British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Wondering about the humidity in Brisbane??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/wondering-about-humidity-brisbane-536904/)

wmoore May 17th 2008 11:59 am

Re: Wondering about the humidity in Brisbane???

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6357050)
Hardly been any humidity here this last summer - apart from the rain of course ;) Must have been the mildest summer for ages, was a perfect time for people to move here and acclimatise. Chilly autumn though :sneaky:

You aint kidding! People tell me last winter was the mildest in a while (I was in NT where the winter is glorious) but it's damn cold at the moment. Supposedly down to 7C overnight :ohmy: When I took the dog out at 630 this morning, I was fully wrapped up in a fleece and still shivering. Even now the sun has got up in the sky a bit, it's still fleece / jacket weather. Brrrrr.

BadgeIsBack May 17th 2008 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6361934)
I don't really understand facebook. Never found any people from my past, never understood the wall thing. Do you chat on there the same as here? I get irritated by the weird things people can do to you so I don't bother going there very often :unsure:

It is handy for keeping tabs with all the real mates you have and sharing photos and experiences without having to email people.

You can lock it down to refuse strangers and not install apps if they bother you.

BadgeIsBack May 17th 2008 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 6363818)
OK - so you don't sweat at 40c in melbourne:rolleyes:

:)

Noone said it wasn't hot or uncomfortable or you didn't sweat like you might with high humidity.

Mate a fireman is telling you that 40 degree days in Melbourne have low humidity. Next time I get the index on my pager I will let you know. Brisbane tends to have less extremes and higher humidity in summer - it is a fact.

Cee U Next Tuesday.

Next....

wmoore May 17th 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 6364255)
Noone said it wasn't hot or uncomfortable or you didn't sweat like you might with high humidity.

The OP was kind of suggesting it.

jad n rich May 17th 2008 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 6363975)
You aint kidding! People tell me last winter was the mildest in a while (I was in NT where the winter is glorious) but it's damn cold at the moment. Supposedly down to 7C overnight :ohmy: When I took the dog out at 630 this morning, I was fully wrapped up in a fleece and still shivering. Even now the sun has got up in the sky a bit, it's still fleece / jacket weather. Brrrrr.

I was saying the other day brissie gets a proper summer/distinct winter spring etc but no real autumn, but it was today, so sunny, sky like crystal, very windy we spent ages picking up fallen pine cones and twigs, to light the wood burner tonight after stuffing a nice big leg of lamb and red wine. Great day, love this time of year.

wmoore May 17th 2008 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 6364493)
I was saying the other day brissie gets a proper summer/distinct winter spring etc but no real autumn, but it was today, so sunny, sky like crystal, very windy we spent ages picking up fallen pine cones and twigs, to light the wood burner tonight after stuffing a nice big leg of lamb and red wine. Great day, love this time of year.

Nice :thumbup:

I've been out in the car earlier with the heaters on. So does all the debris from the neighbours trees currently in my garden mean it's Autumn? ;)

jad n rich May 17th 2008 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 6364511)
Nice :thumbup:

I've been out in the car earlier with the heaters on. So does all the debris from the neighbours trees currently in my garden mean it's Autumn? ;)

We drove out to the farm shop, dodging bits of trees all the way :blink: got back and the pool looks like soup its so thick with tree twigs and leaves, so I guess it is:rofl:.

moneypenny20 May 17th 2008 7:12 pm

Fire's lit, oven's on for the roast, my toes are just thawing out :D Having just spent an hour or so ironing, I think it's time the ironing board came indoors now. Getting too chilly to do it outdoors. Roll on Spring :lol: I quite enjoy ironing outside :blink: We've got some lovely Autumn colours round here, looks fab.

BadgeIsBack May 17th 2008 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 6364331)
The OP was kind of suggesting it.

I can't be bothered to read that far back lol. And to clarify my comment above, I was talking about Melbourne, and I think Buzzy might have used the wrong word when he appeared to say you don't sweat in Melbourne, I don't think he meant literally that you don't sweat at all.

