Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Feb 18th 2017, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by Beoz
You seem to forget, technology and automation designed to help project managers has been used for years, and has been getting better over the years, but it still doesn't diminish the need for PM's.

Its a volume game, and the volume is being increased by demand for automation and technology.

https://communicationmeasurement.fil...management.png
I agree that the science has been around for awhile and that we need PMs, and anything the demand will increase.

As for dishing out work, yes, :-) but the Pm is still accountable. In that role, I've done a few late nights making sure it's all covered when a project team member could have done it. Don't mind backing the people though. There is still an art form to it.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I agree that the science has been around for awhile and that we need PMs, and anything the demand will increase.

As for dishing out work, yes, :-) but the Pm is still accountable. In that role, I've done a few late nights making sure it's all covered when a project team member could have done it. Don't mind backing the people though. There is still an art form to it.
Lets say you do decrease the need for PM's. Lets say today 6 out of 10 automation and tech projects need a PM. Lets say tomorrow 5 out of 10 need a PM because some form of automation kills one PM job.

The thing the luddites forget is tomorrow there won't be 10 auto and tech projects. There will be 50.

That's 25 PM's needed.
Old Feb 18th 2017, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Actually, kinda yes and no.

What you tend to find is the 80:20 rule writ large. 80% gives you no problem, the problem is in that 20% of the project. The time that doesn't hold and the whole thing goes to sh*t is when your attention is on fixing the 20% and you take your eye of the ball of the other 80%, and it goes wrong too.

And what you see is the same types of problems cropping up again and again. So you get better at anticipating and countering them. Say, you get team tensions between different types of people either not communicating or acting at cross purposes - an intangible.

Only once you recognise and understand it, its a tangible and you tend to develop an approach to understanding and diverting it before it even happens. You turn the fix into a process, a methodology, and it is less of a problem.

Which is where the management by exception comes in, in theory you can process the problems out of the game. Only the more processes you expect to be doing, the more strain on the PM, and the more they forget - they take their eye off the ball and things go wrong. Automation doesn't have that, it can look at all the angles, know best practice up the wazoo, and take into account the stats that program managers generally do. It can also do the risk analysis far better than a human.

Even the soft side can be turned into process etc. - behaviours, drivers, etc. Social network analysis can give the automation better insight than the PM, who's usually kept out of the loop.
You are v tech minded. Programme mgrs can look at traffic light colours and earned value but still need to approach the PM to ask what's going on. Remedial action is still manual.Dashboards and metrics can be fudged and obfuscated. The more I think about it the more I think the old PmO will survive !! Who'd be a Pm eh..
Old Feb 18th 2017, 9:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

You are v tech minded. Programme mgrs can look at traffic light colours and earned value but still need to approach the PM to ask what's going on. Remedial action is still manual.Dashboards and metrics can be fudged and obfuscated. The more I think about it the more I think the old PmO will survive !! Who'd be a Pm eh..
Actually, if you parse what I said carefully, you'll find I'm not too happy with the conventional process and qualification view of project management. In large part because it empirically doesn't work. However if you are C-Level and do want it - you can automate your chosen methodology and it will probably work at least as well as your fleshy machines.

And if you turned it around and took an approach that could probably work, you've probably find that automation (of a different sort) would work well.

And don't get me started on metrics.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 2:35 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

This is kind of interesting, and worrying, and explains a lot.

Americans think robots will take everyone else’s jobs but not theirs

Looks like 50% of jobs are under threat, but single digit percentages of people think they'll be affected. That means a vast number are likely wrong - and due a rude awakening.

I don't think people really get what's already done. You can already integrate image classifiers, etc. into your app/device/etc. by including a few lines of code and giving Google a few cents. It'll tell you what it is, and where - down to the level of recognising which breed of dog it is. Same with OCR, speech recognition, understanding text meaning, etc. And they are as good as humans at the task. When you actually see where they are today, you begin to realise how many jobs are going to go by-by as these blocks are joined together.

If you want a play, this lot do a classifier demo where you can feed in your own image :

https://www.clarifai.com/demo

For instance, given this image

it gives back

• Donald Trump 0.312
  • administration 0.980
  • leader 0.975
  • home 0.960
  • people 0.959
  • chair 0.937
  • politician 0.934
  • adult 0.931
  • portrait 0.929
  • one 0.892
  • election 0.888
  • man 0.883
  • business 0.880
  • league 0.864
  • room 0.862
  • banking 0.861
  • meeting 0.857
  • parliament 0.842
  • capitol 0.811
  • democracy 0.803
  • indoors 0.800
which is probably better than most people could do.

