Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

You know you are in Australia when...

You know you are in Australia when...

Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:39 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you are in Australia when...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The property buying/selling system we have here is one of the things that is light years ahead of England. Property conveyancing in England and Wales is a joke

Then there's their leasehold system.......
It really is. It brings such unnecessary stress into the lives of people buying and selling houses.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:31 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
That would be in England, not the UK.
oh that's right Scotland changed their rules didn't they
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
makes you wonder why UK takes so long to buy and sell a house and all the pulling out at the last minute etc. Crackers system in UK, bloody great here
Indeed! Was all done and dusted last week already. Just waiting for the 30th day for settlement and the tenants to move out (as per their contract).
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:40 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Indeed! Was all done and dusted last week already. Just waiting for the 30th day for settlement and the tenants to move out (as per their contract).
really pleased for you mate - it's all the sweeter as it's going to happen quick with none of the messing about with lawyers etc. You must be stoked - not long now til you get your own piece of Aus mate
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

makes you wonder why UK takes so long to buy and sell a house and all the pulling out at the last minute etc. Crackers system in UK, bloody great here
I was in a chain for over 7 months for the last house that I bought in the UK - I really wanted the place. 1 week before exchange the seller hit me up for another GBP15k or 'the deal is off'. I managed to get them down to GBP8k - annoying but the market was booming back then (made over 100% on the place when we sold just before moving here). An absolute clusterf**k of a conveyancing system

Anyone who moans about the system here or unethical agents and vendors never experienced the housing market in SE England in the late '90s/early 2000's..........
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a chain for over 7 months for the last house that I bought in the UK - I really wanted the place. 1 week before exchange the seller hit me up for another GBP15k or 'the deal is off'. I managed to get them down to GBP8k - annoying but the market was booming back then (made over 100% on the place when we sold just before moving here). An absolute clusterf**k of a conveyancing system

Anyone who moans about the system here or unethical agents and vendors never experienced the housing market in SE England in the late '90s/early 2000's..........
Yeah, the gazumping and gazundering sucks over there!

When I made the offer here, the EA closed the books to any other offers there and then and went straight to the vendor with the offer. We discussed it afterwards and she said if you make the offer first and it is accepted, no higher offers can be considered!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:03 am

Agree - we sold and bought a few in UK and it was always a bloody fiasco - took all the feel good out of buying somewhere new

Yeah, the gazumping and gazundering sucks over there!

When I made the offer here, the EA closed the books to any other offers there and then and went straight to the vendor with the offer. We discussed it afterwards and she said if you make the offer first and it is accepted, no higher offers can be considered!
Actually mate this did happen to us a couple of months ago. The effin RE Agent turned out to be a real shark - he said our offer was accepted and just as we were booking the B & P and about to sign the contract the wanker called us up and said another better offer had been accepted

Anyway it turned out to be for the best cos we found an even better house and because we needed to move in within 2 weeks we were in a position to negotiate strong - we got a $50k reduction

Our solicitor said a 2 week turnaround couldn't be done - we bet a bottle of plonk and I won

Good luck with the move mate it's a great feeling
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Agree - we sold and bought a few in UK and it was always a bloody fiasco - took all the feel good out of buying somewhere new

Actually mate this did happen to us a couple of months ago. The effin RE Agent turned out to be a real shark - he said our offer was accepted and just as we were booking the B & P and about to sign the contract the wanker called us up and said another better offer had been accepted

Anyway it turned out to be for the best cos we found an even better house and because we needed to move in within 2 weeks we were in a position to negotiate strong - we got a $50k reduction

Our solicitor said a 2 week turnaround couldn't be done - we bet a bottle of plonk and I won

Good luck with the move mate it's a great feeling
I think in general in 'Aus', there are far less chains and a lot less gazumping.

I bought once in the UK - it was only stress free as I was not selling myself - yet there were delays as all players in the chain danced around...
until everyone was ready...it was like a house share of women all ovulating...suddenly they all decided they were all going to do it at the same time..

or something...crap analogy, sorry.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 10:23 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

beat you by a day, settle on the 29th Congrats
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

From putting in an offer and then moving in?
Yes, 2 weeks exactly as I recall. They even left the furniture in the house, the whole thing was totally stress free. I have only bought one house here and bought and sold one in Australia. Buying the Australian one was really easy, selling it was a complete PITA, the buyer asked for 3 extensions of the settlement date and each time the solicitor would phone about 5 minutes before the deadline. Their bank were useless and kept requesting more paperwork from them and proof of this and that. It was a nightmare.

I have to ask referring to the matter of chains, why would there be less chains in Australia? Do buyers sell their place then move into a rental before buying another place? Gazumping seems to happen everywhere but Scotland where it has quite rightly been outlawed.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
beat you by a day, settle on the 29th Congrats

Cheers!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:37 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
house swap holidays
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes, 2 weeks exactly as I recall. They even left the furniture in the house, the whole thing was totally stress free. I have only bought one house here and bought and sold one in Australia. Buying the Australian one was really easy, selling it was a complete PITA, the buyer asked for 3 extensions of the settlement date and each time the solicitor would phone about 5 minutes before the deadline. Their bank were useless and kept requesting more paperwork from them and proof of this and that. It was a nightmare.

I have to ask referring to the matter of chains, why would there be less chains in Australia? Do buyers sell their place then move into a rental before buying another place? Gazumping seems to happen everywhere but Scotland where it has quite rightly been outlawed.
The searches alone generally take longer than two weeks in England, and some time between exchange and completion. I obviously don't know all the details, but it would be interesting to know.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
house swap holidays
I'd have field day in your house. Yeah Baby!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:42 am
Shiny Arse Know All

I'd have field day in your house. Yeah Baby!
CINCNAGHOME won't be there you know

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.