I went into a shop today and picked up a leaflet advertising a vocal harmony group. I was really interested until the shopkeeper told me that the lady who runs it is a great healer. Apparently when everyone harmonises together, she can summon the angels

Last week, a few of us were in the lunch room and one person said they were off to see a psychic at the weekend. Out of the 4 of us around the table, I was the only sceptic.

I just find all this stuff so hard to believe but I have met many people who absolutely believe it.

Faith can be in terms of religion or in yourself

Me Myself and I have our own psychic ability

For many women it has been a religious experience (OMG, JC) just sometimes not in same tone.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite sad that after years of education (should that be "education" in quotes?) so many people are willing to be taken in by crystals, waving of hands, homeopathy and the like. But a quick glance at any bookshop will show you yards of shelf space filled with books by quacks, deluded, fraudsters and the misinformed.

It's ironic that almost all the people taken in by quackery will happily buy and use their iPads, mobiles, TVs etc - all of which only came about because of the use of the scientific method - yet will equally happily ignore all evidence that shows their beliefs are misplaced.

It's called cognitive dissonance, I think.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:39 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I want to be a sceptic however a few times things have happened that are too freaky to be anything but *strange* and I can't explain them which leaves me wondering if there is something else out there
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
It's quite sad that after years of education (should that be "education" in quotes?) so many people are willing to be taken in by crystals, waving of hands, homeopathy and the like. But a quick glance at any bookshop will show you yards of shelf space filled with books by quacks, deluded, fraudsters and the misinformed.

It's ironic that almost all the people taken in by quackery will happily buy and use their iPads, mobiles, TVs etc - all of which only came about because of the use of the scientific method - yet will equally happily ignore all evidence that shows their beliefs are misplaced.

It's like driving really. Same applies.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Agree.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I want to be a sceptic however a few times things have happened that are too freaky to be anything but *strange* and I can't explain them which leaves me wondering if there is something else out there
I too have had some physical experiences which have made me think that there must be something else.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:56 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Would any of the people who have had experiences be wiling to share? I am genuinely interested.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:59 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Would any of the people who have had experiences be wiling to share? I am genuinely interested.
Yer slowly losing yer scepticism
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:03 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Yer slowly losing yer scepticism
I'm easily swayed

No, I just like to hear people's experiences. I don't doubt the experience just the interpretation.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:21 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

OK: here's one that I cannot explain - but, like UFOs, that doesn't in any way imply there HAS to be a supernatural explanation.

A few months after we arrived in Oz we were doing the usual frantic round of open houses: this one was in Eleanora Heights on the Northern Beaches.

It was a solidly built, stone, house with pool, servants' quarters dating from the early 1900s.

Mrs Wol (who is just as much a sceptic as I) told me as we left that she was unable to spend any time in the scullery area: she sensed a nastiness, associated with a very strange smell. She just couldn't stay there. I certainly hadn't noticed anything at all.

We revisited the place some time later, and discovered that it was built for a Sydney "Sausage King" (Made his fortune from them) whose maid had disappeared in"unusual" circumstances.

Some time later we were talking to an agent - who was nothing to do with this house, or us, and mentioned the experience. He immediately knew which place we were referring to, and expressed surprise that the exorcism that had apparently been called on it hadn't worked.

Later still the house's agent admitted that there had been "issues" with some peoples' experiences in the house before.

Now, neither of us had been told, or heard about anything like this prior to talking to the agent. I suppose we might have heard something subliminally but I don't think so.

So there you are: that's first hand, not something you hear third or fourth hand. I can't explain it, but I'd still be willing to bet that there's a completely logical explanation somewhere.

Last edited by Wol; Sep 5th 2013 at 11:24 am.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:29 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to someone about the Ouija board one night and we were laughing about the stupidity of it and because we didn't believe in it we decided to give it a go.

To cut a long story short it came up with a name and it spelled something that didn't make sense "krebs".

I mentioned a few days later to my mother that her deceased brother in law came through and he spelled his wifes name (my mums sister who was still alive) and the word "krebs" which we didn't know

My mums sister is German - and the German word for cancer is krebs.

A year later my mums sister was diagnosed with cancer
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:34 am
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I was talking to someone about the Ouija board one night and we were laughing about the stupidity of it and because we didn't believe in it we decided to give it a go.

To cut a long story short it came up with a name and it spelled something that didn't make sense "krebs".

I mentioned a few days later to my mother that her deceased brother in law came through and he spelled his wifes name (my mums sister who was still alive) and the word "krebs" which we didn't know

My mums sister is German - and the German word for cancer is krebs.

A year later my mums sister was diagnosed with cancer
Be thankful it wasn't crabs
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:44 am
Happy migrant

My mum says that when I was a baby she was woken up one night. My Dad was away at sea and my brother was sleeping soundly. She says she woke to find the bedroom light on and the curtains open, not something she would normally do. She could feel an ache in her arm like someone had been shaking or tapping her. When she went into my nursery I had wriggled under the covers and she thought I wasn't breathing.
To this day she thinks "someone" woke her to stop me being a cot death.
I think she was an anxious Mum who woke up and believed what she wanted to believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.