Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Wikiposts

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:16 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I saw Sky weather the other day and they were saying that there was a real NW/SE split this year with the NW being very wet and cool and the SE being the opposite.
Yes, my niece has just come back early from a holiday camping in the Yorkshire dales as the weather was dreadful. When we told her that London reached 29 degrees at the weekend she was gutted LOL
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Yep, me too, give me humid warm weather any day - better for your skin too.
Far better for the skin than the drier heat. Seem to feel healther in the tropics as well. Guess i probably should move back to either Cairns or Darwin.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:19 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I wouldn't say you are lying! It's more subtle than that..if we're going to be literal - and I'd rather not - 3 excursions and what happens at Wimbledon is not the whole summer! Of course - sure it varies - although Wimbledon is famous for the rain. I also remember it getting muggy in cars in London in the summer on days that were not that hot.

I still stand by the meter that the UK summer is generally very pleasant so I guess we may agree on that...
Badge... we have had a lovely summer And the best part about it is theres hardly a day where its so hot you cant go out and do things.

Dont get muggy in cars these days, we have aircon
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:26 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Badge... we have had a lovely summer And the best part about it is theres hardly a day where its so hot you cant go out and do things.

Dont get muggy in cars these days, we have aircon
Flea are you lot still living in the car,get a unit fer godsake
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:27 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Flea are you lot still living in the car,get a unit fer godsake
PMSL

errr no! But theres been a couple of nights i should have slept in it for the aircon
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Been three in a row now. Not much rain lately and temps fairly mild, But... starting to feel the autumn chill setting in already!
Where do you live?Our summer has been pretty fantastic!You're hardly going to hit the 30's everyday,it is Britain afterall.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I was there for the whole of July and it rained every day. Went up to Liverpool and it was not only pissing down but freezing too. If you think the UK had a good summer you are dreaming.
Well thats what you get for spending a month in Liverpool!It was fab where I live!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:15 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Well thats what you get for spending a month in Liverpool!It was fab where I live!
I only spent 4 days in the 'pool the rest were in Hertfordshire, Sussex and Norwich. Shite weather all around for the whole of July. Anyone who pretends that it was otherwise is living in a fantasy world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/uk_...00/8195950.stm

"July 2009 provisionally being the wettest July on record for England and Wales."

"From the 5th onwards, the weather was generally very unsettled with often thundery showers and longer periods of rain. These were also often accompanied by localised flooding."

"On the 7th some of the worst downpours affected south-east England, with around 90mm of rainfall reported from the Hastings area in Sussex. A number of Tube stations in London were flooded during the evening and a Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace had to be abandoned.

16th and 17th, rainfall was widespread. Wales and south-west England were most affected on 16th with roads in Cornwall closed due to flooding and a landslip on the A38 near Bodmin.

94mm of rainfall was recorded on 16th at nearby Cardinham. By 17th, the focus of the persistent heavy rain had moved to north-east England and the Scottish Borders. Rainfall totals approached 100mm in places, with 116mm at Alston, Cumbria in the 48 hours from 16th to 17th.
The greatest impact was seen seen over north-east England with a number of properties flooded, disruption to road and rail transport and interruptions to power supplies.

July continued with a very unsettled theme, with many examples of travel delays and disruption to outdoor events.

A small tornado was reported to have damaged a number of homes and cars in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis on 28th. Over 100 children were evacuated from a lakeside campsite at Keswick due to flooding on the same evening.

Heavy rain also caused the cancellation of the Brecon Agricultural Show in mid-Wales as well as delaying the start of the third Ashes Test at Edgbaston, Birmingham on 30th"

Last edited by renth; Aug 25th 2009 at 5:20 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

I have to agree - a week of warm weather in June and the odd few good days scattered around does not make a fantastic summer. I think it's been passable - the first week of school hols was dire.

As for this morning - it was pitch black at our normal wake up time - definite murmurings of "it's drawing in now " !!!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Where do you live?Our summer has been pretty fantastic!You're hardly going to hit the 30's everyday,it is Britain afterall.
We live in Surrey. Like I said it's been mild and not much rain, we can get out and do stuff, but it hasn't really been as good as some previous summers where you get those 2+ weeks of really hot weather. That for me is disappointing.

September is usually not that bad, but by mid October depression starts to set in.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I only spent 4 days in the 'pool the rest were in Hertfordshire, Sussex and Norwich. Shite weather all around for the whole of July. Anyone who pretends that it was otherwise is living in a fantasy world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/uk_...00/8195950.stm

"July 2009 provisionally being the wettest July on record for England and Wales."

"From the 5th onwards, the weather was generally very unsettled with often thundery showers and longer periods of rain. These were also often accompanied by localised flooding."

"On the 7th some of the worst downpours affected south-east England, with around 90mm of rainfall reported from the Hastings area in Sussex. A number of Tube stations in London were flooded during the evening and a Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace had to be abandoned.

16th and 17th, rainfall was widespread. Wales and south-west England were most affected on 16th with roads in Cornwall closed due to flooding and a landslip on the A38 near Bodmin.

94mm of rainfall was recorded on 16th at nearby Cardinham. By 17th, the focus of the persistent heavy rain had moved to north-east England and the Scottish Borders. Rainfall totals approached 100mm in places, with 116mm at Alston, Cumbria in the 48 hours from 16th to 17th.
The greatest impact was seen seen over north-east England with a number of properties flooded, disruption to road and rail transport and interruptions to power supplies.

July continued with a very unsettled theme, with many examples of travel delays and disruption to outdoor events.

A small tornado was reported to have damaged a number of homes and cars in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis on 28th. Over 100 children were evacuated from a lakeside campsite at Keswick due to flooding on the same evening.

Heavy rain also caused the cancellation of the Brecon Agricultural Show in mid-Wales as well as delaying the start of the third Ashes Test at Edgbaston, Birmingham on 30th"
I remember that day/night. Boy was it tipping it down. We had 25mm in a matter of minutes according to my realtime rain gauge which was ticking over like a petrol pump!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Del-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really nice

We were in desperate need of some sun so decided the best chance of getting it in the yUK was to head to Newquay for a fortnight, how wrong could we be it rained (and it wasn't just a shower it was lashing down) blowing a gale and cold for nearly the whole 2 weeks, it was miserable and the fact we were staying in a tent with 2 young children didn't help. Since being home it has rained almost everyday again heavy heavy rain. I am so fed up and depressed with the weather .

Someone please buy our house so we can GET OUTTA HERE.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:48 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Well a number of people have always commented on the split in different parts of the country.
Had my heating on this morning....
We are at the edge of the pennines and its been dire. I have been off for the 6 week holidays from school and thought it would be a nice last summer in the UK.... but will arrive in September for the start of Melbournes *better* weather!
J x
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey maybe it's dependent on what you like and where you live? Go figure! Family and friends who live in Herts have had a rubbish summer and have had the heating on on various occasions. Family who live in Dorset have had a not bad summer but as usual up and down. I don't like the Hertfordshire climate and had no wish to live in another part of the UK. I love the GC climate and have no wish to live in another part of Australia.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Been three in a row now. Not much rain lately and temps fairly mild, But... starting to feel the autumn chill setting in already!
That's an opinion. I have found the summer this year to be fab. After 3 summers in stinking heat in OZ, this has been a breath of fresh air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.