British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Wondering about the humidity in Brisbane??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/wondering-about-humidity-brisbane-536904/)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 16th 2008 4:08 am

Wondering about the humidity in Brisbane???

1 Attachment(s)
If you were, take a look at this..........taken on an 'averagely' humid day in the summer just gone. Was only about 37-39 degrees on this day, so no-where near as hot as it normally gets in the summer.........
If you look closely, you can see my shirt sticking to me, the wet sweat patches everywhere, the beetroot face....Ah, what it is to feel like a pressure cooker! :rofl::rofl:

A tribute to REM: Shiny Happy People, eat yer heart out!!!!!! :rofl::rofl:

Buzzy--Bee May 16th 2008 4:46 am

Re: Wondering about the humidity in Brisbane???

You will look forward to coming to Melbourne then - no humidity here, but we still get the heat.

Buzzy

asprilla May 16th 2008 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6356946)
You will look forward to coming to Melbourne then - no humidity here, but we still get the heat.

Buzzy

other way round mate. Same humidity in Melbourne, but less heat. Hence it feels colder.

>Trigger< May 16th 2008 5:07 am

Personally I think the humidity argument is a little overrated...when it's 40 degrees plus...its' hot,no matter which state you live in

I mean after all...it's friggin Australia...what do people expect?

http://www.wunderground.com/global/R...xHumidity.html

Buzzy--Bee May 16th 2008 5:36 am

Originally Posted by markallwood (Post 6356966)
other way round mate. Same humidity in Melbourne, but less heat. Hence it feels colder.

Sorry mate, you're wrong.

Melbourne has a very very dry heat, you don't sweat. Melbourne in summer is considerably hotter than Queensland and cooler in winter, but it is always less humid. In fact it is the least humid place I've ever lived. So less humid than London or New Zealand. It's more like Southern California in that aspect.

Buzzy

Wendy May 16th 2008 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6357017)

Melbourne has a very very dry heat, you don't sweat. Melbourne in summer is considerably hotter than Queensland and cooler in winter, but it is always less humid. In fact it is the least humid place I've ever lived. So less humid than London or New Zealand. It's more like Southern California in that aspect.

Buzzy

If it's anything like SA the humidity is less than 20% most days during the summer :ohmy:

Buzzy--Bee May 16th 2008 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 6357022)
If it's anything like SA the humidity is less than 20% most days during the summer :ohmy:

I reckon weather-wise VIC and SA would be the two most similar states.

Buzzy

Clippy May 16th 2008 5:40 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6356885)
If you were, take a look at this..........taken on an 'averagely' humid day in the summer just gone. Was only about 37-39 degrees on this day, so no-where near as hot as it normally gets in the summer.........
If you look closely, you can see my shirt sticking to me, the wet sweat patches everywhere, the beetroot face....Ah, what it is to feel like a pressure cooker! :rofl::rofl:

Lol...wow, great view :rofl:

Wendy May 16th 2008 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6357027)

Buzzy

Yeah, usually the weather comes to you from us and we get it from Perth - it takes about a week to get here from there though :D

moneypenny20 May 16th 2008 5:53 am

Hardly been any humidity here this last summer - apart from the rain of course ;) Must have been the mildest summer for ages, was a perfect time for people to move here and acclimatise. Chilly autumn though :sneaky:

asprilla May 16th 2008 6:12 am

Buzzy

Strange that the BOM site says otherwise. But what do they know? They probably don't sweat in their air-conditioned offices....

ps - take a visit to cairns if you haven't been. It is hotter and more humid than both Brisbane and Melbourne. Your shirt will get a little damp up that end. Melbourne though, is slightly more humid than Brisbane but has a much cooler climate. Hence - you feel cooler. Simple as that.

Geelong Gent May 16th 2008 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6357027)

Buzzy

Attracting 2 very like minded groups of expats

BadgeIsBack May 16th 2008 11:14 am

Originally Posted by markallwood (Post 6356966)

Eh? On extreme days, I would say that Melbourne is 'more heat' and ''less'' humidity. When it is 35-40+ in Melbourne the humidity is likely to be in the teens or single digits hence whilst VIC is so fire-prone.

Hotter air can hold more water vapour though.

