Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Nov 26th 2019, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by Shard
I'm in the Google ecosystem, but figured I'd give Alexa a try. Also some legacy Apple devices but avoiding their ecosystem. I am a bit blown away at Amazon's commercial power at using Alexa to build a it's own system (Google was already half way there). But both still seem to be in their infancy in terms of functionality.
Legacy Apple Devices ........ wow .... how times can change. I have not heard Apple & Legacy used in the same sentence before.

Agree though, the possibilities are endless with this stuff.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 11:40 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Gary, seems like a bit of over-hyping has been going on in the AV industry...

Old Nov 28th 2019, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

https://youtu.be/qf6VrDZ04EQ

Plus Drones to that list. Although it has to be said, Point Cook where Gary Lives may well be one area where they do roll them out. It has the most parcel deliveries per head in Melbourne and the houses have the property sizes to do it.

AP has literally run out of equipment not to mention space to handle the massive influx of parcels. It really has. I resigned after 24 years service, 3 weeks ago, I just couldn't go thru Xmas with the equipment shambles it is in.

I'd be getting your deliveries in early if I were anyone reading this.... or well after, say the 3rd week of January. Things are going to get lost or stored and forgotten I reckon. I Also anticipate "Going Postal" outcomes for sure this year as people nick equipment of each other and explode with frustration within the centers.

Old Nov 30th 2019, 1:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Of course they are hyping things. However the reality is, it tends to happen eventually (remember voice typewriters and Star Trek talking to the computer? Now people think it's appearance in SF is obvious and even a bit dated).

As far as vehicle automation is concerned, once one company has it, they all have it, and so does every car, because volume is key in making the money back and getting subs. Add in the money that robotaxis can make for the car companies and it's not going to be a slow transition.

My date for 'workable autonomous vehicles' was 2021 with a swift build out to 2025. It's still, just, 2019. It won't be perfect in 2021, same as voice recognition isn't perfect today, but it will be good enough. And that's the key.

And robotaxies brings mass EV, and with it a massive reduction in the amount of fossil fuels burnt - good for the environment (and better when the far right loons get forced out, or forced to champion renewables). It's about the only hope we have of getting those carbon emission down fast, such that 50% reduction by 2030 is credible.

Old Nov 30th 2019, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

If Autonomous does happen, Didi will likely make Google and Microsoft look like minnows..
Old Nov 30th 2019, 7:20 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I do remember early voice recognition, although forgot that they were a thing on Star Trek. I recall getting some dictation software in the late 90s and bring fairly amazed that it (almost) worked. Not a patch on today's Alexa, obviously.

So 2021-2025 for AV initial roll out.