Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are you going back to the UK for good? Never going back? or only on holiday?

Are you going back to the UK for good? Never going back? or only on holiday?

Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:05 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you going back to the UK for good? Never going back? or only on holiday?

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Agreed. People who ask for input on their personal relationships is one thing. People who don't are off limits. And I can't say that I've really seen many people asking for public comment on their marriage.
Now now, you're MBTTUK - what're you in here for
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:07 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you going back to the UK for good? Never going back? or only on holiday?

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Now now, you're MBTTUK - what're you in here for
Like I said in there. I live in Aus. It must be a terribly tricky concept to grasp.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the ease of communication and the fact that people coming here these days, in the main, have more money at their disposal makes it much harder for some to settle.
I suffered horrendous homesickness for quite some time. Don't think it was helped by the fact that I was stuck in a small flat with 3 boys under 4 and my OH had to leave before 6am and not get home 'til after midnight. Phone far too expensive and ofcourse, no internet. I spent hours writing letters whilst feeling so sorry for myself. However, in the end, like many others, I came to the conclusion that I was here and so had to make the best of it. I got my first holiday home after 16 years! By that time I was very happy living in Australia and had no wish to be anywhere else. Since then I have had the oportunity to go overseas many times but after over 40 years I'm still glad I live here.
What I'm trying to say in a very round about way is, if I had had the advantages (?) of today's migrants perhaps I wounldn't have given Australia a really good go either.
Once you've made your mind up where you want/have to be make the best of it. Don't look over your shoulder.
Sorry for droning on but felt I had to get that off my chest!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:09 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said in there. I live in Aus. It must be a terribly tricky concept to grasp.
But you don't want to stay - so why use the Aussie forum instead of sticking with the MBTTUK? Tricky concept?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:11 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
But you don't want to stay - so why use the Aussie forum instead of sticking with the MBTTUK? Tricky concept?
Because I plan to ping pong. Tricky concept?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:14 pm
Banned

More like stange concept - but 'each to their own' as they say. Not necessarily for your own good self, but shouldn't there be a new forum called "Can't make my mind up what I want"?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:13 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Am I going back to the UK for good... what? Good food? Good shops? Good times? Yes to all three
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:24 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Still undecided on this one.

At the moment we'll probably stay (been here 12 months) but when I look at the bigger picture (staying away from family FOREVER) then I get big doubts.

We'll prob review the situation when we've been here for 2 years
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice

Is that Ping pong between Aussie and MBTTUK sites or moving back and fourth between Australia and UK
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't we just all play nicely?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:26 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
Exactly, you've made a choice so you need to try and be positive not negative about that choice and not constantly wish you were somewhere else or you are setting yourself up to never be happy and that's not good for anyone.
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'd rather we all not publicy talk about each other's relationships and circumstances or comment even online. Some of us know each other and its not nice to read. I for one hope Polly and her bloke get on with their life.
Agreed. People who ask for input on their personal relationships is one thing. People who don't are off limits. And I can't say that I've really seen many people asking for public comment on their marriage.
Yes like Badge says some of us know each other, so have no intention of talking about anyones marriage (and I notice 232Bar was talking about getting on with life in Aus and not Marriage), I was talking about Australia as was Polly when she said
Originally Posted by Pollyana
I live here.That doesn't mean I have to like it.
It's nothing do with her person relationship it's about trying to be more positive about the whole Aus experience. Some people on here do want to go back to Britain so good luck to them get on and do it but, if you've (and that's a general you, as that was the original purpose of this thread the fact that the 'go backs' often give the impression nobody settles here or wants to stay) decided to stay once you've made that decision being positive about it and not constantly beating yourself up is going to help a person move on (and that's any person).

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Can't we just all play nicely?
I would rather mix with people who supported me by telling me the truth and being positive than people who patronize me and I would say anything deep and meaningful to peoples faces not on here so YES we can all play nicely and continue on with the thread with peoples opinions on:- Are you going back to the UK for good? Never going back? or only on holiday?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:33 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Just come back from a 2 week hoilday in the UK after only being in oz for 8 months. Can't say much has changed back in the UK and have no plans for going back within the next 4/5 years.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Just come back from a 2 week hoilday in the UK after only being in oz for 8 months. Can't say much has changed back in the UK and have no plans for going back within the next 4/5 years.
Was the weather the same or had it turned like France like the weather men have been promising for years?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:14 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Was the weather the same or had it turned like France like the weather men have been promising for years?
Everyone around me was in shorts and t-shirts I was the only one in a jumper!
They all kept saying aren't you lucky it's got warm, it was cold last week. Really? no Joke, could have fooled me, warm at 18deg, are the all mad?
Glad to get back home to the warmth.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Everyone around me was in shorts and t-shirts I was the only one in a jumper!
They all kept saying aren't you lucky it's got warm, it was cold last week. Really? no Joke, could have fooled me, warm at 18deg, are the all mad?
Glad to get back home to the warmth.
LOL...18 degrees is breakfast time here. Temp is starting to drop slightly now but I don't think I'll ever get back up to the UK level of clothing totally.