Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Wikiposts

Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Or the Olympics
Haha, guilty as accused your honour.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:23 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
Loads would. Me included and I know every bloke and woman in the fire brigade and SES who could would go too.

If you can't honestly take the oath of citizenship then you shouldn't take it, it makes you a liar and it is highly disingenuous.
I agree with you Renth.

IMHO if you are asked to swear an oath of allegiance, it says more about you as a person if you take that oath on a lie when you have no intention of honouring it.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
I agree with you Renth.

IMHO if you are asked to swear an oath of allegiance, it says more about you as a person if you take that oath on a lie when you have no intention of honouring it.
Wow, I wish my life was so black and white.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:37 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Reading another thread I think yours is more red and white
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
Reading another thread I think yours is more red and white
Yep with some bubbles in between How's your no drinking stint going? Have you recovered from your flu yet NB?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:42 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Yep with some bubbles in between How's your no drinking stint going? Have you recovered from your flu yet NB?
Yeah 3 weeks now without a drink in the week and only a couple of glasses on Friday and Saturday. Feel better for it. Flu gone now too thank goodness. Glad to see you seem a bit brighter of late too.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
Yeah 3 weeks now without a drink in the week and only a couple of glasses on Friday and Saturday. Feel better for it. Flu gone now too thank goodness. Glad to see you seem a bit brighter of late too.
Thanks NB

Goodness, well done on the booze front; I'm impressed. I drank very little for a couple of months earlier this year. Once you get into the swing of it and realise the benefits you find yourself wondering why you bother drinking at all, it's just a habit of an evening really.

Last edited by rabsody; Sep 3rd 2008 at 7:49 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
B... (did women have the vote in 1914?) ...
In Aus: Yes.
In UK: No.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:06 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

In coming to Australia, I have found a place to live in which I feel totally comfortable, and 'at home'.

The natural progression, in my mind, was to become a citizen to be fully part of this country. I have no intention of living anywhere else in the foreseeable future.

Whether I am better off by becoming a citizen may be debatable, but I feel better for having made the commitment. If I would have had to give up my British passport, then I would have, and when it expires I have no intention of renewing it. Saying that I can't be arsed to write to the Secretary of State renouncing my British citizenship, although the thought has crossed my mind.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:07 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Nor is mine, or anyones on this board i would guess. To make a promise or take an oath when one has no intention of following through or keeping that promise is just wrong IMHO.

Would you teach your children that it is acceptable behaviour to make promises they have no intention of keeping?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nor is mine, or anyones on this board i would guess. To make a promise or take an oath when one has no intention of following through or keeping that promise is just wrong IMHO.

Would you teach your children that it is acceptable behaviour to make promises they have no intention of keeping?
Look, I'm not going to keep arguing about it. You don't know my circumstances and I don't feel the need to justify my actions frankly.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

I would rather be back at home with my kids but seeing as that's not possible, I am here and a citizen with my kids. My allegiance is to my children, not Australia.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:31 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The pledge:

I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its People,
whose democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect, and
whose laws I will uphold and obey.

I'm not sure how what anyone is saying is breaking that pledge. It doesn't say, I pledge my loyalty to Australia excluding all others.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
The pledge:

I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its People,
whose democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect, and
whose laws I will uphold and obey.

I'm not sure how what anyone is saying is breaking that pledge. It doesn't say, I pledge my loyalty to Australia excluding all others.
Well I do agree to all that!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:39 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well I do agree to all that!
Exactly, who doesn't?? It's common sense. So I can't see what people are supposedly doing wrong.

Now if I had to sing that f-ing channel 9 'We love you Queensland' jingle at the ceremony...that would be a different matter!

Last edited by bcworld; Sep 3rd 2008 at 9:41 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
Exactly, who doesn't?? It's common sense. So I can't see what people are supposedly doing wrong.

Now if I had to sing that f-ing channel 9 'We love you Queensland' jingle at the ceremony...that would be a different matter!
Thank you - a voice of reason!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.