Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why is everyone so serious ?

Why is everyone so serious ?

Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:36 pm
Banned

RossCountyLoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is everyone so serious ?

I have to wonder sometimes why I come into this forum. The threads are so serious and so discouraging. People going on about the high cost of living in Oz.....the crime rates getting worse in Perth..... the exchange rate....the house prices....the ozzie sense of humour not lining up with the UK sarcastic ways....skin cancer....blah blah blah

Let's face it. UK is a s------e, it has too many people many people in it, not enough jobs, doesn't make anything, should've introduced the IELTS test years ago, etc, etc. Even when things were going really well during the 90s and 00's the country was still so negative.

I am so lucky to have been given a visa to live in Oz, and so lucky to having the chance to live in a country that is proud of itself and has a positive future.

Why can't we have more threads on here about all the good things going on in Oz. Such as the Fosters adverts which quite frankly are one of the greatest adverts for Oz I have ever seen. "Fit"!!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:46 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is everyone so serious ?

Originally Posted by RossCountyLoyal
I have to wonder sometimes why I come into this forum. The threads are so serious and so discouraging. People going on about the high cost of living in Oz.....the crime rates getting worse in Perth..... the exchange rate....the house prices....the ozzie sense of humour not lining up with the UK sarcastic ways....skin cancer....blah blah blah

Let's face it. UK is a s------e, it has too many people many people in it, not enough jobs, doesn't make anything, should've introduced the IELTS test years ago, etc, etc. Even when things were going really well during the 90s and 00's the country was still so negative.

I am so lucky to have been given a visa to live in Oz, and so lucky to having the chance to live in a country that is proud of itself and has a positive future.

Why can't we have more threads on here about all the good things going on in Oz. Such as the Fosters adverts which quite frankly are one of the greatest adverts for Oz I have ever seen. "Fit"!!
You clearly have never lived in Perth. I love living in Perth and have lived here for 6 years. I wouldn't go back for all the Bisto in Tesco. However, it isn't utopia. It has horrific crime and the cost of living has gone up astronomically over the years. When you have actually lived here then you can post this sort of crap.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone agrees that the UK is that bad; many of us didn't come here to "escape" but for other reasons such as marriage - and for some of us it hasn't worked out as we hoped so you can't expect everyone to love the place!

Wait till you've lived here a while too before you judge the reasons why people post the way they do........... I remember the days when I thought life here would be great cos that's what people on here told me. I went back one day and traced my posting history, seems my opinions started to change before I'd been here 2 months. That's when I started to wish that I'd read more of the threads about the bad points, might have approached things a little more realistically then.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:19 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

There are positive posts. Lots of tongue in cheek ones as well.

Some are happy here, some aren't, some have a choice, others don't and can feel trapped. B.E. is partly a support network and if people need to rant, they can do so on here.

I like it here, have never been back to the UK, don't want to either but life here is no better or worse really, unless of course, it happens to suit you.

I'm one of the lucky ones, it suits me. I wonder how many poms live here and have never heard of B.E. and are perfectly happy or very miserable.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Debs hubby:

That blokes full of the same shit the looters feed on i think
Mate it's great here, as good as the UK if not better in some ways and each person on here or who lives here as different values and ideals of this lovely place.
But to come on here and say blah blah this blah blah that, just goes to show that people like you are here to stir the spoon you have lodged in your arse most of the time, stir away my friend.
Off for a midnight surf while drinking another stubby brown, not fosters it's tourist shite
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I have to wonder sometimes why I come into this forum.

Don't then. The posts you have made tonight contribute nothing. You have nothing relevant to say nor seemingly any knowledge about life in Aus these days. You may well consider yourself lucky to have a visa, I agree with that! By the intelligence you have shown in your posts you don't deserve it.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:56 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know what life is like here when you dont live here?

I love my life here but it is far from perfect, shitty things happen here just like they do in England.

If you think crime and bad things are just limited to the UK then you need to polish your rose tints.

