British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Are you clean and tidy in your home? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/you-clean-tidy-your-home-720401/)

scottishcelts Jun 11th 2011 10:51 am

Re: Are you clean and tidy in your home?

I hate hoarders and I throw everything out :o

House is always clean and starts out tidy, but as the day goes on and kids run riot it all goes to hell. :rolleyes::D

Bernieboy Jun 11th 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by scottishcelts (Post 9425635)
I hate hoarders and I throw everything out :o

House is always clean and starts out tidy, but as the day goes on and kids run riot it all goes to hell. :rolleyes::D

Shame on you blaming yer kids,are they the ones who string the teabags across the kitchen,are they the ones who take yer clothes off and parade round yer house naked drinking buckie;)

scottishcelts Jun 11th 2011 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9425642)
Shame on you blaming yer kids,are they the ones who string the teabags across the kitchen,are they the ones who take yer clothes off and parade round yer house naked drinking buckie;)

:ohmy::o

BadgeIsBack Jun 11th 2011 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9425598)
What is it in particular that people hate about ironing:blink:

Only getting out the board and topping up the iron: apart from that I don't mind ironing shirts. Would never wear wash and wear to work. It's the sort of thing that IT support workers wear..'big bang' theory watchers.

Pollyana Jun 11th 2011 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 9426465)
Only getting out the board and topping up the iron: apart from that I don't mind ironing shirts. Would never wear wash and wear to work. It's the sort of thing that IT support workers wear..'big bang' theory watchers.

Its the sort of thing a lot of us common people wear I'm afraid, but as the government provides it for free I'm not going to complain :thumbup:

Turban Explorer Jun 11th 2011 11:10 pm

you wear a shirt twice?

carolinephillips Jun 11th 2011 11:25 pm

I try to be tidy and clean, but it is fighting a losing battle against mould and a husband and daughter(teen) who think tidying is dropping stuff on the nearest surface. I scrub bathrooms each week, and hoover/dust twice a week.

I hate washing floors and I'm not into ironing, though I do it once a week early in the morning before the others get up and when it is cool in summer. I don't iron underwear but do iron sheets and t-towels if they are crumpled. I bought my OH 3 non iron shirts which are great, as I loathe his double cuff work shirts, but I still have to do at least 2 of them per week.

I do hoard certain things though as I make cards, so have lots of wrapping paper, ribbons and cardstock etc, but it is all neatly stored. Some of my clothes are also 20 years old, and I have kept my wedding dress and the first Laura Ashley red dress my OH helped me to buy (very 1980's). Periodically I get the urge to chuck out stuff/donate to charity, and find that very cathartic. I can't understand why OH has the need to keep 3 drawers full of computer cables and keyboards.

ub40fan Jun 12th 2011 2:01 am

I live with an IT geek and he doesn't have the wash n wear stuff :(

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 9426552)
I try to be tidy and clean, but it is fighting a losing battle against mould and a husband and daughter(teen) who think tidying is dropping stuff on the nearest surface. I scrub bathrooms each week, and hoover/dust twice a week.

I hate washing floors and I'm not into ironing, though I do it once a week early in the morning before the others get up and when it is cool in summer. I don't iron underwear but do iron sheets and t-towels if they are crumpled. I bought my OH 3 non iron shirts which are great, as I loathe his double cuff work shirts, but I still have to do at least 2 of them per week.

I do hoard certain things though as I make cards, so have lots of wrapping paper, ribbons and cardstock etc, but it is all neatly stored. Some of my clothes are also 20 years old, and I have kept my wedding dress and the first Laura Ashley red dress my OH helped me to buy (very 1980's). Periodically I get the urge to chuck out stuff/donate to charity, and find that very cathartic. I can't understand why OH has the need to keep 3 drawers full of computer cables and keyboards.

OMG they are the worst of the worst, and to add to my misery, he had 5 more made while we were on hols in Penang lately :curse: I'm gonna have to do the same trick i did with the washing up so we got a dishwasher 19 years ago - stop doing it so he has to do it himself :rofl:

carolinephillips Jun 12th 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by ub40fan (Post 9426765)
I live with an IT geek and he doesn't have the wash n wear stuff :(

OMG they are the worst of the worst, and to add to my misery, he had 5 more made while we were on hols in Penang lately :curse: I'm gonna have to do the same trick i did with the washing up so we got a dishwasher 19 years ago - stop doing it so he has to do it himself :rofl:

In the UK my OH had the job of ironing- so he used to send it out to be done!!! As I work only part time here, I have to do it. Have just finished a huge pile, including anpther pet hate- fitted sheets. No matter how you manage to get the creases out, they all come back when you fold them.:frown: (OH has at least 10 work shirts, all double cuff, and is thinking of getting more as, tragically, the non iron ones are getting a little threadbare on the collars.)

Kooky. Jun 12th 2011 3:38 am

My resident IT Geek (who loves The Big Bang Theory) only wears double cuffs. I don't iron shirts (I iron my own stuff about once a quarter, certainly don't do his) so they go to the laundry. It's a stretch on an IT Support Worker's salary but well worth the sacrifice ;)

Cheetah7 Jun 12th 2011 7:04 am

I have only just finished cleaning my house, Mr PP did a basic job while I have been ill but I have cleaned the tiles, shower - the whole lot. I feel weak, breathless and exhausted, had to damp dust as any sprays are upsetting my chest at the moment.

I look like a bright red/blue bloater, sweating like a pig, my legs are like jelly and I can no longer migrate off the sofa. I have deffo over done it.:(

However, my house smells very clean, my bathroom is even cleaner, fresh linen on the bed - it isnt as quite as clean as I would like but it is 80% better.

And I am glad I did it as well, it is so hard trying to keep on top of stuff with a large ginger cat and a kelpie dog that shed enough hair to make a pillow and that isnt even taking into consideration my hair that falls out.

I take my hat off to you parents trying to keep a clean home with lots of kids, I remember we had no respect for Mum when we were little, she would tidy the house, we would go and make a sandwich and drop crumbs on the floor, leave plates - no respect.:o

Fair play to any parent trying to keep a clean home, I have struggled my balls off today cleaning the house while getting over this illness and that is with only one husband, a cat and a dog.
:wub:

LittleKittyCat Jun 12th 2011 7:18 am

I am struggling with the housework etc at the moment. I have a couple of unresolved health problems which are leaving me exhausted, I have two small children (three and five), a messy husband and two cats who shed hair all over the place. I also have extra work to do because I have been approached by a shop who want to stock the jewellery I make and I don't want to miss the opportunity.

Usually the house is reasonably tidy and pretty clean, particularly the bathrooms and kitchen. At the moment it is a pig-sty! I hate it, it makes me feel depressed, and I am sure that the mess reproduces itself when I am not looking because every day it is a little bit worse! However, it will have to wait. I have my meeting with the shop on Wednesday morning, so after that is done I can put work out of my mind for a few days and get on with a deep clean and sort out. I have made hubby book two days off work to help me too, so I can get him to do the jobs that make me tired.

DeadVim Jun 12th 2011 7:22 am

We are somewhere in the middle, not spotless but not stinky either.

I am largely in charge of housework at the moment so it's in my interest to keep on top of it.

To this end I have just finished chucking out or archiving the mountain of PC gear I had kicking around.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself the question, "Will I really need a serial mouse in the future?".

northernbird Jun 12th 2011 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 9427018)
I have only just finished cleaning my house, Mr PP did a basic job while I have been ill but I have cleaned the tiles, shower - the whole lot. I feel weak, breathless and exhausted, had to damp dust as any sprays are upsetting my chest at the moment.

I look like a bright red/blue bloater, sweating like a pig, my legs are like jelly and I can no longer migrate off the sofa. I have deffo over done it.:(

However, my house smells very clean, my bathroom is even cleaner, fresh linen on the bed - it isnt as quite as clean as I would like but it is 80% better.

And I am glad I did it as well, it is so hard trying to keep on top of stuff with a large ginger cat and a kelpie dog that shed enough hair to make a pillow and that isnt even taking into consideration my hair that falls out.

I take my hat off to you parents trying to keep a clean home with lots of kids, I remember we had no respect for Mum when we were little, she would tidy the house, we would go and make a sandwich and drop crumbs on the floor, leave plates - no respect.:o

Fair play to any parent trying to keep a clean home, I have struggled my balls off today cleaning the house while getting over this illness and that is with only one husband, a cat and a dog.
:wub:

My dogs shed hair unbelievable. If I don't hoover every day I swear after 2 days I could make a whole new dog out of the hair on my floors!!

DeadVim Jun 12th 2011 7:27 am

I am an IT geek and my taste in cheap shirts is legendary.

I would rather employ Man At Big W who can do the work efficiently than a show pony.