Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why do i feel like this

Wikiposts

Why do i feel like this

Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do i feel like this

Originally Posted by Ransi
It was a simple question.... do you call the UK home.

A yes or no answer.
Do I still call UK home - yes.

Lived here for 28 years and still call it home? yes. Do I talk about going back home? yes. When I am in UK do I talk about going home? no, I talk about going back.

Sorry, be as judgemental as you like but that is the way it is for me. For the past 28 years I have felt like I lived in limbo - at home in a house which is in a country which is not my home and, quite frankly, becomes more alien with each passing day. I have raised two good Aussie sons, paid substantial Aussie taxes and hopefully helped a number of good Aussie kids through my job. I have an Aussie passport but would give it away tomorrow if I could go back home to live. Our eldest son has chosen to stay in UK as his career prospects are better there but he has said on several occasions that if his career demanded that he hand in his Aussie passport then that would be a deal breaker.

I have an Aussie husband that I really dont want to trade in after nearly 35 years and now I have an Aussie granddaughter who lives 4 hours away so going home isnt really going to be an option.

I am intrigued though why, if people are as settled and Aussie as they would like to make out, they come to an expat board? I only found this board a few months ago - a link from a totally different board about a non expat issue you were all talking about - and in all the time I have been here have never sought out other expats or even given any thought to the fact that there might be an expat board at all!!! I can understand people wanting to come to Aus seeking support but once you are here, why not get out and about and get into life as she is lived here!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

I am intrigued though why, if people are as settled and Aussie as they would like to make out, they come to an expat board? I only found this board a few months ago - a link from a totally different board about a non expat issue you were all talking about - and in all the time I have been here have never sought out other expats or even given any thought to the fact that there might be an expat board at all!!! I can understand people wanting to come to Aus seeking support but once you are here, why not get out and about and get into life as she is lived here!

Because most of us have been members of the site before our visa's were granted. It's a good way to keep in touch with people we've met through the site, as they don't necessarily live in the same state as us.

Also we come here to have a laugh and to share stories, experiences and offer advice to others that have yet to get over here.

Without people that are here already, the site just wouldn't work as well. There'd be no-one to answer questions on where to buy furniture, how much stuff costs etc etc.

The same could also be said for those that go back to the UK, why are they still posting? because this site and it's members gives a lot to people and they come back on to help others, and stay in touch.

Nothing wrong with being on the site, it doesn't have to mean there is nothing else going on in our lives. It's where we like to spend our spare time.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, didnt mean to be critical - as I realize that probably sounded. I can see that it helps to have people who have made the move to be a resource for those who are coming now - I guess I hadnt figured that so many of you were here before migration and so have the ongoing connection. It would be interesting though to see at what stage in their journey people actually fall off the radar and no longer feel the need for the expat community.

I have met some lovely Canberra expats recently but before that, would never have even given it a thought because when I came I was on my own and had to learn the hard way. Guess it is just one of the benefits of the internet huh!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, didnt mean to be critical - as I realize that probably sounded. I can see that it helps to have people who have made the move to be a resource for those who are coming now - I guess I hadnt figured that so many of you were here before migration and so have the ongoing connection. It would be interesting though to see at what stage in their journey people actually fall off the radar and no longer feel the need for the expat community.

I have met some lovely Canberra expats recently but before that, would never have even given it a thought because when I came I was on my own and had to learn the hard way. Guess it is just one of the benefits of the internet huh!

Techonology - it's wonderful ain't it

I think every day that I'll not come on tomorrow and have a break from it, but I always do. It's an addiction
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be interesting though to see at what stage in their journey people actually fall off the radar and no longer feel the need for the expat community.
It varies (obviously) person to person. Some people drop off as soon as they arrive, others are still here five years later. Some people even drop off and then a year or so later pop back on to either catch up with old friends or to update on their lives and then stick around or don't. It's all good.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Because most of us have been members of the site before our visa's were granted. It's a good way to keep in touch with people we've met through the site, as they don't necessarily live in the same state as us.

Also we come here to have a laugh and to share stories, experiences and offer advice to others that have yet to get over here.

Without people that are here already, the site just wouldn't work as well. There'd be no-one to answer questions on where to buy furniture, how much stuff costs etc etc.

The same could also be said for those that go back to the UK, why are they still posting? because this site and it's members gives a lot to people and they come back on to help others, and stay in touch.

Nothing wrong with being on the site, it doesn't have to mean there is nothing else going on in our lives. It's where we like to spend our spare time.
I've been here 3 years come 26 December, but didn't find the site until September this year. It would have been brilliant for me to have the site during the stressful times we had going through the visa process.

I've felt better since joining the site. It's made me look at my situation here in a different light. It's made me feel lucky to be in the place that I've found myself, and not to feel sorry for myself. It's made me feel really humble at times.

And I have to admit that I'm addicted to it!

Maggie
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:39 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Do I still call UK home - yes.
Thats all I wanted to know.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thats all I wanted to know.
lol, it's like getting blood out of a stone INNIT
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:51 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
lol, it's like getting blood out of a stone INNIT
Lol.... came in the end though.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Lol.... came in the end though.
I bet you did!!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:57 pm
Cheeky member

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I bet you did!!
Once last night and again this morning
Old Dec 1st 2007, 8:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Been away for a few days Sam. Just wanted to say I hope you are feeling better today and you know where I am if you fancy a chat. Cx
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
just some random thoughts here

why do i feel that i want to go home

I have a good life here, i work just 4 mornings a week, we swim in our own pool most afternoons (week) and days (weekends)

I work because i want to not because i have too, although we dont have bucket loads of money we have enough to live off

My girls are happy

Alan - well he works far too hard but seems settled most of the time (not always though)

so why do i sometimes still want to go home

NOT always i will hasten to add, yesterday i was fine, today i was fine, just sitting here this evening and i thought.... humm i could go home

I won't but why do these feelings just creep up on you????

oh i could do without the silly sarcastic answers tonight as well please... thanks

and i haven't really put this into words very well, just why when i've had a good day at work adn all is settled around me....i'm feel i'm not???

Because youve now experienced life in 2 different places. You could be here 100 years and some days you will still prefer what might be going on in the other country.

I really think very few people come here and are 100% happy with new life every day, you could be bloody crazy about the place but sometimes you just want to be with someone or doing something elsewhere.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:05 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

That's spot on, I think for most once you've emigrated(unless you loathed where you come from as a lot on here do) where ever you live there'll be another place you'll be homesick for every now and again. It's inevitable if you've called two countries home that are so far away from each other. It's an itch which isn't easily scratched.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
That's spot on, I think for most once you've emigrated(unless you loathed where you come from as a lot on here do) where ever you live there'll be another place you'll be homesick for every now and again. It's inevitable if you've called two countries home that are so far away from each other. It's an itch which isn't easily scratched.
personally I find that during the day I'm quite happy and content living in Oz, its when I have a boring saturday night and my brothers and mates are texting from the pub (before football) that I get really homesick.

I'm lucky enough to go back very regularly, my feelings change frequently when there, I was over in early November and when I was in Modbury (OH's - lovely quintessentially English town in Devon) in the glorious autumn sunshine I thought to myself WTF am I doing living in Australia??? However 2 weeks later I was stuck in traffic on the M25 and stopped for petrol, it was 7oC windy and raining and the serving pole in the service station was an ignorant twat, I then thought to myself thank f**k I'm going back to Oz.

My ambition now is to buy a flat in UK and go back and to whenever I want, the prospect of this seems to keep me very content. - works for me!