Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why I'd use a car broker over a car dealership

Why I'd use a car broker over a car dealership

Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why I'd use a car broker over a car dealership

Just for information of my experience of using a car broker. I can highly recommend the whole thing over dealng with the sharks commonly known as main dealers when buying a car.

List price of a Nissan Pathfinder ST-L inc all on road fees new $57,600

I went to a dealer to try to find a good price. Despite spending an hour trying to get a firm price from them they wouldn't really give me one! I kid you not. It was like pulling teeth. Eventually they wanted to give me $24k for my trade in and knock off $4,000. Change over price in total $29,600

Experience when dealing with the main dealers : I'd rather haggle in an arab bazaar.

So the car broker. Phone call and he comes out to value to value my trade in personally that afternoon. Very professional and not pressuring or slimy. Gets back to me within 24 hours. $51,600 drive away including H/D tow bar, mats etc. Trade in at $26,000. Delivery will be the following week and we can drive the vehicle to you to change it over should you wish or your welcome to come to the office.

Change over price : $25,600

Obviously a no brainer. Accepted the offer. He comes round that evening on the way home, gets the contract signed, pay the deposit, gets a few more details about the trade in. See you next week with your new car.

Experience when dealing with the broker : I would never, ever step foot in a car dealers again with the exeption of some servicing and to test drive a new car so I can get the car broker to run around for me and buy it.

I know that many people arrive here and then the first port of call is to buy a car. Do yourself a favour. Use a car broker (mine was www.carsearch.com.au but there are others) and if you makes you feel any better get a couple of prices fist from dealers. Save yourself a few grand.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:33 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I'd use a car broker over a car dealership

Will bear this in mind. Our new neighbour from next Thursday is a car broker, and I plan on upgrading wifes 2006 Pathfinder, to different model.

So will see what offers we get.

She has eye on new Land Cruiser !!!! bloody women and their toys !!!

Incidentally that is spot on , for pricing , think we paid 55.5k

Ste
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:14 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Same sort of experience as mine... Local Nissan dealer messed me about chronic and offered $2.5k off list... car broker took about 4 hours to get $7.5k off... Like you I've no intention of going to one again for anything but a test drive and servicing...
Old Mar 15th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe people have $60 K to spend on a car!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:04 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Its relative. How much did you spend on your house ?
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Why not? Not everyone in Australia is on the bones of their arse and struggling.

Capitalism is great.

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 15th 2008 at 2:26 am.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Just for information of my experience of using a car broker. I can highly recommend the whole thing over dealng with the sharks commonly known as main dealers when buying a car.

List price of a Nissan Pathfinder ST-L inc all on road fees new $57,600

I went to a dealer to try to find a good price. Despite spending an hour trying to get a firm price from them they wouldn't really give me one! I kid you not. It was like pulling teeth. Eventually they wanted to give me $24k for my trade in and knock off $4,000. Change over price in total $29,600

Experience when dealing with the main dealers : I'd rather haggle in an arab bazaar.

So the car broker. Phone call and he comes out to value to value my trade in personally that afternoon. Very professional and not pressuring or slimy. Gets back to me within 24 hours. $51,600 drive away including H/D tow bar, mats etc. Trade in at $26,000. Delivery will be the following week and we can drive the vehicle to you to change it over should you wish or your welcome to come to the office.

Change over price : $25,600

Obviously a no brainer. Accepted the offer. He comes round that evening on the way home, gets the contract signed, pay the deposit, gets a few more details about the trade in. See you next week with your new car.

Experience when dealing with the broker : I would never, ever step foot in a car dealers again with the exeption of some servicing and to test drive a new car so I can get the car broker to run around for me and buy it.

I know that many people arrive here and then the first port of call is to buy a car. Do yourself a favour. Use a car broker (mine was www.carsearch.com.au but there are others) and if you makes you feel any better get a couple of prices fist from dealers. Save yourself a few grand.
Great post C. I'm also planning to use a broker later on this year when I get rid of the Golf. I used a broker in the UK and they were superb too.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 2:20 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why not? Not everyone in Australia is on the bones if their arse and struggling.

Capitalism is great.
Aye, knowing when to use capital letters will get you far
Old Mar 15th 2008, 8:09 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Aye, knowing when to use capital letters will get you far
And I thought it was an irrational hatred of Canberra.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Its relative. How much did you spend on your house ?
Spending money on your house is not the same as wasting 60K on a depreciating asset!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Why not? Not everyone in Australia is on the bones of their arse and struggling.

Capitalism is great.
Struggling and having more money than sense are two entirely different things.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

I have recently done both, a Mazda 3 at the dealership where i got about 3.5K off the price and then more recently a Nissan Pathfinder using a car broker where we got it for about 7k of the price ($46380 delivered with tow bar) having only had mutterings about getting the car at list price minus delivery and dealership charges. I must admit the car brokers work hard to please you and answer all your questions and i would certainly use them again.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:33 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Spending money on your house is not the same as wasting 60K on a depreciating asset!

Spending money on a house can also be seen as a waste.

It is easy to see that the stock market over time out performs the housing market, so why buy a house and pay huge interest when you can put your money into the stock market and catch the housing market up and after X years buy a house with no mortgage.

The lesson

Logic doesn't always come into it when people buy things that they like to have.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:42 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

maybe they have won the Lotto, or Just worked dam hard to have the nicer things in life
If you lived in a million dollar home wouldn't want a nice car to go with it?

P.S. Bought both cars from same dealer and got (imo) a great deal. But will have a look at car brokers next time

Last edited by Suni&Jay; Mar 18th 2008 at 4:44 am.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Struggling and having more money than sense are two entirely different things.
So, if someone spends $60k on a car and even though they can afford it, they have more money than sense?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.