Why Not Europe?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Question Why Not Europe?

What were your reasons for moving to Oz and not somewhere in Europe? (no racism please)

Wifey and I have discussed this a lot and it boiled down to:-

1. Language barrier (primarily).
2. Vastly different culture which would take a lot and a long time to adapt to.
3. Kids not coping with such a different cultural lifestyle in their formative years (disruptive).

If we could have found an English speaking (warmish) EU country, we would have considered it seriously.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:04 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Not Europe?

We considered Italy but language is a huge barrier that could stop you ever integrating into society. We felt that moving to a English speaking country was the way forward as we could concentrate on the numerous challenges ahead of us without the obvious problem of not being able to speak to anyone.

Of all the English speaking countries that I would consider moving too, Australia was by far the easiest to gain residency in.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:34 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is an Aussie ... the only European country I would consider living in (including England, my country of birth) is Ireland.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alfresco
What were your reasons for moving to Oz and not somewhere in Europe? (no racism please)

3. Kids not coping with such a different cultural lifestyle in their formative years (disruptive).

If we could have found an English speaking (warmish) EU country, we would have considered it seriously.
Well as I said on other threads - I dreamed for years of living in Australia but when we finally made the move (in 2008) it just wasn't what we expected or dreamed off.

We left the UK in 1999 and have been living in Germany since then. We stayed in Australia less than a year and came back. We love it here.

Language is less of a barrier than some would think (depending on what work you do) and kids will adapt very very quickly. We threw our into German school (if memory serves me right) at ages 10 and 6. Within 2 months they had adapted and within 6 months were completely fluent. It will be a huge advantage to them later in life.

Culture is not necessarily different (certainly not in Northern Europe - Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia).

The most difficult thing for expats is usually not the husband or the kids - it is the wives (I am assuming here a "traditional" family).

The problem with Australia is that apart from the sunshine it has many of the traits of England. So depending on why you want to leave the UK you may not like it.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

If the Iberian Peninsula spoke English as their native language then Australia would be roughly a million Brits short of its current contingent.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Our first choice was Cyprus. We love the place, the way of life & the culture. Yes there is the language issue & Greek is a difficult one to learn (hubby did a college course for a while) but most people do speak English there. We would have sent the kids to a local school & not an English one so that they could learn the language properly (much easier at a young age). I don't see the point in emigrating somewhere to live in a 'little Britain' which to me defeats the object somewhat of emigrating & moving away from the UK. It's not just for a better climate but that does help.

Cyprus however wasn't financially feasible as the cost of living there is so high now & the wages are really naff. It's a lot worse since they joined Europe & now have the Euro - huge mistake in my opinion. There is no way we could have managed to raise 2 children out there even if we worked 24 hours a day each, just not possible. So it's Oz for us instead now

Alison x
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think point number 2 is the main one. 1 and 3 are easily overcome (I'd see 3 as a positive for the child).

Although some cultural differences are positive changes others are not.

I know people often say Aus is a different culture to the UK but I've found the differences to be minor. To me, the cultural differences of Aus and UK is less than the UK and ROI.

I reckon the European countries most suited to the UK temperament are the northern ones which are unfortunately the colder ones.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:40 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I would have considered Ireland, the Netherlands or Cyprus. But only if my kids were younger so that they could naturally learn the language, culture, etc.

Further afield: Malaysia was an option for us but I find that two-three weeks at a time emersed in the local culture there is about as much as I can cope with. Singapore feels way too oppressive.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:54 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

Language and Cultural differences would give some spice to life for many and as for it being disruptive to kids, it might well be a broadening of their horizon too.
Spain, Greece or Malta would all be worth a look if I was EU eligible.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:46 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

we have lived in Italy, Germany, Belgium and Holland so Australia was something completely different
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Why Not Europe?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If the Iberian Peninsula spoke English as their native language then Australia would be roughly a million Brits short of its current contingent.
Now there's a thought.

How soon can we start sending ESL teachers to the Iberian Peninsula?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Now there's a thought.

How soon can we start sending ESL teachers to the Iberian Peninsula?
If your so keen to see the back of us all, start your own political party with a Brits out theme... see how you get on. Muppet.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:17 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

If your so keen to see the back of us all, start your own political party with a Brits out theme... see how you get on. Muppet.
Or make marrying Brits illegal
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Muppet.
Wjy do you need to get personal?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Wjy do you need to get personal?
I suggest you read more of the guys posts since he came back to Australia before you start trying to lecture me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.