Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Wikiposts

Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
I hear you, I would never give up my german passport either and fortunately I dont have to.
Found this...

"4. Loss of German citizenship
Please note that a German who is naturalized abroad (e.g. in Australia) loses his/her
German citizenship automatically through that naturalization. Entering Australian (or other
foreign) armed forces also leads generally to automatic loss of German citizenship.
However, it is possible to retain German citizenship by applying for a special authorization
(“Beibehaltungsgenehmigung”) – if the permission to retain German citizenship is granted, a
foreign nationality may then be acquired without losing the German citizenship.
For further information please contact the Embassy."

http://www.germanembassy.org.au/en/i...ship%20Law.pdf

Are you going for Beibehaltungsgenehmigung then?

Last edited by renth; Sep 2nd 2008 at 7:23 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:38 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
Hi all,

I constantly hear from people that they became citizens because "it just makes it easier" or because "its just convenient"

Im a few years away from becoming a citizen but I dont want to do it because it makes it easier etc. I want to become an australian citizen because Im in love with this country and nothing would make me prouder than being an australian. I have been here for a long time so this is the ultimate goal.

What about YOU ?
If you come here on a permanent residents visa you are inferring you intend to stay, so you may as well go the whole hog and get Citizenship.

You didn't have to do the quiz if you got it over with before it started.

You have the opportunity to have it and if you intend to stay here why not have it when you can.

You've put in your time so can have dual nationality with minimal fuss and no more visa renewing.

It's less hassle for the kids when they go job hunting especially for forces or government jobs.

One less box to tick on the forms.

You don't lose anything by getting it but as others have said you do gain the right to lots of things.

You don't get branded so nobody knows if you don't chose to tell them and you can still say you are English or what ever you chose to be.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Needed it to do the job I was doing when they changed the rules about status.
WHich is probably the reason I will end up doing it.
The only other reason I will consider it is if I feel I can honestly swear allegiance to Australia - and at the moment I can't do that.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:00 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Are you going for Beibehaltungsgenehmigung then?
Getting one of those isn't so easy. Rubbeldiekatz will need to meet the conditions:
http://www.bva.bund.de/cln_115/nn_38...behaltung.html

Scroll down to read the conditions.

Gina
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
WHich is probably the reason I will end up doing it.
The only other reason I will consider it is if I feel I can honestly swear allegiance to Australia - and at the moment I can't do that.
No, I must admit I did feel a bit of a hypocrite.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Since Australia is now my home I feel it's in my best interest to become a citizen. I would like to be able to vote and have a say in things, to be able to apply for commonwealth government jobs and also have the convenience of holding an Aussie passport for when I travel. My daughter is also considering a military career, so it's easier to just get it done now rather than waiting and having to have her do it on her own later.

Besides, my son is a little shit who's gonna get himself deported at a later stage if he's not a citizen, so better get it done before DIAC discovers what a little shit disturber he is.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 11:23 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I did it because I chose Australia as the place I wanted to be and be part of the country. Luckily have never had to make the choice of having to renounce being a British subject (Brits aren't citizens) but I think i would have done had I had to. That wouldn't have meant I would or could have ignored my roots.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
No, I must admit I did feel a bit of a hypocrite.
Expediency rules when it comes to individuals and countries as far as I'm concerned.

I'm long past all of the patriotism/allegiance/loyalty bit. Nations get their pound of flesh from citizens and citizens (try and) get their pound of flesh from countries.

Allegiance/loyalty/patrotism is anachronistic, belongs in the 19th Century and is often used as a PR/marketing exercise by the taxation authorities.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my Australian Citizenship a bit more than 30 years, I've lived here longer than anywhere else and consider myself an Australian, the UK is now a foreign country to me, I did visit it often but for many years have never felt at home there, it is unlikely that I will visit again unless they get the airports sorted out.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

It was a commitment to do the full emigration thing. Amplified by the fact we've had two kids while we are here. So if the kids are Aussies, we had bloody well better be Aussies too.

JTL
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Expediency rules when it comes to individuals and countries as far as I'm concerned.

I'm long past all of the patriotism/allegiance/loyalty bit. Nations get their pound of flesh from citizens and citizens (try and) get their pound of flesh from countries.

Allegiance/loyalty/patrotism is anachronistic, belongs in the 19th Century and is often used as a PR/marketing exercise by the taxation authorities.
Citizens? Surely you mean "economic units"?!

I agree with what you say - the only bit I felt hypocritical about was when it came to the pledge, allegiance to the country or whatever it was, because I didn't believe what I was saying.

p.s. thanks, I learnt a new word - anachronistic
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:40 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what you say - the only bit I felt hypocritical about was when it came to the pledge, allegiance to the country or whatever it was, because I didn't believe what I was saying.
As the oath/pledge is a legal matter, I take it you've just admitted to perjury. It is no longer a requirement to be a citizen. I wonder if it nullifies said contract?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EvannTel
As the oath/pledge is a legal matter, I take it you've just admitted to perjury. It is no longer a requirement to be a citizen. I wonder if it nullifies said contract?
Probably Great, if they want to kick me out they'll have to let me take my kids with me.

p.s. I don't have "allegiance" to any country in my book, only to myself and my loved ones. Allegiance to me means would you be prepared to defend your country in war and the answer is no I wouldn't ... not Australia or the UK.

Last edited by rabsody; Sep 3rd 2008 at 1:50 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:57 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Probably Great, if they want to kick me out they'll have to let me take my kids with me.

p.s. I don't have "allegiance" to any country in my book, only to myself and my loved ones. Allegiance to me means would you be prepared to defend your country in war and the answer is no I wouldn't ... not Australia or the UK.
No offence, but I find it quite shocking that anyone is willing to live in a country, among it's people and avail themselves of everything that the country offers, yet not be willing to defend it in a time of war. It is not the country per se, that you defend, it is its' people and it's way of life.

Just my opinion of course....
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:04 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Since Australia is now my home I feel it's in my best interest to become a citizen. I would like to be able to vote and have a say in things, to be able to apply for commonwealth government jobs and also have the convenience of holding an Aussie passport for when I travel. My daughter is also considering a military career, so it's easier to just get it done now rather than waiting and having to have her do it on her own later.

Besides, my son is a little shit who's gonna get himself deported at a later stage if he's not a citizen, so better get it done before DIAC discovers what a little shit disturber he is.
What has he been up to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.