Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Would you tell your estate agent you was going to OZ?

Would you tell your estate agent you was going to OZ?

Old Dec 8th 2007, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold
Default Would you tell your estate agent you was going to OZ?

House went on the market this week (crappy time I know) and we have told the estate agent we are going to Oz and I'm wondering if this was a good idea?

Will the buyers think they can get away with a cheeky offer?

Anyone else had this?

Was going to tell agents not to say anything but you know what they are like. But would like feed back from others is telling them a good idea or bad idea?

Thanks

Tina x
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you tell your estate agent you was going to OZ?

We told ours... didnt seem to change anything, infact it seemed to perk up potential buyers when we were showing them around that we were end of chain.. 1st time buyers loved it!

Your estate agent is working for you and should be aiming to get you the best possible price from a buyer... afterall, most work on a % commission so it is in their best interest to do so!

If it was worrying me then def tell your Estate Agent that you don't want people to know that you are emigrating, but the selling point of being no onward chain is quite an appealing sales point IMHO..

Em x

Last edited by emelems; Dec 8th 2007 at 3:07 pm. Reason: bad grammar! Lol!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:27 pm
is hoping for the best

Location: dont know when now, but birmingham to perth soon :-(
english-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant future

we are in the same position as you, our house went on the market 2/3 weeks ago, we told our estate agent that we are goin to oz, but not to tell people, just tell them that theres no chain, they dont need to know why theres no chain.

they could use it to their [potential buyers]advantage be careful who finds out.

some one i know agreed a sale, the buyers found out that they were going abroad and they threatened to pull out unless they dropped the price.
the sellers said no way, forget it, if you are goin to be like that then we dont want to do business with you, so they said sorry and the sale went through.

just dont advertise it!!

rosie
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

The way the market is at the moment buyers will try to knock you down no matter what, it will be one excuse or another.

We did tell people we were emegrating, as most of the time people want to know why you are moving. Moving to Australia is far less worrying to buyers than 'can't stand the area/neighbours etc'.

We told everyone that we were moving to Oz, but were not in a rush, so would leave just when we had a sale leaving us with enough money to set ourselves up.
We had one couple put an offer in £15k less than the asking price. We eventually told them we would accept £13k less than asking price, but that was the absolute minimum we needed to go to Australia and if they tried to drop the price any more, even at the last second we would be putting the house back on the market or renting it out. They removed the offer the next day as they could not afford the house. Saved us a lot of mucking around by making things crystal clear from the start.

Lots of people on here seem to think it gives buyers a reason to drop the price, but everyone I know who has sold a house in the UK has had the buyer try it on and none of them were going to Oz. That is just the way it is. The main way to make sure people don't try it on is to look as least desperate for a sale as possible. Very difficult the way the market is.

Good luck
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:52 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

We told our agent but instructed them under no circumstances to tell potential buyers.

7 viewings in week one and accepted an offer £4k over the asking. Went through in 6 weeks.

Happy days!

By the look of things we got out just in time. Good luck to all who are currently selling, you'll get there eventually!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 3:56 pm
is hoping for the best

Location: dont know when now, but birmingham to perth soon :-(
english-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant future

you are so so lucky!!

we are in sutton coldfield, how long ago did u sell?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replys, Think I'll tell the agent not to say anything just say no on going chain as I've asked to have that put on the details.

as for buyers your right I'll tell them on a need to know basis but make it clear we are in no rush unless they are.

Thanks for all the advice I know I could count on BE help.

Tina x

Oh yes do you know anyone who wants to buy a house in Essex ha ha x
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:31 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by english-rose
you are so so lucky!!

we are in sutton coldfield, how long ago did u sell?
Sold towards the end of August, we we're in a first time buyers area and had no chain so we were in a good position (and also damn lucky to get 2 people fighting to get it).

Good luck with your sale!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 7:39 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We just said we were moving South.

Buzzy
Old Dec 8th 2007, 7:43 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

we told ours and on the plus side buyers will know you're not in a chain.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

kaz101 will become famous soon enoughkaz101 will become famous soon enough

We didn't tell our estate agents we were going to Oz since we wanted as much as we could get and we didn't want the potential buyers thinking we were desperate and putting in silly offers.

We've also dealt with a lot of estate agents (we're property investors among other things) and we know how much they tell the potential buyers. We've even been told in the past what a seller would settle for! That worked in our favour as a buyer but not for the seller.

We told the agents that we were moving into another property near my parents (true we were moving into their spare bedroom ) so we would be end of chain. Also we were in no particular rush since we wanted a good price.

Tina I think that you are right to say to the estate agents not to tell the potential buyers. I wouldn't tell them until after you've exchanged since before that people can change their minds and the price!

Good luck with the house sale.

Karen
Old Dec 8th 2007, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steveandtina
House went on the market this week (crappy time I know) and we have told the estate agent we are going to Oz and I'm wondering if this was a good idea?

Anyone else had this?

Was going to tell agents not to say anything but you know what they are like. But would like feed back from others is telling them a good idea or bad idea?

Thanks

Tina x
Have had valuations on our property and were quite happy until...............

Employed a financial advisor, they had one client tell EAs that they were off to a better life in Oz Put house on market and sold with in 2/52 of placing property on market

4/52 b4 moving buyer pulls out and sellers desperate to sell drop price and hey presto with in 1/52 buyer steps in £25,000 below asking price. Apparently turns out the buyer was an aassociateof the EA!!!!!!!!!!:curse:

Now this is hear say and un proven but if I can post it and never have contemplated a criminal act in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Take care sharks can roam land as well as water!

Best of luck, our house is sold just want the job offer! (Private sale).
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by steveandtina

Anyone else had this?

Thanks

Tina x
We told our estate agents and it didn't seem to matter. We were in a good position as we were not buying so no chain for us.
When we got an offer it was only 5 grand under asking price. They knew we were going to OZ too. We refused the offer saying we weren't in a hurry and would rather wait for the right offer. Next day they offered what we wanted.

If they want it, they will buy..I think you going to OZ will help.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

We haven't told our estate agents about Aus.

We were advised not to because of the viewers finding out (I'm sure the estate agent might say something somewhere along the line) and then taking the **** because they think you are desperate.

Now obviously things aren't too hot around here market wise, but honestly I don't think it would make any difference. Our viewer yesterday (while we were hiding ) was making some VERY encouraging noises but a bit of earwigging on my part led me to believe that as a 1st time buyer he had little faith in the market and was reluctant to buy now.

Anyhoooo, besides in our area, news gets around quicky and Sparky Hub hasn't told his boss yet about Aus. What business is it of any T D or H what our plans are? They know there is no chain with us but why the hell should some nosey viewer coming to have a good old snoop end up knowing about things?
Old Dec 9th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Well before we decided to go to Oz we decided to move out of our house as we were having huge problems with our neighbours. We went to see a few houses, thinking ours would be quick to sell, and the most important question I asked was 'why are you moving?'.
The people we bought from lied to us, told us they were moving to a bigger house as mother was moving in with them. We realised this was not the truth before we moved in but as first time buyers did not have the sence to pull out there and then. If I had my time again and realised someone had lied about why they were moving I would pull out without thinking twice. I never want to be in that situation again!!