Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone keep talking about football?

Why does everyone keep talking about football?

Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all
Default Why does everyone keep talking about football?

Is there a big match on or something?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:52 am
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Why does everyone keep talking about football?

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
Where's my noose .... It's goin' to be a bloody long month!:curse:
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't understand, you're Australian
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:29 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

The big matches are later, going on the England/Aus performances they are still practicing, apparently.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
you're Australian
No I'm not!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

So I take it there is something big going on then.

I hate football. And thank God, Mr BBB does too.

I have not read a paper in weeks and have not watched a TV for years.

But loads of people are driving around with little flags hanging off their cars and loads of people on forums keep mentioning it. And they are doing a special footy tips thingy at work. I don't understand how it works, so I ignore it and it ignores me.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:47 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

But loads of people are driving around with little flags hanging off their cars and loads of people on forums keep mentioning it. And they are doing a special footy tips thingy at work. I don't understand how it works, so I ignore it and it ignores me.
do you have the same philosophy on tax?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:08 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Had an interesting exchange of words with the (Aussie) missus last night (not that I have wives of other nationalities)...anyway, she was watching 60 minutes and they had a piece on the world cup. The presenter said something along the lines of "the biggest sporting event in the world". She asked me if that was true and I said yes and that it gets way more followers and people attending than the Olympics... then I followed this statement with... "and a big reason for this is down to one nation"

...she looked at me with a confused look and said "what does Pauline Hanson have to do with the World Cup?"
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Had an interesting exchange of words with the (Aussie) missus last night (not that I have wives of other nationalities)...anyway, she was watching 60 minutes and they had a piece on the world cup. The presenter said something along the lines of "the biggest sporting event in the world". She asked me if that was true and I said yes and that it gets way more followers and people attending than the Olympics... then I followed this statement with... "and a big reason for this is down to one nation"

...she looked at me with a confused look and said "what does Pauline Hanson have to do with the World Cup?"
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:44 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Who are you trying to kid? If you ignored it you wouldn't have taken the trouble to compose a whole thread now would you
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cresta57
Who are you trying to kid? If you ignored it you wouldn't have taken the trouble to compose a whole thread now would you

I was talking about footie tipping - not the game itself.

I know what happens in football - a lot of hairy grossly overpaid men run around a field kicking a ball. Sometimes if they are lucky they can kick it into the net and then they all kiss each other and grab each others goolies. Or as the case that happened several years ago, they insert their fingers up each others bottoms.

Its footy tipping at the work social club that I don’t understand.

Very easy to ignore football when you don't read the sports pages and don't have a TV.

Mr BBB has now told me that the World Cup is on in South Africa - which explains why everywhere I go people are droning on about football none stop and every time I go to the bottle shop they try to give me a flag.

Hopefully the ruddy thing will finish soon. And we can get back to more intresting conversation, like ear wax or something.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:50 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Dont worry Australia will forget all about the existence of the world cup in a weeks time once their team is unceremoniously dumped as 'the biggest losers' of the tournament as seems increasingly likely.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:38 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Go back and tend to yer veggie patch,yer commune awaits
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking about footie tipping - not the game itself.

I know what happens in football - a lot of hairy grossly overpaid men run around a field kicking a ball. Sometimes if they are lucky they can kick it into the net and then they all kiss each other and grab each others goolies. Or as the case that happened several years ago, they insert their fingers up each others bottoms.

Its footy tipping at the work social club that I don’t understand.

Very easy to ignore football when you don't read the sports pages and don't have a TV.

Mr BBB has now told me that the World Cup is on in South Africa - which explains why everywhere I go people are droning on about football none stop and every time I go to the bottle shop they try to give me a flag.

Hopefully the ruddy thing will finish soon. And we can get back to more intresting conversation, like ear wax or something.
Looks like you're levelling the accusation against all codes. I like that. I really do. Karma for you..
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Dont worry Australia will forget all about the existence of the world cup in a weeks time once their team is unceremoniously dumped as 'the biggest losers' of the tournament as seems increasingly likely.

It will go alonge the lines of "World Cup, what World Cup"

Barney