And whilst you may be proud to have your visa which is fair enough, until you are actually living and working here, then you wont have a clue about how you will feel.

Everyone has their own problems that they deal with - wherever they may live and sometimes, just sometimes those problems are magnified due to personal circumstances, it doesnt mean that we dont like our lives or we are not grateful.

I will await with interest once you have moved out here, have had your bucket well and truly filled with 'shite', and you realise that it doesnt matter where you live, shit happens - life happens and it sure does not discriminate because you are in the rain or bloody sunshine.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:03 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Sad to say, but you'll find that a lot of people who live in this forum have an axe to grind about something. And when there is something negative, boy do they bang on about it ... empty vessels indeed!

You don't get to hear too much from those who are positive and get on with their lives. However, if someone isn't happy about something you're definitely going to hear about it.

I guess it's similar to readers submissions to the local newspapers - the very large majority are complaining about something, with only the odd one or two with a positive message.

Get whatever info you can get out of these forums, but it pays to learn a bit more about some contributors through their thread history before you take their message to heart.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:15 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

The 'happy' people are off enjoying their life, people on here (in the main) stil need support and are not 100% happy with their lot.

Me............well I'm just nosey

Good Luck with your move over,

Jan
Old Aug 20th 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

hey Ross - maaybe you're just noy in a happy mood today!! I'm new here & although I've read some of the "downers" some days & thought omg why would we want to swap a relatively easy life here for a new struggle- that's because people ask serious questions for which only the sometimes brutal truth will help- read some more of the above posters cos they're already my faves- I love Alistair's informative posts but also his dry wit- different threads/different moods- I call Polly lolPol cos she's hilarious- Evantell funny & irreverant- Dorothy can be serious when needed but she's got a cracking sense of humour!- & as for PPrincess- box of frogs comes to mind- if ever you need cheering up she's a scream!!! I love being on here & I hope they keep me company on my long wait- try the quiz too - have a laugh yourself
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of people on BE who are enjoying life in Australia. How have you missed that?
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:47 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

i really must thank BE for getting yet another "australian expert" to tell us how it really is

bravo that man
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:31 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

I get what the op is saying, with recent events the UK has become an even less appealing prospect for a long term future for those that have a ticket out, probably a perception thing but it seems very real, it certainly looks like being very grim for a few years to come.

Perhaps there are more negative posts on there that positive ones but i think thats because of some people using this as like social networking interface to find like minded disillusioned souls. Personally since my visa was granted I have barely been on here, it's a good source of information and I think thats really all i'll ever want from a forum, to help others and be helped. There is a firm clique on here that will probably make itself apparent that seem to take delight in deriding anybody that asks for positive input particularly if they haven't spent the past 5 years of their lives posting 50 times a day to get their BE credibility up when I look at the number of posts that some have built up I wonder how they find time for anything else.

Reread the Op's comments, just saying he thinks the UK is f@cked he's hardly alone - and if you are in Oz consider that you are probably looking back with rose tints on. He is looking forward to getting to Australia to start a new life - isn't that what we all wanted at least at some point? If you took all of the posts on here to heart you'd think you would have to be a mug to even think about coming to Australia. I like the recce and arrivals section, a source of endless positivity and optimism for the future thats where I prefer to be mentally and i recommend this section to the OP
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:33 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:51 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

If you think living in Aus is one big bed of roses you are in for a massive fall mate

A lot of us on here love Aus but we're not stupid to think everything is perfect and just like living anywhere, Aus has its faults. You also need to remember that the world is still suffering from the GFC and with that is the negativity of high cost of living which is likely to piss people off.

People are being realistic but that doesn't mean they all don't like living here

Good luck with the move mate, you're gonna need it

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
The 'happy' people are off enjoying their life, people on here (in the main) stil need support and are not 100% happy with their lot.
Me............well I'm just nosey

Good Luck with your move over,

Jan
A lot of people come on here for many reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with not being 100% happy with their lot or needing support

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.