BadgeIsBack May 16th 2008 11:19 am

Originally Posted by markallwood (Post 6357105)
Strange that the BOM site says otherwise. But what do they know? They probably don't sweat in their air-conditioned offices....

ps - take a visit to cairns if you haven't been. It is hotter and more humid than both Brisbane and Melbourne. Your shirt will get a little damp up that end. Melbourne though, is slightly more humid than Brisbane but has a much cooler climate. Hence - you feel cooler. Simple as that.

I'm not sure now if this is an exercise in physics or you are quoting an index not often used (or understood) but I'd say Melbourne has more humidity in winter.

But in summer, Melbourne and Adelaide are not humid at all. Far from it and I have experienced it in Brissy. Sydney is noticeably more humid too. ''Apparently" .

I agree with Buzzy when he says Melbourne is generally a low humidity area. Even the UK feels humid by comparison.

mark 'n' joe May 16th 2008 1:58 pm

Nice pic;) Not been on as much lately so missed you are moving to Melbourne,
I thought you had settled nicely in Brisbane.

Good luck

Jx

tonychef May 16th 2008 2:53 pm

the only thing that makes cairns seem hot is the humidity which is similar to darwin the hottest cairns gets is about 38 deg in the day and about 25 deg at night with 90-100 % humidity its not to nice , melbourne, perth and adalaide are very, very dry in summer because of the direction of the winds that come from inland Hence ( dry ) and your feet start to crack when you where thongs everyday,well mine did.

But its getting cold in noosa now and we`ve had the heating on for the last few weeks ( blood is to thin now ) anything below 25deg seems cold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy:

JenJen May 16th 2008 6:34 pm

Well anywhere is warm when you've spent so long in the UK we had shockingly warm weather end of last week up to Wednesday when it started to get cooler, I was wondering if the whole village had been ripped out of the UK and emigrated itself to a slightly warmer country lol.

So I take it Sydney is somewhere imbetween Melbourne and Brisbane when it comes to heat?
Oh well i'd better make the most of the sort of warm weather here cause in a couple of weeks all of a sudden it'll be back to being Winter.....hmmmmmm oh goody only just left Winter behind, we so didn't time this move well (not that we had any choice) but a UK summer (ha ha ha) and then an Aussie summer would have been fantastic :)

Jen

Buzzy--Bee May 16th 2008 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by JenJen (Post 6359896)
a UK summer (ha ha ha) and then an Aussie summer would have been fantastic :)

Jen

Jen

We had a UK winter followed by an Oz winter and the Oz winter (even in Melbourne :D ) was so warm and mild and dry it could have easily been a UK Spring or Autumn.

I think arriving in winter is best, you can get all the hassly things out of the way like finding a house, banks etc and then by the time spring comes you can really enjoy it.

Buzzy

JenJen May 16th 2008 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6360197)
Jen

We had a UK winter followed by an Oz winter and the Oz winter (even in Melbourne :D ) was so warm and mild and dry it could have easily been a UK Spring or Autumn.

I think arriving in winter is best, you can get all the hassly things out of the way like finding a house, banks etc and then by the time spring comes you can really enjoy it.

Buzzy

never thought about it like that - thanks :) ;)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 16th 2008 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 6357031)
Yeah, usually the weather comes to you from us and we get it from Perth - it takes about a week to get here from there though :D

Yeah, yawning and bored stupid as it comes, I imagine! :p

Got a mental image of a cloud rolling over looking very dull with a big grimace on it's phizzog!! :p

jad n rich May 16th 2008 9:11 pm

When is brisbane typically 38 - 39 degrees :confused: , it struggled to get over 28 this year, last time this was discussed it was agreed the last hot summer was about 2003, and this year there was one day it reached anywhere near 40.

If people want some 38 / 39 days each summer far better chance of finding them looking around adelaide, perth, melbourne or inland qld than brisbane.

asprilla May 16th 2008 11:12 pm

It was really foggy this morning in the city.

(just thought I'd throw that in there as we're all harping on about the weather...)

BadgeIsBack May 17th 2008 12:00 am

Originally Posted by JenJen (Post 6359896)

So I take it Sydney is somewhere imbetween Melbourne and Brisbane when it comes to heat?

Jen

In terms of humidity it is (I think). One thing is shares with Brisbane is sunny winters.

