Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Jun 9th 2018, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

BTW between 25pct to 33pct of people any any given day aren't home, Which equates to almost as much doorstep waiting as delivering. In other words 50pct of your labour costs are dead waiting for doors to be answered.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 1:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Correct gary, however that is years away yet...... It's rolling out much much slower than you think. Meanwhile we have a crisis in delivery. That's fair dinkum as well.
Google are already running vehicles around, fully autonomous. Ford are also already testing services, rolling out their first autonomous vehicle in 2019/2020, with a service AT SCALE in 2021.

And one of their key target markets are delivery vehicles, or rather a vehicle that can do both robotaxi and delivery.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/f...ng-cars-miami/

So, we are talking about a rollout at scale, in 3 years time.

Plus the progress on drones hasn't stopped, and they are at the regulatory approval stage :

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...484789181.html

and Amazon aren't the only ones. Apple, Intel, Microsoft and Uber have been given pilot programme approvals:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...testing-amazon

Upshot is it's coming at roughly the pace promised, and that within 5 years it will be a thing. If you are retiring inside that timescale, fine, but otherwise ...
Old Jun 9th 2018, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Google are already running vehicles around, fully autonomous. Ford are also already testing services, rolling out their first autonomous vehicle in 2019/2020, with a service AT SCALE in 2021.

And one of their key target markets are delivery vehicles, or rather a vehicle that can do both robotaxi and delivery.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/f...ng-cars-miami/

So, we are talking about a rollout at scale, in 3 years time.

Plus the progress on drones hasn't stopped, and they are at the regulatory approval stage :

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...484789181.html

and Amazon aren't the only ones. Apple, Intel, Microsoft and Uber have been given pilot programme approvals:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...testing-amazon

Upshot is it's coming at roughly the pace promised, and that within 5 years it will be a thing. If you are retiring inside that timescale, fine, but otherwise ...
There are two parts to delivery, one is actual delivery, which I agree is easily automated, and one is reception, it's the reception where the major issue is......People need automated receiving systems, these are being rolled out at consumer expense but there is a very slow uptake. There is a massive missing link from a delivery time at the door perspective.

This kind of thing. Quite a few different types coming onto the market, but they all have different software interfaces.

receva

It seems I cant get this issue through to people......

It's the one thing that is blocking all of this automation.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 2:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

and one is reception, it's the reception where the major issue is......People need automated receiving systems,
I think the thing that you are missing is there is no need, if you deliver WHEN THEY ARE HOME.

Thanks to apps, etc. you can know when they are home, and you can attempt delivery then, in the evening if necessary.

People aren't going to pay hundreds (FFS the link you gave is $840) to fit in with what old postal services are comfortable with - they are going to expect it to be the other way around. Particularly for the airborne solutions, that's where the money is, delivery to your hands, JIT.

Here's a fictional view of where they are headed, from a short story by Vernor Vinge

Juan hesitated. That's strange.

What?

I've got mail. He set a pointer in the sky for the others to see: a ballistic FedEx package with a Cambridge return address. It was coming straight down, and from very high up. At about a thousand feet, the mailer slowed dramatically, and a sexy voice spoke in Juan's ear. Do you accept delivery, Mr. Orozco?

Yes, yes. He indicated a spot on the ground nearby.

All this time, William had been staring into the sky. Now he gave a little start and Juan guessed the guy had finally seen Juan's pointer. A second after that, the package was visible to the naked eye: a dark speck showing an occasional bluish flare, falling silently toward them.It slowed again at ten feet, and they had a glimpse of the cause of the light: dozens of tiny landing jets around the edge of the package. Animal rights campaigners claimed the micro-turbines were painfully loud to some kinds of bats, but to humans and even dogs and cats, the whole operation was silent…. until the very last moment: Just a foot off the ground, there was a burst of wind and a scattering of pine needles. Sign here, Mr. Orozco, said the voice.

Juan did so and started toward the mailer. William was already there, kneeling awkwardly. The Goofus spazzed at just the wrong instant and lurched forward, putting his knee through the mailer carton. Miri rushed over to him. William! Are you okay?

