Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you happy with your 'lot'?

Are you happy with your 'lot'?

Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:25 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Are you happy with your 'lot'?

I am, we have a fat mortgage but still manage to overpay on it (not a huge amount but enough), we have a little 3 bedroom house that needs renovating which will get done at some point no doubt, we dont have alot left over on payday but are well insured.

We have good friends, nice neighbours on our street, both have jobs - well sometimes we get pissed off with 'office politics' but on the whole, we are happy, been in the job over 2 years now.

I have shit loads of worry with family and friends back in the UK and feel pretty helpless, but today I went to Caversham with a couple of work pals and we were sitting in the picnic area afterwards - just outside the wildlife park when a green parrot jumped on our table.

It was one of those moments where I thought that life is quite good, not perfect but good and that is enough for me.

Some people want more excitement and certainly a few years ago Perth would have been too boring for me, perhaps I am an 'oldie' I don't know, but I can honestly say I am happy with my little lot.

What do you want out of life, are you happy where you are or have you not found your 'settling' place as yet?

I used to think 'normal' was boring but after the past 12 months, normal and ordinary sound pretty good to me - I like my life now.

Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you happy with your 'lot'?

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am, we have a fat mortgage but still manage to overpay on it (not a huge amount but enough), we have a little 3 bedroom house that needs renovating which will get done at some point no doubt, we dont have alot left over on payday but are well insured.

We have good friends, nice neighbours on our street, both have jobs - well sometimes we get pissed off with 'office politics' but on the whole, we are happy, been in the job over 2 years now.

I have shit loads of worry with family and friends back in the UK and feel pretty helpless, but today I went to Caversham with a couple of work pals and we were sitting in the picnic area afterwards - just outside the wildlife park when a green parrot jumped on our table.

It was one of those moments where I thought that life is quite good, not perfect but good and that is enough for me.

Some people want more excitement and certainly a few years ago Perth would have been too boring for me, perhaps I am an 'oldie' I don't know, but I can honestly say I am happy with my little lot.

What do you want out of life, are you happy where you are or have you not found your 'settling' place as yet?

I used to think 'normal' was boring but after the past 12 months, normal and ordinary sound pretty good to me - I like my life now.

Yes. Don't you know there is a load of sport on right now?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

I had 'that' moment last week. Although it's been colder in Perth recently the sky was blue and cloudless, there was a great tune on the radio and everything was right with my world.

Now if only we could stay!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:02 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yes. Don't you know there is a load of sport on right now?
Mr PP is fast asleep on the sofa after fighting to stay awake to watch the footy, he tried to tell me that he will be awake to cheer the England boys on and I can hear him snoring.

Ive put the dog in his bed in the laundry room, the cat is asleep now I bet if I tell Mr PP to go to bed he will say 'I was watching that' and then go back to sleep again.

Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by galba
I had 'that' moment last week. Although it's been colder in Perth recently the sky was blue and cloudless, there was a great tune on the radio and everything was right with my world.

Now if only we could stay!
How come you cant stay?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:05 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very happy at the moment.
Great husband and kids, good job, hobbies I enjoy and decent friends.

It's nice to feel this way but doesn't stop me wanting to try new things.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Mr PP is fast asleep on the sofa after fighting to stay awake to watch the footy, he tried to tell me that he will be awake to cheer the England boys on and I can hear him snoring.

Ive put the dog in his bed in the laundry room, the cat is asleep now I bet if I tell Mr PP to go to bed he will say 'I was watching that' and then go back to sleep again.

I was like that until England got their penalty try.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kapri
I'm very happy at the moment.
Great husband and kids, good job, hobbies I enjoy and decent friends.

It's nice to feel this way but doesn't stop me wanting to try new things.
I know what you mean, I do get scared to rock the boat sometimes as its taken a long time to get to where I am (in my head), even when we lived in the UK I was never settled.

Can I just say that my new mattress is being delivered on Monday and I am very excited and will be even more happy with my lot.

Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:08 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just say that my new mattress is being delivered on Monday and I am very excited and will be even more happy with my lot.

Well, obviously it will need to have a lot of testing - bound to put a smile on your face
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Yes I'm happy, I've got a great wife and two lovely boys. We haven't got our own place yet in Perth, still have a house to sell in the UK but have got a rental which is in a great location and is only 20 mins drive to work. Have made some good genuine friends and much prefer the climate compared to the UK. I'm lucky to have a good job which means we are comfortable and can go back to the UK every couple of years to see family.
Of course there are things I miss about the UK, mainly family and friends but I truly believe Oz is a better place to raise a young family.
Will we stay permanently, who knows what lies around the corner, but for now I don't see us leaving Perth.
I love coming home after work during the summer months to find the boys ready with their armbands to go for a swim in the pool, the winter months are great as we can go for long walks in the woods or ride the bikes.
So yes, in conclusion, I'm happy with our current situation
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:12 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

If I may point you to "Reasons to be Cheerful"

Can anyone tell me how to show the link to it without quoting the whole thing?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
If I may point you to "Reasons to be Cheerful"

Can anyone tell me how to show the link to it without quoting the whole thing?
Found it - good thread

Its nice being happy
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

well,after finding happiness here and possibly getting away with life threatening illness this year twice,the only thing that makes me unhappy is that happiness could be snatched away...

sometimes people want more as ive done all my life to be honest,its a shame that sometimes people dont realise that you have all the happiness you need,but dont realise until its to late..

the best things in life are free...............apart from the fact you could do with about 100 grand a year to pay for em!!!!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by brummy
well,after finding happiness here and possibly getting away with life threatening illness this year twice,the only thing that makes me unhappy is that happiness could be snatched away...

sometimes people want more as ive done all my life to be honest,its a shame that sometimes people dont realise that you have all the happiness you need,but dont realise until its to late..

the best things in life are free...............apart from the fact you could do with about 100 grand a year to pay for em!!!!
That is so very true, I was greedy in various areas of my life, when my husband had his car crash last year and I came close to losing him, suddenly everything seemed pointless if he wasnt there to share it.

Now I am grateful, or at least alot more than I was. You really dont realise what you have until you lose it and to come so close, well lets just say that we are lucky to have a second chance in life which is how I look at it.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

That is so very true, I was greedy in various areas of my life, when my husband had his car crash last year and I came close to losing him, suddenly everything seemed pointless if he wasnt there to share it.

Now I am grateful, or at least alot more than I was. You really dont realise what you have until you lose it and to come so close, well lets just say that we are lucky to have a second chance in life which is how I look at it.
i wish i was one of those wise people that dont have to experience things to learn from them,4o odd years ive been plugging away doing my own thing always wanting more.....strange i dont have everything i always wanted,i was one of the mob that came here looking for boats,cars etc,going to change the world, all the bullshit stuff.....
i could'nt care less about all that stuff now....i had everything i wanted in life before i came here,i just did not realise i had it.....the fact i can enjoy it all here(or should i say them) in the sun is just one big bonus...!

funny ol life eh?

Last edited by aston; Jun 12th 2010 at 5:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.