Adelaide and Melbourne get colder, more overcast winters.

Autumn lasts longer in Sydney (and Perth). It is still reaching early 20s when
Melbourne gets to high teens.

Wendy May 17th 2008 1:00 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6360423)
Yeah, yawning and bored stupid as it comes, I imagine! :p

Got a mental image of a cloud rolling over looking very dull with a big grimace on it's phizzog!! :p

Generally they've commited suicide before they get this far :D

Vin 'n Bin May 17th 2008 5:23 am

Humidity,my pet hate :(. Adelaide and Melbourne are fine, the only humidity is when the dregs of a cyclone are dragged down as a deep low, otherwise a very dry heat.
Sydney experiences some humidity...so does Perth. The further north you travel the more humid it is.
Perth is just that little bit further north than Sydney ;)

Bernieboy May 17th 2008 8:24 am

I feel sorry for the lovely looking lady next to him,standing next to a sweaty ugly looking pom:eek::rofl:

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 17th 2008 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 6361808)
I feel sorry for the lovely looking lady next to him,standing next to a sweaty ugly looking pom:eek::rofl:

Good onya! :huh::thumbdown:

Clippy May 17th 2008 8:47 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6361866)
Good onya! :huh::thumbdown:

There is something quite disturbing about the thumbdown smiley

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 17th 2008 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Clippy (Post 6361877)
There is something quite disturbing about the thumbdown smiley

OK, just for you - :thumbup::thumbsup:

Clippy May 17th 2008 8:50 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6361880)
OK, just for you - :thumbup::thumbsup:

Lol..oddly, now they all look disturbing :eek:

moneypenny20 May 17th 2008 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Clippy (Post 6361888)

Don't know where you've been, I mentioned that when the one handed one (either up or down :blink:) first came on ;):rofl:

Clippy May 17th 2008 9:00 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6361907)
Don't know where you've been, I mentioned that when the one handed one (either up or down :blink:) first came on ;):rofl:

I'm always here!

Well that's not strictly true, I'm usually on facebook :lol:

moneypenny20 May 17th 2008 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Clippy (Post 6361915)
I'm always here!

Well that's not strictly true, I'm usually on facebook :lol:

I don't really understand facebook. Never found any people from my past, never understood the wall thing. Do you chat on there the same as here? I get irritated by the weird things people can do to you so I don't bother going there very often :unsure:

Bernieboy May 17th 2008 9:11 am

Fluffs def looks more than a little bit DISTURBED:p

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 17th 2008 9:12 am

You've just got a thumb fetish mate! Want to talk about it? ;):p

Clippy May 17th 2008 9:16 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6361934)
I don't really understand facebook. Never found any people from my past, never understood the wall thing. Do you chat on there the same as here? I get irritated by the weird things people can do to you so I don't bother going there very often :unsure:

I have some relatives on there, few people off here. Yes you can chat on there, there's an im thing now and you can pm, send stuff in applications. See other people's photos :) I use it every day

Originally Posted by Bernieboy (Post 6361947)
Fluffs def looks more than a little bit DISTURBED:p

Me thinks thou doth protest too much ;)

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 6361953)
You've just got a thumb fetish mate! Want to talk about it? ;):p

Lol..erm...I'm not sure how to answer that :lol:

JackTheLad May 17th 2008 11:39 am

See that building behind you with the 'pyramid' on top. I work there.

I saw your sweaty back :eek:

JTL

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer May 17th 2008 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad (Post 6362318)
See that building behind you with the 'pyramid' on top. I work there.

I saw your sweaty back :eek:

JTL

So long as it was only my sweaty 'back' you were looking at!! :eek:

Siren & Brian May 17th 2008 10:02 pm

The wife has a nice glow about her. When is she due?

sammyg May 17th 2008 10:17 pm

Buzzy

OK - so you don't sweat at 40c in melbourne:rolleyes:

It really must be sooo fantastic over there - why do you always feel the need to harp on about how fantastic melbourne is compared to brisbane?
No offence meant but the record does seem to be broken.

It's only YOUR opinion and i don't see people praising brisbane at every opportunity - maybe they don't have to convince themselves (only joking, i know you are seriously in luurve with melbourne:D)

:)