Last edited by GarryP; Feb 25th 2017 at 2:57 am.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is kind of interesting, and worrying, and explains a lot.

Americans think robots will take everyone else’s jobs but not theirs

Looks like 50% of jobs are under threat, but single digit percentages of people think they'll be affected. That means a vast number are likely wrong - and due a rude awakening.

I don't think people really get what's already done. You can already integrate image classifiers, etc. into your app/device/etc. by including a few lines of code and giving Google a few cents. It'll tell you what it is, and where - down to the level of recognising which breed of dog it is. Same with OCR, speech recognition, understanding text meaning, etc. And they are as good as humans at the task. When you actually see where they are today, you begin to realise how many jobs are going to go by-by as these blocks are joined together.

If you want a play, this lot do a classifier demo where you can feed in your own image :

https://www.clarifai.com/demo

For instance, given this image

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/d...Al6Za7zBGI.jpg

it gives back

• Donald Trump 0.312
  • administration 0.980
  • leader 0.975
  • home 0.960
  • people 0.959
  • chair 0.937
  • politician 0.934
  • adult 0.931
  • portrait 0.929
  • one 0.892
  • election 0.888
  • man 0.883
  • business 0.880
  • league 0.864
  • room 0.862
  • banking 0.861
  • meeting 0.857
  • parliament 0.842
  • capitol 0.811
  • democracy 0.803
  • indoors 0.800
which is probably better than most people could do.
Big Fail? : Trump was matched low against others like indoors and chair?

Granted Trump was recognised
Old Feb 25th 2017, 5:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

It's the combination of two different classifiers (celebrity/general) - so the %age probabilities cannot be compared. Think how hard it is to recognise trump and not have someone who looks a bit like trump register highly. Next to that it's recognising that it's indoors with an 80% probability from ... what ?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute

as an Australian
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:49 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think people really get what's already done. You can already integrate image classifiers, etc. into your app/device/etc. by including a few lines of code and giving Google a few cents. .
This is spot on. I think it's because anyone over 40 probably remembers the false dawn of AI from the Seventies, and thinks that the potential debunked then, is somehow a natural law.

Another factor is when the tech is introduced, it tends to be a bit wonky (think speech recognition 20 years ago, passable, but glitchy) and then people don't appreciate the incremental changes. Look at Siri (etc.) and how relatively unremarkable consumer reaction has been to a long promised interface. It's that kind of insidious tech creep that is going to catch a lot or people out, IMO.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
This is spot on. I think it's because anyone over 40 probably remembers the false dawn of AI from the Seventies, and thinks that the potential debunked then, is somehow a natural law.

Another factor is when the tech is introduced, it tends to be a bit wonky (think speech recognition 20 years ago, passable, but glitchy) and then people don't appreciate the incremental changes. Look at Siri (etc.) and how relatively unremarkable consumer reaction has been to a long promised interface. It's that kind of insidious tech creep that is going to catch a lot or people out, IMO.
I've been using voice recognition a lot lately and it's improved unbelievably, problem I have with it is when using it for say forums etc, you dont really want the whole world around you to hear what you are posting. I can think of many other areas where the same applies etc, messaging, emailing etc etc.

So at best it's probably only useful as a command center and currently it lags behind on that. The rigours you have to go through to turn a tablet into totally voice activated on all apps is still quite daunting. I was going to give it a go, in fact I bought a hi spec tablet just for that purpose...But installing 3 different software apps just to get it working basically, is over the top. It's a long way from done and dusted yet.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 10:26 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've been using voice recognition a lot lately and it's improved unbelievably, problem I have with it is when using it for say forums etc, you dont really want the whole world around you to hear what you are posting. I can think of many other areas where the same applies etc, messaging, emailing etc etc.
In part some of the reason why speech recognition has gotten better over the last few years is the application of deep learning - so it's all connected. There was a day when google turned on their new DL model and people noticed how much it got better overnight, without knowing the why.

BTW, they are working on the translation aspect similarly, with similar results :

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/m...awakening.html

Here's your opening paragraph in Finnish

Olen käyttänyt puheentunnistuksen paljon viime aikoina ja se on parantunut uskomattoman, ongelmani liittyy se, kun käyttää sitä vaikkapa foorumit, et todellakaan halua koko maailma ympärilläsi kuulla, mitä olet lähettämässä. Voin ajatella monia muita aloja, joilla sama pätee jne, sähköpostin jne jne
and here's what you get when you run the Finnish back into English

I've used a lot of speech recognition in recent times and it has improved incredibly, my problem associated with it, when to use it, say, forums, you really do not want the whole world around you to hear what you are sending. I can think of many other areas in which the same is true, etc., e-mail, etc., etc.
It isn't perfect, but it's pretty damn close to getting the sense of the original rather than the words, certainly enough to understand. And it learns from simply getting large gobs of text thrown at it - which is why they have over 100 languages now, including Scottish Gaelic ("Mar ma tha duine sam bith a bha a 'cur dragh."). It's going to be a piece of piss to connect speech recognition at one end and speech synthesis at the other for a star trek translator.

