Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why is everyone so serious ?

Why is everyone so serious ?

Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:59 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is everyone so serious ?

Don't know about a bed of roses? That would be quite painful I would have thought.

Anyhoo. Currently we have a field of daffodils.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:22 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
Don't know about a bed of roses? That would be quite painful I would have thought.

Anyhoo. Currently we have a field of daffodils.
......life sure aint gonna be one bed of daffodils either
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:23 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I do find these threads funny, people who dont live here telling us what's it's like. Also interesting that he talks about the UK not making anything but their manufacturing as a % of GDP is larger than Australia's and it is dropping rapidly here. No doubt that will be irrelevant ? Not enough jobs ? Have a look at the unemployment threads here and of course with manufacturing, retail and building suffering like it is then unemployment is likely to keep rising.
By all means look forward to a new start and I hope it gives you what you want but I have seen too many people come unstuck after making these sorts of comments.
Millions of people dont actually think the UK is a shithole or going down the toilet or whatever and many migrants return to the UK.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:35 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I do find these threads funny, people who dont live here telling us what's it's like. Also interesting that he talks about the UK not making anything but their manufacturing as a % of GDP is larger than Australia's and it is dropping rapidly here. No doubt that will be irrelevant ? Not enough jobs ? Have a look at the unemployment threads here and of course with manufacturing, retail and building suffering like it is then unemployment is likely to keep rising.
By all means look forward to a new start and I hope it gives you what you want but I have seen too many people come unstuck after making these sorts of comments.
Millions of people dont actually think the UK is a shithole or going down the toilet or whatever and many migrants return to the UK.
And many do.....and are glad to be in Aus.

There's no right no wrong, just a difference of opinion
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:53 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
......life sure aint gonna be one bed of daffodils either
Good job too. It would all be over by September.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

How I love the OP to visit Australia if he thinks there isn't any immigrants here, & how a lot of don't speak any English & they don't give shit either.
Amazing how new people to the forum thinks they know better than the people who have been living here for many years.

Last edited by chris and farideh; Aug 20th 2011 at 11:58 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Why is everyone so serious ?

Originally Posted by RossCountyLoyal
the Fosters adverts which quite frankly are one of the greatest adverts for Oz I have ever seen.
As an Australian, I find it deeply distressing that you consider the Fosters adverts "one of the greatest adverts for Oz I have ever seen."

Australia is not for everyone. If you have no compelling reason to go... don't. Australia won't necessarily change your life for the better; it's not a magic wheel that spins straw into gold.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rambi
Good job too. It would all be over by September.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
As an Australian, I find it deeply distressing that you consider the Fosters adverts "one of the greatest adverts for Oz I have ever seen."

I find it funny

can't wait till they realise koala's are not bears and kangaroo's don't jump all over the garden
Old Aug 21st 2011, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RossCountyLoyal
I have to wonder sometimes why I come into this forum. The threads are so serious and so discouraging. People going on about the high cost of living in Oz.....the crime rates getting worse in Perth..... the exchange rate....the house prices....the ozzie sense of humour not lining up with the UK sarcastic ways....skin cancer....blah blah blah

Let's face it. UK is a s------e, it has too many people many people in it, not enough jobs, doesn't make anything, should've introduced the IELTS test years ago, etc, etc. Even when things were going really well during the 90s and 00's the country was still so negative.

I am so lucky to have been given a visa to live in Oz, and so lucky to having the chance to live in a country that is proud of itself and has a positive future.

Why can't we have more threads on here about all the good things going on in Oz. Such as the Fosters adverts which quite frankly are one of the greatest adverts for Oz I have ever seen. "Fit"!!
I hope you enjoy the Fosters when you get here.

One place is no better than the other. It's just about what is right for you. For some it isn't Oz. If you are escaping the UK for perceived problems with immigration then you may well be disappointed with Australia.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 4:12 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it funny

can't wait till they realise koala's are not bears and kangaroo's don't jump all over the garden
And dont even get me started on the magpies, they are far more violent in Australia than in England, I was brutally attacked by 3 magpies swooping me when I was riding my bike last year.

They had leather jackets on and carried flick knives and tried to threaten me for bird seed, they 'rule the hood' and at least UK magpies didnt form gangs like they do here.

And what about the spiders, a nice fat hairy tree spider has nothing on a redback with hobnail boots and a bite to match, as for the cockroaches - I have heard you can fly on them to Asia for next to nothing.

Its a rough world out there.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 4:17 am
Rhino with a big horn!

What do you call and aardvark in a leather jacket?

A well aardvark.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not everyone agrees that the UK is that bad; many of us didn't come here to "escape" but for other reasons such as marriage - and for some of us it hasn't worked out as we hoped so you can't expect everyone to love the place!

Wait till you've lived here a while too before you judge the reasons why people post the way they do........... I remember the days when I thought life here would be great cos that's what people on here told me. I went back one day and traced my posting history, seems my opinions started to change before I'd been here 2 months. That's when I started to wish that I'd read more of the threads about the bad points, might have approached things a little more realistically then.
Agree. Fed up of people slagging off Britain because they need to justify their reasons for moving to Australia. I still think Britain is one of the best countries in the world. If I won the lottery I would move back in a heart beat. That doesn't mean to say I don't like like Australia. It's just I miss my family and want my son to grow up around his grandparents - something I never got a chance to do with my own grandparents.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by kips
Agree. Fed up of people slagging off Britain because they need to justify their reasons for moving to Australia. I still think Britain is one of the best countries in the world. If I won the lottery I would move back in a heart beat. That doesn't mean to say I don't like like Australia. It's just I miss my family and want my son to grow up around his grandparents - something I never got a chance to do with my own grandparents.
Maybe they are not justifying their reasons for moving to Australia but just stating their own opinion. I can't fathom why people take it so personally
Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they are not justifying their reasons for moving to Australia but just stating their own opinion. I can't fathom why people take it so personally
Agreed. I've long been of the opinion that people make a choice, have plans made, and hope they go right - there but for the grace of God..etc..and there are people who really do need a second chance in life, the UK one not being all they want it to be.

It could be that people who think it is all about justification are people who, generally voice a negative tone, and maybe want to justify *their*, in some cases exit from Australia...but I am not mean enough to assume this.

Of course, those who bless Australia and then have it all fall down around them have a right to feel sheepish...I wish them as much luck as anyone else who gets it right, or wrong, or somewhere in between!

I also say - that people turn up on these shores and do well and tell us all how to do it. Good luck to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.