Why Not Europe?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why Not Europe?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If your so keen to see the back of us all, start your own political party with a Brits out theme... see how you get on. Muppet.
Thats what I love about the Brits - their happy go lucky carefree live and let live attitude.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:28 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you read more of the guys posts since he came back to Australia before you start trying to lecture me.
I've noticed the same pattern.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:30 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinH
Thats what I love about the Brits - their happy go lucky carefree live and let live attitude.
Same response I gave to Amazulu....

I suggest you read more of the guys posts since he came back to Australia before you start trying to lecture me
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulry
I've noticed the same pattern.
I don't know what's got into him... Redneck Reinforcement Powder in the Adelaide water?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you read more of the guys posts since he came back to Australia before you start trying to lecture me.
Easy Turbo, I'm not lecturing just want to know why you need to throw insults over a post that was not even directed at/mentioned you.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to the question.......

We went to Vancouver in 1996 on holiday and decided to emigrate there as an adventure because we liked it.

Then I got offered a job in Singapore so we moved here in February 1997.

Since Oz is relatively near, visited many times and loved it, especially Perth.

So we'll move there at the end of 2010.

If we'd had that "at home" feeling somewhere else, then I guess we'd be going there.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alfresco
What were your reasons for moving to Oz and not somewhere in Europe? (no racism please)

Wifey and I have discussed this a lot and it boiled down to:-

1. Language barrier (primarily).
2. Vastly different culture which would take a lot and a long time to adapt to.
3. Kids not coping with such a different cultural lifestyle in their formative years (disruptive).

If we could have found an English speaking (warmish) EU country, we would have considered it seriously.
I was surprised by how different the culture is here - considering both are english speaking, I don't think that Australia and the UK are that similar at all - it came as quite a surprise
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:59 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Wjy do you need to get personal?
lamtheCreaturefromuranus gets personal with everyone, l'd hate to ever go to the planet Uranus if they are all like him over there.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:01 am
Just Joined

julie37 is just really nicejulie37 is just really nicejulie37 is just really nicejulie37 is just really nicejulie37 is just really nicejulie37 is just really nicejulie37 is just really nicejulie37 is just really nice
Smile Re: Why Not Europe?

What were your reasons for moving to Oz and not somewhere in Europe? (no racism please)

3. Kids not coping with such a different cultural lifestyle in their formative years (disruptive).

If we could have found an English speaking (warmish) EU country, we would have considered it seriously.
Hi we live in northern France,we have 3 girls they were 6,4 and 18 months when we moved here that was 4 years ago now.They all speak french really well.But we made the mistake of getting to know to many english speakers here so our french has suffered.We don't regret moving here but wish we had taken more time over choosing the area,would like to be a bit warmer!! It is a very different lifestyle for the children so much slower than the uk they get to be kids longer.hope this helps some.(we are now trying for Oz)
julie
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

If the Iberian Peninsula spoke English as their native language then Australia would be roughly a million Brits short of its current contingent.
Yep, that I can believe. We considered Spain and Portugal for the climate, but it came across as more of a retirement type of lifestyle which is not where we're at just yet.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
I was surprised by how different the culture is here - considering both are english speaking, I don't think that Australia and the UK are that similar at all - it came as quite a surprise

Well then in that case, that's good news. I don't really want it to feel too samey as the UK (which is absolutely fine btw), but we're looking forward to a refreshing change and hope it pans out that way.

Originally Posted by Family of 3
In answer to the question.......

We went to Vancouver in 1996 on holiday and decided to emigrate there as an adventure because we liked it.

Then I got offered a job in Singapore so we moved here in February 1997.

Since Oz is relatively near, visited many times and loved it, especially Perth.

So we'll move there at the end of 2010.

If we'd had that "at home" feeling somewhere else, then I guess we'd be going there.
If it clicks and feels right, then that's good. good luck with the move.

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 23rd 2010 at 8:25 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:23 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Easy Turbo, I'm not lecturing just want to know why you need to throw insults over a post that was not even directed at/mentioned you.
Damn straight, dump valve.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mohogony
lamtheCreaturefromuranus gets personal with everyone, l'd hate to ever go to the planet Uranus if they are all like him over there.
So you want to play then??

You're the guy who spends all his time running down the UK... and yet have never actually been there... how does that work for you then?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:26 am
Not so new ;-)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO the language is not such a barrier - both me and the missus are currently learning to speak French. Why? Coz we have both always wanted to! It's actually not that hard with a little perseverance and we imagine it would be so much easier if we actually mixed with native French speakers as well!

As for the culture shock - we felt that the different culture in Oz was much more obvious than we had imagined and takes a lot of ghetting used to just as if you were migrating to Europe.

As for kids, depending on their age, they generally do very well when moving to a European non-English speaking country. They integrate very quickly (brains like sponges remember) and generally get extra language tuition from their schools. They also have the added bonus of their new friends seeing them as a bit of a novelty and actually 'enjoying' correcting their language errors!

I hear the South of France is very nice at this time of the year!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:28 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

So you want to play then??

You're the guy who spends all his time running down the UK... and yet have never actually been there... how does that work for you then?
Yeah, sock cooker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.