It's a fact Brisbane in summer probably feels more humid than Melbourne but both places might make you feel ''hot'' (or sweat) eventually.

BTW, in Melbourne, I've often ventured out into 40 degrees of heat from an AC office and for about 10-15 minutes I've thought - 'Doesn't feel too bad - not as bad as I thought - very, very dry but I don't feel sweaty". It's only if I walk that I feel warm. Brisbane made me feel ''sweaty'' even when stationary.

bcworld May 17th 2008 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 6363818)
OK - so you don't sweat at 40c in melbourne:rolleyes:

Actually, in my experience you don't.

I was there on NYE...it was 42C but super low humidity. You could sit outside without sweating. I'm sure if you decided to go for a run it would be a different story.

BadgeIsBack May 17th 2008 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 6364567)
Actually, in my experience you don't.

I was there on NYE...it was 42C but super low humidity. You could sit outside without sweating. I'm sure if you decided to go for a run it would be a different story.

Indeed. It's bizarre. Like I said, at times, you can say to yourself, "this is alright".

wmoore May 17th 2008 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 6364565)
I can't be bothered to read that far back lol. And to clarify my comment above, I was talking about Melbourne, and I think Buzzy might have used the wrong word when he appeared to say you don't sweat in Melbourne, I don't think he meant literally that you don't sweat at all.

It's a fact Brisbane in summer probably feels more humid than Melbourne but both places might make you feel ''hot'' (or sweat) eventually.

BTW, in Melbourne, I've often ventured out into 40 degrees of heat from an AC office and for about 10-15 minutes I've thought - 'Doesn't feel too bad - not as bad as I thought - very, very dry but I don't feel sweaty". It's only if I walk that I feel warm. Brisbane made me feel ''sweaty'' even when stationary.

I probably haven't spent enough time in Melbourne to qualify that one exactly, but having spent a couple of seasons in Darwin, it's like comparing 33 during the wet and 33 during the dry - completely different. And yes, you can go out during the dry when it's still hot and not instantly feel uncomfortable, unlike at any point during the wet.

However, what I can say is that people seem to have the idea that during a Brisbane summer, it is constantly hot and humid (and therefore uncomfortable), which isn't true. It seems there are a ton of Brisbane climate experts on this forum who haven't spent more than a long weekend here :rolleyes: (and I'm sure there are equally as many for other cities too!).

BadgeIsBack May 17th 2008 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 6364578)
However, what I can say is that people seem to have the idea that during a Brisbane summer, it is constantly hot and humid (and therefore uncomfortable), which isn't true.

I have never complained about QLD heat, like some of the resident expats do,
but I do know that some areas would be better than others and that you would acclimatise to an extent (as was pointed out to me when I was working up there). People joke about the heat and humidity in Brisbane - look at that email joke that regularly does the rounds - they don't in Melbourne because actually, 40+ days are still quite rare.

Originally Posted by wmoore (Post 6364578)

It seems there are a ton of Brisbane climate experts on this forum who haven't spent more than a long weekend here :rolleyes: (and I'm sure there are equally as many for other cities too!).

;-)

If someone ever wanted to accuse me of claiming to be a QLD climate expert, I would continue to say, even whilst the judge was putting on his black hat that Brisbane is more humid than Melbourne - in general, and that was the point that people who agree with me were making.

cheers

bcworld May 17th 2008 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 6364604)

;-)

If someone ever wanted to accuse me of claiming to be a QLD climate expert, I would continue to say, even whilst the judge was putting on his black hat that Brisbane is more humid than Melbourne - in general, and that was the point that people who agree with me were making.

I think what's more important, rather than the fact that over a whole year the average humdity is the same in both cities is that Brisbane's peak humidity happens to coincide with the hot time of the year, whereas Melbourne's occurs in winter. Therefore overall discomfort, due to humidity is greater in Brisbane.

