Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why I love Summer in Australia.

Why I love Summer in Australia.

Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice
Default Re: Why I love Summer in Australia.

Because we do actually get a summer and it's long and hot (isn't that the reason most of us came out here in the first place) What's not to like?????

Love it love it love it love it

Bring it on
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackier
Because we do actually get a summer and it's long and hot (isn't that the reason most of us came out here in the first place) What's not to like?????

Bring it on
If I'd known how long and hot the summer was going to be I would never have got married and come here, I'd have made hom move north instead.
Whats not to like? The cyclones, floods, torrential rain...........I know there are thousands of people in Queensland dreading this summer.

I do like the storms though, they can be pretty spectacular!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jackier

Bring it on

I love love love it to........ even when I was stuck in the UK I kinda figured out that Oz was going to be hot in the sumer. can't understand why people are surprised about it...??? Anyway I love summer....

1) Love the smell of Jasmine in the garden
2) Love the lazy days spent at the pool, watching the kids play marco polo, buying the ice creams, eating the hot chips and then diving back into the pool afterwards... then leaving after being there all day long with tired but very happy kids and wanting to go back again tomorrow.
3) Love going for a walk in the early morning and watching the parrots flying
4) Love the glass of wine on the deck mid afternooon and a bbq on the go
5) Love the weekend break up the coast, driving up to the sunny coast, spotting the glasshouse mountains and the kids saying " are we there yet"
6) Just love love love the hot hot day, the afternoon storms...

Just love summer..
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
3) Women tend to wear less
aaah, tit monday. One of the great days of the annual calander.

http://www.titmonday.com/
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:21 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
like this you mean
Exactly not like that

Originally Posted by In Exile
aaah, tit monday. One of the great days of the annual calander.

http://www.titmonday.com/
A marvellous use of technology! No pics?!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:40 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
How mind numbingly boring
Yah.

Beach.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Agree on that one.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agree on that one.
thirded.

I'm just not designed for the beach. I have red hair and pale-ish skin.
Summer is when I kind of hibernate into air conditioning and shade, winter is when I'm out and about. Australia: Not the wisest of country choice for ginger people!

Even so, the optimum time for a visit to the beach is about 30 minutes in my experience. Then I start getting fidgety as there's not a lot to do. A pair of wrap around sunglasses with very dark lenses is MANDATORY. and not for the sun. see my earlier post.

Summertime for me, though, means loads of awesome scuba diving in and around Sydney.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

thirded.

Summer is when I kind of hibernate into air conditioning and shade, winter is when I'm out and about. Australia: Not the wisest of country choice for ginger people!

Not the wisest choice for the fair hair, fair skinned blue/green eyed people either.

You dont even have to sunbake, summer UV levels mean a walk to the car/washing line can be damaging.

Cringe every time I see newly arrived poms 'tanning' the kids. Same as giving them 20 cancer sticks a day to smoke.

Noticed last summer BOM was calling UV levels of 16!!!! some days.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Cringe every time I see newly arrived poms 'tanning' the kids. Same as giving them 20 cancer sticks a day to smoke.
an image of Australia that sticks with me was driving through Bondi on Christmas Day 2007/8 and seeing all of the drunk backpacker new-arrivals (I'll assume) from the night before asleep/passed out on the beach at about 11.45am

Some had gone a bit brown. Most were red and looked like blistered corned beef.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I pretty much don't love summer here, way too hot and humid up here. Spring is nice as is autumn.
Agree. Don't find summer much fun here at all. Winter has been great here in Perth this year barely a cold day at all.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:03 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

thirded.

Even so, the optimum time for a visit to the beach is about 30 minutes in my experience. Then I start getting fidgety as there's not a lot to do. A pair of wrap around sunglasses with very dark lenses is MANDATORY. and not for the sun. see my earlier post.

Summertime for me, though, means loads of awesome scuba diving in and around Sydney.

Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:09 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

thirded.
<snip>
Fourthed!

I am also fair-skinned and the appeal of sitting on a beach gradually accumulating sand where it shouldn't be doesn't appeal.

However, I do like a coastal walk with the sea air, the sound of surf and a sense of space out into the distance. I'll skip the beach thing.

In fact I skip it so much that my Aussie OH and the kid go off to Brunswick Heads to camp and swim in the surf just before Christmas for a week or so and it is the unwritten rule that I am quite happy to stay at home and leave them to it
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yehp I love the River as well and done a bit of camping in my time. Best place I've ever been and now the secret is out... Boundary Bend, Nr Swan Hill, where the Murray meets the Murrumbidgee river. A really big sandy beach to the waters edge and plenty of flat area and trees for campfires etc... go out of season and you will almost certainly get it to yourself.

How far east do you come ? Halls Gap etc ?
Tried to get in there at Easter but where the flood waters had gone through, the ground was still saturated so we couldn't get in. Where we did get through the poor river looked a little battered and bruised, lots of fallen trees!

We went in and out of various river camping points and ended up trying 4 or 5 before we set up camp!

We'll try again later this year.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Lying there all day every day I agree, but pop down for a couple of hours, catch some rays, read a book/paper, have a swim, lovely

Have fun sitting in front of your computer all day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.