Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Will I Vote In The Referendum?

View Poll Results: Will you vote for or against the Voice. Poll choice is NOT public
Yes
40.91%
No
59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Will I Vote In The Referendum?

Old Oct 2nd 2023, 12:00 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I Vote In The Referendum?

Early voting started today in WA, NT, VIC and TAS.

Early voting for remaining states opens tomorrow.
Old Oct 2nd 2023, 2:01 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotty9000
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9...616e6b987009d7

This is an article I read today. I think it is rather good. It's not about the voice but it is about racism. And colonialism. And progress.
It's a good reminder of how bad racism used to be in Britain decades ago, and no doubt in some small pockets now. It doesn't necessarily follow that Braverman is trying to return to this past, a conflation that much of media seem intent on making.
Old Oct 2nd 2023, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You can decide whether to watch Sky news.
I find the amount of propaganda a bit shocking. But at least there's a free vote buried under it somewhere.
The misinformation bill is Labors attempt to squash Sky News. https://theconversation.com/yes-labo...-online-213241

I don't watch Sky News but it's a private organisation and people are free to pay for Sky and watch it, or not.

What I don't like is the political leanings of a tax payer funded organisation in the ABC. A government media organisation should cater for all who fund it.
Old Oct 9th 2023, 9:34 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's getting close !! Can't wait to hear what Australia decides. When will the result be announced ?
Old Oct 9th 2023, 9:50 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's getting close !! Can't wait to hear what Australia decides. When will the result be announced ?
Because it is a binary vote, it's very likely they will know the result on Saturday night.

To be successful, a majority of voters AND a majority of states needs to vote yes.
Old Oct 14th 2023, 10:35 pm
me/moi

WELL DONE Australia !
Division of peoples rejected, as it should be.
Old Oct 15th 2023, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

WELL DONE Australia !
Rejected by indigenous too.

Last edited by Beoz; Oct 15th 2023 at 8:50 am.
Old Oct 15th 2023, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

WELL DONE Australia !
Do you know the percentage of the way the voters voted? I watched the news late last night but it was a short bulletin and did not mention the majority figure, the Prime Minister was shown and I thought his speech had a note of disappointment in it by the outcome, Canberra voted yes is that correct?
Old Oct 15th 2023, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by brits1
Do you know the percentage of the way the voters voted? I watched the news late last night but it was a short bulletin and did not mention the majority figure, the Prime Minister was shown and I thought his speech had a note of disappointment in it by the outcome, Canberra voted yes is that correct?
Canberra yes, but the rest of the country was about 60% no - and no other state or territory was a yes.

There were obviously some electorates that voted yes - this probably gives a good overview - https://www.abc.net.au/news/election...e=sa&party=all

And contrary to the post by Beoz, it does seem Indigenous communities voted yes - https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ly%20is%20from.
Old Oct 15th 2023, 8:41 am
me/moi

From what I can deduce The Voice would be a massive distraction to the political process in Australia, it was ill conceived, it was a trojan horse policy to bring in special rights, reparations, and other policies that would divide the society for decades to come. Aboriginal rights and programs can be expanded through the existing legislative process, and participation by aboriginals is already established. Perhaps the silver lining in the cloud of The Voice iniative is that it's a reminder that more needs to be done to support legacy aboriginal communities and address their issues with greater urgency.
Old Oct 15th 2023, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles

And contrary to the post by Beoz, it does seem Indigenous communities voted yes - https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ly%20is%20from.
As I said, indigenous voted No. What proportion exactly will remain a mystery.

And this in itself was a major problem for the Yes campaign. The indigenous could not collectively agree on a position.

Last edited by Beoz; Oct 15th 2023 at 10:50 am.
Old Oct 15th 2023, 11:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Originally Posted by Beoz
As I said, indigenous voted No. What proportion exactly will remain a mystery.
Originally Posted by link above
Regions with a high proportion of Indigenous Australians overwhelmingly voted yes in the referendum – including the community where prominent no campaigner Jacinta Nampijinpa Price’s family is from.

The yes vote in polling catchments where Indigenous Australians formed more than 50% of the population was, on average, 63% in favour
Old Oct 15th 2023, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From what I can deduce The Voice would be a massive distraction to the political process in Australia, it was ill conceived, it was a trojan horse policy to bring in special rights, reparations, and other policies that would divide the society for decades to come. Aboriginal rights and programs can be expanded through the existing legislative process, and participation by aboriginals is already established. Perhaps the silver lining in the cloud of The Voice iniative is that it's a reminder that more needs to be done to support legacy aboriginal communities and address their issues with greater urgency.
It was a big distraction. When polled, cost of living was at the top and The Voice was way down the list. However, Albo did promise the referendum in his election campaign so he had to honour it and politically chose to risk defeat earlier on in his tenure rather than closer to the next election.
Old Oct 16th 2023, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

scotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nicescotty9000 is just really nice

It's interesting that South Australia State Government recently legislated for a Voice to the State Parliament.
The big No vote in SA shows that they were not really representing their constituents views.
A concise & specific example of how arrogant metropolitan progressive elites subvert the democratic process if they are able.
Old Oct 16th 2023, 11:14 pm
me/moi

It's interesting that South Australia State Government recently legislated for a Voice to the State Parliament.
The big No vote in SA shows that they were not really representing their constituents views.
A concise & specific example of how arrogant metropolitan progressive elites subvert the democratic process if they are able.
Does that mean there will be an iniative to remove the SA Voice ? Is there a name for psuedo aboriginals in Australia, you know those with 1/16th or 1/32nd aboriginal ancestry that bang on about "their people" and assume the rest of the public are racist. I've seen a few on Sky but don't know their names.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.