Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Wikiposts

Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: Yet another disappointing "summer" in the UK comes to a close...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why the hell do you live there if you can't handle the weather?
And in Brisbane as it's tropical in summer so it doesn't even get that hot, rarely over 35, the humidity kicks in though, take some of the Syd/Perth/Adelaide/Melb summers of 45°+, now that's hot!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
And in Brisbane as it's tropical in summer so it doesn't even get that hot, rarely over 35, the humidity kicks in though, take some of the Syd/Perth/Adelaide/Melb summers of 45°+, now that's hot!

Jimbo you are wrong. I have lived in Sydney and Perth and can assure you that Brisbane has the most uncomfortable heat and feels the hottest (despite what temperatures may say) because of the high humidity. Perth climate is dry rather than humid and that makes things much easier to bear.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Jimbo you are wrong. I have lived in Sydney and Perth and can assure you that Brisbane has the most uncomfortable heat and feels the hottest (despite what temperatures may say) because of the high humidity. Perth climate is dry rather than humid and that makes things much easier to bear.
Agree. I love Perth's summer climate, apart from the odd humid or stinking hot day.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't know how lucky you are; at least you can go outside all summer. Here in Brisbane summertime is like being in a prison. You have to be inside between 0900 and 1700 because of the heat and humidity and then when it gets every so slightly cooler the sun goes down - and it's dark!
That's funny. The sun shines for 9 months during autumn, winter and spring (far longer than a British summer) and because it is too hot for you in summer you say they don't know how lucky they are - I think you could reverse that saying.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. I love Perth's summer climate, apart from the odd humid or stinking hot day.
Agree. I like Perth's summer climate...but it would have to come packaged with Brisbane's autumn, winter and spring to be worth it!!!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I was there for the whole of July and it rained every day. Went up to Liverpool and it was not only pissing down but freezing too. If you think the UK had a good summer you are dreaming.

I havent been over there for 20 months, but any man who wants to take on my mother and tell her she is wrong is quite welcome
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I love that high-humidity heat. It's my ideal climate.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:40 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Me too, I love humidity.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, me too, give me humid warm weather any day - better for your skin too.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I havent been over there for 20 months, but any man who wants to take on my mother and tell her she is wrong is quite welcome
I will. I'll take my anti-venom first.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Not down south. Its been a good summer! Was so hot at the weekend i had the fan on.
What about other days

Originally Posted by jad n rich
My family are in 3 different parts of teh UK and all say its been a great summer too. Will have to tell them they must be wrong.

Meanwhile I am recovering from the 2 day winter snap of 35C. Looking forward to summer then
Originally Posted by NickyC
And I was there from mid July to mid-August and I had one day where it didn't rain once. This was almost entirely in Hampshire, in the south.

There was even a headline news item one day on how bad the weather was - the Met Office were in trouble because they'd forecast a 'barbecue' summer earlier in the year - which apparantly caused heaps of people to take their summer holidays in Britain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ju...t-rain-holiday
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6731609.ece

Some breakfast TV program then did a special from some beach in Glamorgan which was windswept, soaking, grey and ghastly. You had to feel truly sorry for the poor damp kids being filmed whose parents had believed the weather forecast.
I can't help but believe the people who say the weather had been poor..(with caveats)...but seriously - UK summer weather for me is loads of mild, actually quite pleasant weather - but it wouldn't be hot, or rather summery, by anyone's standards - even for a Brit local! for whom 26C+ is a heatwave.

Like I've said before, July and August is never the best part of the UK summer. Late spring and early summer probably the best.

I agree - I like Melbourne's summers due to the dry heat.
You're weird. [Said in style of Monthy Python].

A mate of mine, liked you, lived in SE Asia and was also a high-humidity fan so moved to Brisbane. A lover of humidity, that is, not something you get on the ceiling...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:03 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

What about other days

I can't help but believe the people who say the weather had been poor..(with caveats)...but seriously - UK summer weather for me is loads of mild, actually quite pleasant weather - but it wouldn't be hot, or rather summery, by anyone's standards - even for a Brit local! for whom 26C+ is a heatwave.

Like I've said before, July and August is never the best part of the UK summer. Late spring and early summer probably the best.

A mate of mine, liked you, lived in SE Asia and was also a high-humidity fan so moved to Brisbane. A lover of humidity, that is, not something you get on the ceiling...

Ahh well, i guess we are all lying then

I have had the grankids over for days in the outdoor pool probably half a dozen times over the school holidays. Taken them out 3 times for various excursions. Again, sunny weather each time. These being Thorpe Park, Central London and Colchester Zoo.

Go check the weather for Wimbledon this year.

I have not used any form of heating since the end of May

Looks like i chose a good part of UK for my weather doesnt it?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

What about other days

It's like living in a warm bath.
Perth's climate is pretty good also though. (But bad for my asthma whereas high humidity seems to help it)
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have had the grankids over for days in the outdoor pool probably half a dozen times over the school holidays. Taken them out 3 times for various excursions. Again, sunny weather each time. These being Thorpe Park, Central London and Colchester Zoo.

I saw Sky weather the other day and they were saying that there was a real NW/SE split this year with the NW being very wet and cool and the SE being the opposite.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say you are lying! It's more subtle than that..if we're going to be literal - and I'd rather not - 3 excursions and what happens at Wimbledon is not the whole summer! Of course - sure it varies - although Wimbledon is famous for the rain. I also remember it getting muggy in cars in London in the summer on days that were not that hot.

I still stand by the meter that the UK summer is generally very pleasant so I guess we may agree on that...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I saw Sky weather the other day and they were saying that there was a real NW/SE split this year with the NW being very wet and cool and the SE being the opposite.
Well a number of people have always commented on the split in different parts of the country.

The weather is a funny thing - people have interesting/personal recollections that are at odds with others.

I remember particular Melbourne springs being cold/a washout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.