British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Are you clean and tidy in your home? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/you-clean-tidy-your-home-720401/)

Cheetah7 Jun 10th 2011 11:29 pm

Re: Are you clean and tidy in your home?

The charity shops get my old clothes and anything I don't wear. I can't wear tatty stuff in my job and if it's stuff that I can't wear, someone else will get use of it from the charity stores.

I hate dirty cookers, work surfaces etc, I have been I'll for the past couple of weeks and haven't done my usual cleaning which bothers me, but hope to get on track today. Nothing I like better than sitting down in a clean and tidy house, with my animals it is a struggle to keep it that way but I do my best.

eddie007 Jun 11th 2011 4:42 am

With regards to clothes.... i Put away winter and get out summer... I havent brought anything new clothes wise for me apart from a fleece since arriving nearly four years ago... Stocked up on sloggis and tescos sports bras and M&S plain black Ts before I came, All the clothes I have are non dating... Nothing fashionable... Have been known to hit the charity shops tho... You wouldnt BELIEVE what people get rid of!!!

I'm lucky wearing a uniform to work... Tho I do have a wardrobe full of smart casual/office wear too... All classics... Nothing dateable... And a couple of suits... One black chanel that is a FOEVER suit...

Same with shoes... I have more than immelda... But they are classics, work shoes and my doc martin collection that I could never part with... brought myself new trainers.. But the hop a long kid and kevin have to same shoe size so I loose them quite quickly

May have to buy new jeans coz none of them fit anymore...

My walkin wardrobe IS a disaster area... HE doesnt understand why I need so many clothes... But then what man does understand a woman and her clothing?

northernbird Jun 11th 2011 5:01 am

Originally Posted by al150n (Post 9424087)
I'm not the best at housework. Generally the house is clean & tidy but with 2 small kids & a husband that seem incapable of picking up after themselves I sometimes get to the point where I can't be bothered.

The dusting & hoovering gets done when it looks like it needs doing. Beds are always made before the school run & the washing machine seems to be on permanently. But I'm not great when it comes to the ironing so there is always more waiting to be ironed than there is stuff in the wardrobes. And before anyone says don't iron it just fold it, I've tried that but I think there is a bit of OCD, I even iron flannels & t-towels :o

Alison x

I am a bit like that. 2 kids, 2 dogs and a lazy husband are not conducive to a perfect home. My toilets are always clean, the beds are always made and the kitchen bench is clear. I am not a hoarder and I don't have a lot of clutter around the place. My home is a home, not a show house.

eddie007 Jun 11th 2011 5:14 am

i like having poeple round to our house as often as possible, its guarenteed to get decluttered and a thorough cleaning when we do...

I cant stand dirty, untidy, cluttered bathrooms... Those get swiped over every day...

Kooky. Jun 11th 2011 5:23 am

Always tidy - bit of OCD - and no clutter but really hate housework so, whilst it always looks cleanish (kitchen and bathrooms definitely are), my mother would turn in her grave at the lack of hoovering and dusting that goes on.

Full clean happens once a fortnight, $85 well-spent :) although I do use a dustbuster every morning to clean up bits of catlit that have strayed out of the laundry room.

I have some clothes I left the UK with in 2002; I say if you're never in fashion, you're never out of fashion :lol:

Turban Explorer Jun 11th 2011 6:05 am

I'm retentive in the extreme. The boat is a high maintenance as its smaller than a house - so needs to be tidied and polished to an inch of its life every day, with German-like efficiency, inside and out. Him indoors is always fiddling with engine and mechanical things which I dump on his bed when he leaves them around longer than my tolerance slot (he has to sleep alone as snores like a wooly mammoth).

I brush and hoover the cat daily so he doesn't shed hair all over the place and I wish he would put his toys back in the wigwam thing I bought for him which he refuses to enter.

Kooky. Jun 11th 2011 6:16 am

I wish I could train mine to do this.

Turban Explorer Jun 11th 2011 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9425341)
I wish I could train mine to do this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1YRhxCXCM0o

mull grips and ruhipnol?

Swerv-o Jun 11th 2011 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9425331)
I'm retentive in the extreme. The boat is a high maintenance as its smaller than a house - so needs to be tidied and polished to an inch of its life every day, with German-like efficiency, inside and out. Him indoors is always fiddling with engine and mechanical things which I dump on his bed when he leaves them around longer than my tolerance slot (he has to sleep alone as snores like a wooly mammoth).

I brush and hoover the cat daily so he doesn't shed hair all over the place and I wish he would put his toys back in the wigwam thing I bought for him which he refuses to enter.

Didn't stop you spilling all that wine though :sneaky:

S

Turban Explorer Jun 11th 2011 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 9425354)
Didn't stop you spilling all that wine though :sneaky:

S

Sadly not. A momentary lapse in my otherwise impenetrable cleanliness regime. :thumbdown:

Swerv-o Jun 11th 2011 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9425360)
Sadly not. A momentary lapse in my otherwise impenetrable cleanliness regime. :thumbdown:

Ah well, we all have off days...

S

ub40fan Jun 11th 2011 8:21 am

I absolutely love a clean and tidy house - however with 2 teenagers at home and the OH not seeing clutter (his mother is a pack rat of the highest order!) my battles are constant and ongoing!

What gets me is when you clean the house, the kids or himself come along go in the kitchen, make a cuppa or a sarnie and it looks like a tornado has been throuigh it!

Having spent 20+ years moving around with the army we decluttered regularly, but we seem to be hoarding stuff in the garage now :frown:. it can't fit a car in, his motorobike is a bit of a squeeze, and it's a double!!! Houses had to be handed back cleaner than clean, so with that still ingrained I have a good top to bottom clean once a month, a tidy up all through once a week and if we have visitors coming I go all out and give it all a once over.

My pet hate is ironing though, so I can watch that build up for a couple of weeks and then try and plough through it with a film on and maybe a glass of wine :) it make the pain more bearable!

Bernieboy Jun 11th 2011 10:12 am

What is it in particular that people hate about ironing:blink:

ub40fan Jun 11th 2011 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 9425598)
What is it in particular that people hate about ironing:blink:

It's a mind numblingly boring thankless task, that needs repeating forever.
And when it's 40 degrees outside the last thing you want to do is stand and use a hot implement for hours on end. Not so bad in the winter I wil admit.

Add that to the fact that during my basic training my Sgt impressed on us the importance of "creases girls, creases! I want to see them stand out!" so much it means that even now (28 years later) I find myself ironing creases in my t-shirts, shirts, tops etc. Though thankfully I no longer have the urge to put darts up the backs of shirts or iron jumpers ;)

Bernieboy Jun 11th 2011 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ub40fan (Post 9425614)
It's a mind numblingly boring thankless task, that needs repeating forever.
And when it's 40 degrees outside the last thing you want to do is stand and use a hot implement for hours on end. Not so bad in the winter I wil admit.

Add that to the fact that during my basic training my Sgt impressed on us the importance of "creases girls, creases! I want to see them stand out!" so much it means that even now (28 years later) I find myself ironing creases in my t-shirts, shirts, tops etc. Though thankfully I no longer have the urge to put darts up the backs of shirts or iron jumpers ;)

Ha ha i would refuse to wear anything that didn't have a crease in it,mind you i've now stopped measuring them:D