Personally I haven't had any issue with it in each of the last 2 summers, possibly because I'm acclimatised, or possibly becuase the hot element has simply been missing, especially this last one.

wmoore May 17th 2008 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 6364604)
I have never complained about QLD heat, like some of the resident expats do,
but I do know that some areas would be better than others and that you would acclimatise to an extent (as was pointed out to me when I was working up there). People joke about the heat and humidity in Brisbane - look at that email joke that regularly does the rounds - they don't in Melbourne because actually, 40+ days are still quite rare.

What's the joke? Share.

I don't think Brisbane has had a 40+ day for a couple of summers actually.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
;-)

cheers

Your diploma is in the post :D

jad n rich May 17th 2008 8:18 pm

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;6364565]

/QUOTE]

I love this new melbourne V bris war:rofl:, think you missed a few posts bb while you were away, but it all got a bit precious and a bit of drum banging went on.

All easily explained :D

Of course you dont sweat in melboune the 3 million flies on your back mop it up first :rofl:

And sweating in Brisbane is simply the excitement of getting off the plane after melbourne :rofl:

Ducks under desk :D JOKE! dont emigrate on this advice:D

moneypenny20 May 17th 2008 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 6364713)
JOKE! dont emigrate on this advice:D

Oh, I don't know. There's been worse advice over the years :rolleyes::lol:

asprilla May 17th 2008 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 6364248)
It is handy for keeping tabs with all the real mates you have and sharing photos and experiences without having to email people.

You can lock it down to refuse strangers and not install apps if they bother you.

yep, I love going on there and being able to see my friends' latest pics.

hate those applications though.

sonlymewalter May 17th 2008 9:18 pm

And sweating in Brisbane is simply the excitement of getting off the plane after melbourne :rofl:

:rofl::rofl:

sonlymewalter May 17th 2008 9:22 pm

It's a joke Buzzy:rolleyes: Settle petal :lol:

bcworld May 17th 2008 9:38 pm

:cry_smile: = me sitting at the gate in Melbourne waiting for a flight back to Brissie. Maybe it's a cold sweat. Never mind, off there next weekend...and 2 weekends after that. Thank god! :thumbup:

sonlymewalter May 17th 2008 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 6364876)
:cry_smile: = me sitting at the gate in Melbourne waiting for a flight back to Brissie. Maybe it's a cold sweat. Never mind, off there next weekend...and 2 weekends after that. Thank god! :thumbup:

:cry_smile: = me landing in Melbourne airport - thinking I'd landed in Manchester :lol:

sammyg May 17th 2008 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 6364255)

Mate a fireman is telling you that 40 degree days in Melbourne have low humidity. Next time I get the index on my pager I will let you know. Brisbane tends to have less extremes and higher humidity in summer - it is a fact.

Cee U Next Tuesday.

Next....

The definition of 'pompous pri*k' defined - i thank you (awaits floods of karma through the PM system;))

:thumbdown:

BadgeIsBack May 17th 2008 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 6365041)
The definition of 'pompous pri*k' defined - i thank you (awaits floods of karma through the PM system;))

:thumbdown:

If pompous prick means I am offering advice which is known to be reliable then yes thanks.

But never mind.

sammyg May 17th 2008 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 6365163)
If pompous prick means I am offering advice which is known to be reliable then yes thanks.

But never mind.

You keep on living in your bubble...:rofl:

BadgeIsBack May 17th 2008 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 6365194)
You keep on living in your bubble...:rofl:

A joke soon defuses the situation......:huh:

:)

The CFA and BOM are known to be reliable (reasonably so) in their knowledge of weather and fire effects.

Move along, nothing more to see......

curly May 17th 2008 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6364559)
Fire's lit, oven's on for the roast, my toes are just thawing out :D Having just spent an hour or so ironing, I think it's time the ironing board came indoors now. Getting too chilly to do it outdoors. Roll on Spring :lol: I quite enjoy ironing outside :blink: We've got some lovely Autumn colours round here, looks fab.

Ironing :blink: what's that then :confused: :rofl: