Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Wikiposts

Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you want to (or did) become a citizen ?

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
Well now if you had read what I had said, or maybe you have and have chosen to misquote me? What I actually said was in relation to a society lacking moral fibre and integrity and, yes of course, you. Would the fact that you lack these traits cause a society to decline? Of course not, but I suppose you think it helps your arguement if it looks as if I said that.

Of course it is. That it takes me 3 hours to get a pint ot milk...

In my original point, which I believe I have stated a number of times now and it's getting boring repeating it, I stated that it was wrong, IMHO, for anyone to knowingly swear an Oath of Alegiance to any country when they have no intention of upholding that oath or keeping that promise. How does that differ in a mixed marriage? Does being in a mixed marriage mean that you no longer have to keep your promises or uphoald any Oath you have taken, or have any degree of integrity?

I don't believe I have ever stated that to be loyal to one country means you have to forget where you come from? If I have kindly show me where?
Yes in an extreme situation where both countries were at war then you would have a very tough choice to make, but then in my eyes I have made that choice when I choose to Swear that Oath of Alegiance to, my now, home country.

Just because you think that it is fine to lack integrity does not mean that everyone else thinks so, or that it is right to do so.
I started this reply with a line which went something along the lines of you being pretty keen at picking out mis-quotes and incorrect inferences in the posts of others but failing to see your own. I then intended to take it through glasshouses, stones, a mis-placed sense of moral superiority, dual citizenship, a failure to understand the relevance of an oath of allegiance and how this might cause other moral difficulties when one partner is a citizen and the other isn't and end with a little twirl around small-mindedness dressed up as integrity.

But life is short. So, you really enjoy your oath of allegiance, take a full part with full-meaning, enjoy the view from the high ground and I'll carry on meandering down the path of expediency and family first.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

My time served (or anyones for that matter) in two branches of the UK Armed Forces or lack of it has no bearing in this discussion .
Should have guessed.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:41 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

<snip - as I got half way through then got bored - again>
If having integerity is taking the moral high ground, I'm happy to take it.

Should have guessed.
Really couldn't care less what you mean by this other than to re-quote some of this from John Stuart Mill:

".......is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mean by this other than to re-quote some of this from John Stuart Mill:

".......is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

No surprise that a military man would quote John Stuart Mill.

And also little surprise that justification would be sought from a 19th Century philospher.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:37 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If having integerity is taking the moral high ground, I'm happy to take it.
I still can't for the life of me work out how anyone who has posted in this thread lacks integrity. You seem to be a fan of blind unquestioning patriotism at all costs. Reminds me of some bimbo I saw being interviewed prior to the last US election.....

"like, we should like, support our president, no matter what he does"

....ordinary born & bred dinky di true blue Aussies are permitted to dissent, you seem to think conferred citizens should be treated differently - that is contrary to the ideals of Australian citizenship.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld

....ordinary born & bred dinky di true blue Aussies are permitted to dissent, you seem to think conferred citizens should be treated differently - that is contrary to the ideals of Australian citizenship.
I think he assumes that I lack integrity because I would swear the oath but wouldn't defend the nation blindly.

Your last point is interesting. There is something deliciously ironic in that British migrants who are born in the UK are considered (or consider themselves) to be loyal servants of Britain and yet they are quiite happy to dump the country at the drop of a hat.

It's funny but those that bleat about allegiance, loyalty, integrity, the swearing of oaths and selfless actions would wave goodbye to England for the self-serving desires of living in a sunny climate or earning a bit more money.

But no doubt this is irrelevant because it's the swearing of the oath that matters!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:28 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
I still can't for the life of me work out how anyone who has posted in this thread lacks integrity. You seem to be a fan of blind unquestioning patriotism at all costs. Reminds me of some bimbo I saw being interviewed prior to the last US election.....

"like, we should like, support our president, no matter what he does"

I think he assumes that I lack integrity because I would swear the oath but wouldn't defend the nation blindly.

Your last point is interesting. There is something deliciously ironic in that British migrants who are born in the UK are considered (or consider themselves) to be loyal servants of Britain and yet they are quiite happy to dump the country at the drop of a hat.

It's funny but those that bleat about allegiance, loyalty, integrity, the swearing of oaths and selfless actions would wave goodbye to England for the self-serving desires of living in a sunny climate or earning a bit more money.

But no doubt this is irrelevant because it's the swearing of the oath that matters!
I'll leave you all with one last thought....

Old Sep 7th 2008, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

I find it amusing that people put so much emphasis on citizenship. It is even funnier when they make you do tests that the majority of natural born citizens couldn't pass! Citizenship is nothing more than a document of convenience in this age of globalisation. I wouldn't go to war for any of the countries I'm a citizen of.