Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Wikiposts

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:37 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

The reason the British are so obsessed with the weather is that it's so changeable in the U.K. For such a tiny speck of a lump of sputum in the North Sea it has more weather patterns than most continents. Micro-climates govern the weather and places 50 miles apart can experience very different weather. In the U.K. they have to cover the weather map with various digital symbology to cram it all in, here you can often summarise the weather for the entire east coast in one sentence - and that suits me just fine.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Hey maybe it's dependent on what you like and where you live? Go figure! Family and friends who live in Herts have had a rubbish summer and have had the heating on on various occasions. Family who live in Dorset have had a not bad summer but as usual up and down. I don't like the Hertfordshire climate and had no wish to live in another part of the UK. I love the GC climate and have no wish to live in another part of Australia.
I'm starting to warm to the idea of going to Brisbane rather than Perth - better weather, better jobs and less flies.

Just don't wanna get stung by a box jellyfish in Brissie though!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
That's an opinion. I have found the summer this year to be fab. After 3 summers in stinking heat in OZ, this has been a breath of fresh air.
Yep it is. I did however grow up in southern africa which has the same latitudes and weather patterns to OZ. To me that hot weather is "normal" and I miss it. So does my family.

The cold weather in the UK just lasts far tooooooo long. If it was 3-4 months it wouldn't be so bad.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I'm starting to warm to the idea of going to Brisbane rather than Perth - better weather, better jobs and less flies.

I'd say you'd be unbelievably unlucky for such a thing to happen
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Brissie is not in Far North Qld
Old Aug 26th 2009, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fish.01
Brissie is not in Far North Qld
Don't they come down that far? That's a relief. I thought they could.

EDIT: I see they will be at least 1300kms north of Brisbane.

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 26th 2009 at 12:32 am.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I only spent 4 days in the 'pool the rest were in Hertfordshire, Sussex and Norwich. Shite weather all around for the whole of July. Anyone who pretends that it was otherwise is living in a fantasy world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/uk_...00/8195950.stm

"July 2009 provisionally being the wettest July on record for England and Wales."

"From the 5th onwards, the weather was generally very unsettled with often thundery showers and longer periods of rain. These were also often accompanied by localised flooding."

"On the 7th some of the worst downpours affected south-east England, with around 90mm of rainfall reported from the Hastings area in Sussex. A number of Tube stations in London were flooded during the evening and a Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace had to be abandoned.

16th and 17th, rainfall was widespread. Wales and south-west England were most affected on 16th with roads in Cornwall closed due to flooding and a landslip on the A38 near Bodmin.

94mm of rainfall was recorded on 16th at nearby Cardinham. By 17th, the focus of the persistent heavy rain had moved to north-east England and the Scottish Borders. Rainfall totals approached 100mm in places, with 116mm at Alston, Cumbria in the 48 hours from 16th to 17th.
The greatest impact was seen seen over north-east England with a number of properties flooded, disruption to road and rail transport and interruptions to power supplies.

July continued with a very unsettled theme, with many examples of travel delays and disruption to outdoor events.

A small tornado was reported to have damaged a number of homes and cars in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis on 28th. Over 100 children were evacuated from a lakeside campsite at Keswick due to flooding on the same evening.

Heavy rain also caused the cancellation of the Brecon Agricultural Show in mid-Wales as well as delaying the start of the third Ashes Test at Edgbaston, Birmingham on 30th"
No!I'm not living in some fantasy world,hence my user name!Nope none of that above weather hit where I live.I must be incredibly lucky I guess!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Yep it is. I did however grow up in southern africa which has the same latitudes and weather patterns to OZ. To me that hot weather is "normal" and I miss it. So does my family.

The cold weather in the UK just lasts far tooooooo long. If it was 3-4 months it wouldn't be so bad.
If you don't like cold weather,maybe you moved to the wrong country!Get yourselves to Oz,plenty of scorchio there mate!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Watched Wimbledon on the tv from here in Oz and the whole 2 weeks looked lovely so you must have had some summe
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
The reason the British are so obsessed with the weather is that it's so changeable in the U.K. For such a tiny speck of a lump of sputum in the North Sea it has more weather patterns than most continents. Micro-climates govern the weather and places 50 miles apart can experience very different weather. In the U.K. they have to cover the weather map with various digital symbology to cram it all in, here you can often summarise the weather for the entire east coast in one sentence - and that suits me just fine.
hhmmmm don't know whats worse really!Sputum or living in the arse end of the world?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Watched Wimbledon on the tv from here in Oz and the whole 2 weeks looked lovely so you must have had some summe
It was played in a studio this year to give that impression.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:35 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
hhmmmm don't know whats worse really!Sputum or living in the arse end of the world?

Just spent another horrible summers day on the beach with 2yr old grandaughter making sandcastles... yes, sun WAS shining again.

Some people must walk around with rain clouds permanently stapled above their heads

I have to say though, that when we do have the showers and cooler days, I like it!! It breaks up the monotony and keeps this fair land green and lush, sadly, its all a bit brown at the holiday park though, due to too much sun!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

Just spent another horrible summers day on the beach with 2yr old grandaughter making sandcastles... yes, sun WAS shining again.

Some people must walk around with rain clouds permanently stapled above their heads

I have to say though, that when we do have the showers and cooler days, I like it!! It breaks up the monotony and keeps this fair land green and lush, sadly, its all a bit brown at the holiday park though, due to too much sun!
nah Flea!That can't possibly be true can it?Too much sun?Never!We have a south facing garden and it gets seriously warm sat out there some days!I think we've had a really good summer.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:03 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
nah Flea!That can't possibly be true can it?Too much sun?Never!We have a south facing garden and it gets seriously warm sat out there some days!I think we've had a really good summer.
Yeah... i'm in fantasy land...apparently

I'm not saying all summers here are like this, but i couldnt have wished for a better first summer on our return. The weather has been perfect for me. Few days hot sun, followed by the odd shower and a couple of windy days here and there. The temperatures have been great for me too! Nothing so hot i cant do the stuff i want to do.
Something else i noticed since coming back that i never really noticed before. The beautful formations of the big white clouds on a sunny day. Real marshmallow and cotton wool puff balls
Old Aug 26th 2009, 4:38 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's unlike you not to be self-opinionated Hutch, what's up fella?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.