William rolled back on his rear and sat there, massaging his knee. Yes, I'm fine, Miriam. Damn. He glanced at Juan. I'm really sorry, kid. For once, he didn't sound sarcastic.

Juan kept his mouth shut. He squatted down by the box: it was a standard twenty-ounce mailer, now with a big bend in the middle. The lid was jammed, but the material was scarcely stronger than cardboard, and he had no trouble prying it open. Inside … he pulled out a clear bag, held it up for the others to see.
Fast Times at Fairmont High
Old Jun 9th 2018, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think the thing that you are missing is there is no need, if you deliver WHEN THEY ARE HOME.

Thanks to apps, etc. you can know when they are home, and you can attempt delivery then, in the evening if necessary.

People aren't going to pay hundreds (FFS the link you gave is $840) to fit in with what old postal services are comfortable with - they are going to expect it to be the other way around. Particularly for the airborne solutions, that's where the money is, delivery to your hands, JIT.

Here's a fictional view of where they are headed, from a short story by Vernor Vinge

Fast Times at Fairmont High
I agree with the delivering when you know people are at home....... Try getting people to comply with that. Your best bet in the interim is face to face interaction and getting to know your local neighbourhood and their needs and concentrating on solutions for those hard to get people, which take up all the time.. Your dealing with ideas and innovation, I'm dealing with the reality of the situation.

I do appreciate you can do this with apps..... But for every 5 people you get to take up this app, there will be one person that takes as long to deliver to as the other 5 combined. That is the point everyone is missing. The thing is currently that time is blowing out not reducing. Hence the need for a face to face solution in the interim.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Also worth noting that if you are doing autonomous vehicle deliveries, you can make them in the evening when people are actually around. Indeed, you can have a app on the phone, accessing the location, so you KNOW they are home before you turn up, coupled with alerts such that they are waiting at the door for when it appears.

Postal services will really need to up their game.
If you use people you can make deliveries in the evening. See Coles.

Ozzie why don't Oz Post deliver in the evenings when traffic is less and people are in?
Old Jun 9th 2018, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Your example of Beoz Plc illustrates my point nicely.

Elsewhere, plenty of routine office jobs in accounting, finance, insurance, law, most administration, actually. Anything which involves reading a document and processing it in line with company guidelines or legal frameworks. I mean, there are still people who do data entry FFS. The point is the vast majority of jobs that can be automated have not yet been automated, but that doesn't mean they won't be in the future.
I think you will find many of these roles have already been decimated.

No effect on mass unemployment.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
If you use people you can make deliveries in the evening. See Coles.

Ozzie why don't Oz Post deliver in the evenings when traffic is less and people are in?
Some of the private contract drivers have been doing that. Aus Post will possibly start doing this, I'd say they will go 6 day delivery first, which I'm expecting to start sometime in this coming financial year. It's on the cards for sure.

It also needs to be noted, that there are a fair proportion of people out there, say around 5pct that wont open the door to what they perceive to be strangers..... Sounds odd I know but it really happens. A significant enough proportion to have some effect compounded by the 3 x knock and call out imposed by Aus Post on their delivery staff last year. Every postie is now reporting back with at least 2 hours of dead time door waiting a day. They are also working in excess of on average 10 hour days in our region.. 3.5 inside 6.5 outside......even the part timers!
Old Jun 9th 2018, 5:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

I agree with the delivering when you know people are at home....... Try getting people to comply with that.
Still don't think you are getting it.

You can have the app alert the person "trying to deliver this evening, will you be in?" If they say yes you load it onto the van, and then the route is determined by times that people say they will be available, etc. - a dynamically formed route.

As the van gets closer to the house the app checks that the person is still at home, and if so it alerts them as the van turns into their road so they are ready to receive to pick up the parcel from the van when it stops outside their house - with their phone talking to the van to confirm identity, receipt, etc. with cryptographic signatures.

If they are not at home then the route dynamically updates to not attempt delivery - either missing them out entirely that evening, or updating to a later time.

