Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The world of automation

The world of automation

Old Oct 23rd 2018, 2:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world of automation

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ha .... Good question. ..... Both never made it to the top.
Ah, I see what you did there. I'm referring to the great ELON of course. Too much posting on Brexit threads had me confused!
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Ah, I see what you did there. I'm referring to the great ELON of course. Too much posting on Brexit threads had me confused!
Yes. Elon Musk. He just fell a bit short before he had his mental breakdown.

Had he started turning a profit, things might be different.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 11:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I was doing a bit of research on train automation. I thought it was first deployed in the 1970's but to my surprise, I found out that the Victoria Line on the London Underground went operational with an automated system in 1968. There is still a driver on board (unions) but he basically does nothing. So why we still have train drivers in 2018 on most systems is strange
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I was doing a bit of research on train automation. I thought it was first deployed in the 1970's but to my surprise, I found out that the Victoria Line on the London Underground went operational with an automated system in 1968. There is still a driver on board (unions) but he basically does nothing. So why we still have train drivers in 2018 on most systems is strange
The new Sydney metro line will be driverless. That's the benefits of building a new train line from scratch. To retro fit an existing line would not be worth it. Now in saying that, they have shut down part of the existing line (which the metro will use) to refit. They are using new trains (single level driverless trains) so the existing tunnels and stations need to be refitted to accommodate. Its a huge undertaking. Still, it would not be worth doing that to any other line.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...trains/9562722
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 11:58 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Had he started turning a profit, things might be different.
Ahem : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-stanley-says

Expectation is that the call today will announce profitability. One of the shorts has gone long ahead of it, which suggest positive news leaking.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Ahem : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...n-stanley-says

Expectation is that the call today will announce profitability. One of the shorts has gone long ahead of it, which suggest positive news leaking.
Yes I read this on the SMH, however I certainly wouldn't be calling it an Ahem moment. They are in massive amounts of debt and no one has bought anything yet. If a futurist starts predicting their shambolic share price may rise slightly, then of course the futurist is going to jump on for a bit.

Last edited by Beoz; Oct 24th 2018 at 12:27 am.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 7:53 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I read this on the SMH, however I certainly wouldn't be calling it an Ahem moment. They are in massive amounts of debt and no one has bought anything yet. If a futurist starts predicting their shambolic share price may rise slightly, then of course the futurist is going to jump on for a bit.
?

Plenty of Tesla's on UK roads.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 8:37 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

?

Plenty of Tesla's on UK roads.
Tesla sold more cars than BMW or Mercedes Benz in the US last quarter - and not by a small margin.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 12:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Tesla had $6.8 billion in revenue, with a profit of $312 million and Model 3 gross margin of more than 20%. They are getting close to rivaling the Toyota Corolla in Model 3 sales terms.

http://ir.tesla.com/static-files/725...1-422d4045f799

and no one has bought anything yet
Ahem ....
Old Oct 25th 2018, 10:51 am
Yo

Elon delivers a result !

I guess Beoz is busy eating his hat at the moment.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Elon delivers a result !

I guess Beoz is busy eating his hat at the moment.
Finally ........... However there is soooooo much red there to pay back.

https://c1cleantechnicacom-wpengine....ncome-Loss.jpg
Old Oct 26th 2018, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
Tesla had $6.8 billion in revenue, with a profit of $312 million and Model 3 gross margin of more than 20%. They are getting close to rivaling the Toyota Corolla in Model 3 sales terms.

http://ir.tesla.com/static-files/725...1-422d4045f799

Ahem ....
I think (for September at least) they passed Corolla. Still not near the top though and certainly not for the year.

Speaking of Carolla, ABC's fact checks should always be taken with a grain of salt, but here's one for the greens.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...-tesla/9461096
Old Oct 27th 2018, 4:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I think (for September at least) they passed Corolla. Still not near the top though and certainly not for the year.

Speaking of Carolla, ABC's fact checks should always be taken with a grain of salt, but here's one for the greens.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-...-tesla/9461096
I agree about the fact checks, particularly in this case because there are so many assumptions made on both sides.

For example, do they take into account those who charge their EVs from their own solar arrays? Those who own Teslas tend to have a high rate of solar panel ownership. You'd then have to apportion the use of "free" electricity against their total household use plus the environmental "cost" of panel manufacture etc. Way too complicated for me!
Old Oct 27th 2018, 9:21 am
Yo

Isn't Elon going to put you Aussies on a big bitchin battery anyway ?!
Old Oct 27th 2018, 9:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Elon going to put you Aussies on a big bitchin battery anyway ?!
Done 10 months ago in record time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.