Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do people migrate.

Wikiposts

Why exactly do people migrate.

Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

stevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the roughstevieuk123 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why exactly do people migrate.

Originally Posted by stevieuk123
We decided to move to give the kids a better future. I have just returned to Britain from Miami and opened my council tax bill, £200 a month on a 4 bed detached house! I read a newspaper story on holiday about satalites to be used to check if you have improved your house, so they can up your council tax. In 5 years they want to use sat nav to charge you per mile in your car. I wonder how we look to other nations. Its a massive move to OZ, and the employment situation is not easy, but it is a far better place to be. We have the worst government in Britain that I have ever known. Tax and waste! A war nobody wants or understands, a chancellor who has never stopped increasing taxes and massive uncontrolled immigration. we are governed by a bunch of con men! I dont see much hope in the opposition either. Its a brave move but good luck to anyone who has a go!

It has now been announced that from Monday a £15.00 tax surcharge will be added to all motoring fines, parking included to set up a new government department to employ people to look after the deprived. More spivs jobs, yet another tax!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:52 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why exactly do people migrate.

Think it is more like UK 20 yrs ago from child point of view, still quite protective of children and children still encouraged to have childhood and not be mini adults straight away.

Like you say plenty of land to move so you are not on top of the next door neighbour and can enjoy the country without the farmers owning all of it.

Originally Posted by NickyP
For us it was a combination of things:

Parents moved to the USA 5 years ago.
We had moved to Belgium for 3 years and got used to having more space so the idea of moving back to the UK really wasn't thrilling. We at best would afford a 3 bed semi which with 4 kids was a potential nightmare.
We realised after living in Belgium that language was a big issue, so didn't consider elsewhere in Europe.
Ian has very little choice with his job so when a job was offered here we took it.
Mostly though moving here has allowed us the sort of life that we would have gone pretty much anywhere for. The kids are relaxed and happy at school, I am able to do my teacher training course (so I'm not relaxed and happy ) and we will afford a house at the end of this that will be bigger than anything in the UK and possibly will have a bit of land. The space here is a big factor and when you couple that with the safety, compared to the UK, you are quite able to forget some of the downsides.
Financially we are in the same boat as the UK, wanting to buy a house with no deposit etc but what we will get at the end of it will be much more livable and I am at a stage in my life where I want to work again anyway.
The kids here do not grow up as quickly as they do in the UK (I mean in our particular area others may be different) and they do not have the peer pressures that they would have had. This was the same in Belgium so we knew what we wanted for them after that.
Yes we are a long way from family but we have made loads of new friends and are more than happy with our choice.
Good luck to anyone still heading through the process.
Nicky