There's no 'getting people to comply' just an automatic conversation that goes on in the background to make sure person and parcel meet.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You can have the app alert the person "trying to deliver this evening, will you be in?" If they say yes you load it onto the van, and then the route is determined by times that people say they will be available, etc. - a dynamically formed route.

As the van gets closer to the house the app checks that the person is still at home, and if so it alerts them as the van turns into their road so they are ready to receive to pick up the parcel from the van when it stops outside their house - with their phone talking to the van to confirm identity, receipt, etc. with cryptographic signatures.

If they are not at home then the route dynamically updates to not attempt delivery - either missing them out entirely that evening, or updating to a later time.

There's no 'getting people to comply' just an automatic conversation that goes on in the background to make sure person and parcel meet.
I'm not talking about van parcels. They are contracted out mostly, they can be delivered whenever by whoever.

I'm talking about the mass books, small chinese parcels, records, clothes, shoes, that posties delivers, there are 10 times the number of those that vans carry. Parcels with an average weight of around 1.5 kilo at the most.

I do understand your app, you dont seem to understand the kind of parcels combined with the volumes I'm talking about. These are not van parcels, these are postie push bike parcels.... that need signatures and someone to accept them.

I'll see if I can find a photo of a typical cage full example.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are down to a delivery to 1 in 5 household rate now.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 8:55 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm talking about the mass books, small chinese parcels, records, clothes, shoes, that posties delivers, there are 10 times the number of those that vans carry. Parcels with an average weight of around 1.5 kilo at the most.
Which is prime ground for the drones to land on, using the same approach.

I can see the big parcels and the small parcels getting dealt with OK - but I'm kind of questioning the basic mail delivery. Not only are the fees small, it's generally now the stuff that nobody wants to receive - bills, junk mail, etc. I think it's that that the posties will be left with.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which is prime ground for the drones to land on, using the same approach.

I can see the big parcels and the small parcels getting dealt with OK - but I'm kind of questioning the basic mail delivery. Not only are the fees small, it's generally now the stuff that nobody wants to receive - bills, junk mail, etc. I think it's that that the posties will be left with.
Here's an app for you from the Play Store

"Can I fly there"

The answer is no for the best part of Melbourne and most of Sydney.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 5:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I think you will find many of these roles have already been decimated.

No effect on mass unemployment.
I think you'll find, in large cities like London, there hundreds of thousands if not millions of people doing back office work which can be automated. Australia must be an odd place where mail delivery seems to be stuck in the 90's, you don't Amazon, and yet routine office work has already been eliminated.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 5:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

We are already getting exactly this on most of our online deliveries. Lately it's been "the delivery truck is 3 stops away and will soon be with you".
Old Jun 10th 2018, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

An LSE economist was predicting that automation would take jobs, but not until the next recession :

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0..._threatens_it/

Just coming back to this article. Did you notice it's all about "growth" and "productivity surge". Small mention that businesses might see the need to control costs.

But as we know cost control is very much a secondary priority to growth. Cost control saves money (finite) where growth makes money (infinite)

We do know there are jobs out there now which could be automated today. But what's the point of risking growth, and adding expenditure investment in technology when people are making money.

So come the next recession people will lose jobs and the first to go will be wasters. Always is.

So the clincher comes on the other side. When businesses start to make money again will they use that money to invest in automation or will they just follow default settings and hire. Well probably a bit of both. The waster positions probably won't get filled. You've been without them during the recession, why fill them again.

So what happens to the wasters. Well they didn't have jobs in the recession. Some will retrain and some will change careers, some will retire. Some will never be employed. No different to previous recessions.

What about technology adoption? Well for starters it costs. If you are moving out of a recession you are treading pretty carefully. Are you going to invest in automation or hire a person, who is cheap and who you can get rid of pretty quickly. Probably the later as most businesses are pretty risk adverse.

So increasing technology adoption and automation needs a kicker. The only one on the horizon is growth and productivity increases which is all about making money which means if you are growing, jobs aren't dying.

Ask Ozzie all about that. He was supposed to be automated out of existence years ago but then Oz Post started making money.

Last edited by Beoz; Jun 10th 2018 at 11:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.