Now imagine that rather than obscure languages, they threw previous insurance claim forms and assessments/settlements at it ....

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
So at best it's probably only useful as a command center and currently it lags behind on that. The rigours you have to go through to turn a tablet into totally voice activated on all apps is still quite daunting. I was going to give it a go, in fact I bought a hi spec tablet just for that purpose...But installing 3 different software apps just to get it working basically, is over the top. It's a long way from done and dusted yet.
Things like Amazon Echo and Google Home ain't perfect, but they are useful enough to keep around, and will only get better. Knock off the corners and really connect things together properly and I can see how they are going to take over the home - which is why both of those companies are trying to own the space for home purchasing.

Personally I think someone (probably google) is going to come out with a voice controlled/AI OS, rather than trying to bolt things on to the phone/tablet experience (which is itself derived from the Xerox WIMP interface) - give it a few years.

And when you take into consideration the ability to take in and understand visual AND audio data, coupled with at a minimum an understanding of particular niche domains - I think that even customer facing type roles are going to fall. Call centres (obviously), but shops (online & offline merging), fast food (similarly), etc. - basically anywhere where you've tried to turn humans into robots with process laden training and scripts.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 6:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

In part some of the reason why speech recognition has gotten better over the last few years is the application of deep learning - so it's all connected. There was a day when google turned on their new DL model and people noticed how much it got better overnight, without knowing the why.

BTW, they are working on the translation aspect similarly, with similar results :

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/m...awakening.html

Here's your opening paragraph in Finnish

and training and scripts.
A long read, but an excellent piece. Thanks.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I think that even customer facing type roles are going to fall. Call centres (obviously), but shops (online & offline merging), fast food (similarly), etc. - basically anywhere where you've tried to turn humans into robots with process laden training and scripts.
Hold on. Voice is just another input method. Same as your keyboard, mouse, hololens. We already replace call centres, shops, takeaway food, etc with those input methods.

What voice does do is allow you to make those purchases, cancellations, alterations, in situations where you can't use other input methods - like when you are driving your car giving the user more opportunities to make transactions. More transactions more jobs in other areas.

What are those other jobs? Well it doesn't replace the audio sales method, the complex scenario that needs sorting, the human touch. Imagine Foxtel allowing you to cancel your account with one click, one voice command. Not a chance. The call centre will get in the way before they allow that, then try and on sell you whatever they can.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:18 pm
Yo

Hold on. Voice is just another input method. Same as your keyboard, mouse, hololens. We already replace call centres, shops, takeaway food, etc with those input methods.

What voice does do is allow you to make those purchases, cancellations, alterations, in situations where you can't use other input methods - like when you are driving your car giving the user more opportunities to make transactions. More transactions more jobs in other areas.

What are those other jobs? Well it doesn't replace the audio sales method, the complex scenario that needs sorting, the human touch. Imagine Foxtel allowing you to cancel your account with one click, one voice command. Not a chance. The call centre will get in the way before they allow that, then try and on sell you whatever they can.
Maybe not replace entirely, but how about a 95% reduction in human touch. VR goes far beyond call centres. For example teaching and healthcare systems could be voice driven.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:55 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

You deleted the bit before

And when you take into consideration the ability to take in and understand visual AND audio data, coupled with at a minimum an understanding of particular niche domains ...
It's not just voice as an input, it's the combination of interacting with humans via human mechanisms AND being able to at least look like an intelligent entity.

And the reason is bound up in your Foxtel example. I'd much rather deal with an AI that's programmed to appear to be human and compassionate than I would the average Foxtel call centre operative (the AI would be smarter for a start). It would also be much cheaper for Foxtel.

What's more the divide between 'online' and 'real world' gets blurred. Imagine walking into a shop, having the shop 'size you up' ('looks like a bogan, non-cashed up variety') and then meet your needs and sell you a product taking that into account, delivered to your home. Again, probably better, certainly more knowledgeable, and cheaper than your usual JB Hifi type.

Thing is, in that niche it's relatively easy to create something that can pattern match how the best human salesman works, and deliver it consistently. And learn to be better. All with less people involved, so less jobs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.