Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Wikiposts

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Yeah... i'm in fantasy land...apparently

I'm not saying all summers here are like this, but i couldnt have wished for a better first summer on our return. The weather has been perfect for me. Few days hot sun, followed by the odd shower and a couple of windy days here and there. The temperatures have been great for me too! Nothing so hot i cant do the stuff i want to do.
Something else i noticed since coming back that i never really noticed before. The beautful formations of the big white clouds on a sunny day. Real marshmallow and cotton wool puff balls
Have you also noticed that on a sunny summers day in UK, you can actually comfortably sit out.....in the sun. You don't feel as though you are going to sizzle and burn the way you do in OZ.
The sun is definately not as harsh here in Britain (although you do still need to be sensible about it).
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying all summers here are like this, but i couldnt have wished for a better first summer on our return. The weather has been perfect for me. Few days hot sun, followed by the odd shower and a couple of windy days here and there. The temperatures have been great for me too! Nothing so hot i cant do the stuff i want to do.
Something else i noticed since coming back that i never really noticed before. The beautful formations of the big white clouds on a sunny day. Real marshmallow and cotton wool puff balls
Funny you should mention the clouds?I noticed the most gorgeous clouds yesterday.Real white thick fluffy clouds set against brilliant blue sky,wow what a sight!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:24 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Have you also noticed that on a sunny summers day in UK, you can actually comfortably sit out.....in the sun. You don't feel as though you are going to sizzle and burn the way you do in OZ.
The sun is definately not as harsh here in Britain (although you do still need to be sensible about it).
Thats what i love about it MG. Although i have to say there were a couple of times this summer it did sizzle too hot in the garden. I had to move and sit under the apple tree. But nothing on the scale of Aus. God it got on my nerves!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Was really looking forward to a day out with the kids today. Had taken the day off work and planned several places to visit. Opens curtains and...... yes it's p**ng it down. Watched Mrs Doughtfire (God had forgotten how much bad language was in it. It was PG but I didn't think that would stretch to references about vibrators and use of words like ba**terd and shit. Shame on your Robin Williams!). Then went to a Whacky Warehouse for dinner! Happy Birthday to me! PS, we had a nice time anyway though.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to my Mum last night and without prompting, said they'd had really poor summer weather (she's in the South West).

Still, at least many of the Aussie bashers have had super summers - they're obviously in the right place
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Absolutely and I think us brits forget that. The UK has more deaths from skin cancer than Australia, now before any MBttUK crew jump on that statement I know Australia has more cases of skin cancer but on the whole the country are more geared up for the slip slop slap.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
I spoke to my Mum last night and without prompting, said they'd had really poor summer weather (she's in the South West).

Still, at least many of the Aussie bashers have had super summers - they're obviously in the right place
Correct, those few glorious summer days when it didn't rain will be a distant memory soon as they face 9 months of cold, dark, rainy days.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 12:01 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder the Aussies call us whinging POMs.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:07 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant wait for the summer here, I have found this winter to be long and drawn out.

You just have to adapt to the environment you are living in - if its too cold, then wrap up warm and do what you have to do in order to make yourself comfortable. If its too hot, just do what it takes to cool down and be comfy.

Its only weather, we cant change it - we just have to live with it and take the rough with the smooth - wherever you live.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:17 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I'm starting to warm to the idea of going to Brisbane rather than Perth - better weather, better jobs and less flies.

Just don't wanna get stung by a box jellyfish in Brissie though!
They(jellyfish)dont walk the streets ya know
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My brother said that about Melbourne when he got here one April. He couldn't believe the clear skies and detail in the couds.

I struggle to remember summer in the UK - I've spent 2 summers there this last 11 years. I remember it being pleasant so I can't honestly knock it. The thing where hundreds of people sit in a London park. A lot of haze at times. You can see that on the telly from the televised cricket.

If you want to see some good summer scenes from the UK - watch Grand Designs. There was one episode though where to capture the sun they had filmed it early in the morning or evening, when the sun was below the cloud base, and had literally smeared the lens with jelly for the long shots. You had to squint to see it. All the medium shots were grey, wet and overcast!

Originally Posted by Hutch
The reason the British are so obsessed with the weather is that it's so changeable in the U.K. For such a tiny speck of a lump of sputum in the North Sea it has more weather patterns than most continents. Micro-climates govern the weather and places 50 miles apart can experience very different weather. In the U.K. they have to cover the weather map with various digital symbology to cram it all in, here you can often summarise the weather for the entire east coast in one sentence - and that suits me just fine.
Originally Posted by gruffbrown
It's unlike you not to be self-opinionated Hutch, what's up fella?
What Hutch says is true - the UK is a classic place for weather. Until you go and live on the continent of Europe not one hour's flight from London you don't realise how different it can be.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I see more interesting atmospheric and sky events here than I did in the UK. White fluffy clouds against blue backgrounds are a regular occurrence here. Especially love it when they're under-lit by the sinking sun. The ring of Venus is another regular occurrence here. Don't ever remember seeing that in the UK. I've seen more daytime moons and more conjunctions between the planets and the moon. The smilie face being the most impressive. At night the planets are visible more often and I've seen more shooting stars here than in the UK despite the difference in residence.

Rainbows are the only event that I can say were more impressive in the UK.

As for good summers. Yep, they have them in the UK. Unfortunately, some people (like me) start to wonder is it worth it when you can remember which years they happened.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow

hhmmm I live in the south west and our summer has been very good?I don't understand how it can be so different for people?I've had to wear sunblock most of the time?Very strange!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Correct, those few glorious summer days when it didn't rain will be a distant memory soon as they face 9 months of cold, dark, rainy days.
Well I've lived in the UK for 10 years now,and I can count on one hand the days I have had to spend indoors because of rain.OH and I are avid walkers and I have to say we spend an awful lot of time walking,including winter.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Well I've lived in the UK for 10 years now,and I can count on one hand the days I have had to spend indoors because of rain.OH and I are avid walkers and I have to say we spend an awful lot of time walking,including winter.
Having lived twenty one years in London and earlier in the South i do not recall many days stranded indoors by rain either.
Also love long walks in most weathers..but sadly don't get to do a lot here in Perth..but still do far more than most.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.