British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Why did you do it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/why-did-you-do-824647/)

BadgeIsBack Feb 13th 2014 3:15 am

Re: Why did you do it?

I did it because the prospect of eking out a UK battlers existence scuttling from supermarket to supermarket and watching battlers on the Tv in the pissing rain was way too much to contemplate...

I did consider escaping to the country but I thought I would spend my days walking in to houses and saying 'lovely'! followed by 'nice asSPECT' when copping the view outside.....

it was G who made me see the folly of my ways....
why should it be any different in Australia? : well it did not work out as above so maybe it is different.....

chris955 Feb 13th 2014 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz (Post 11127128)
Now I'm jealous :) what you do a living? Are u back in uk?

The increase in money in Australia doesnt apply to everyone.

chris955 Feb 13th 2014 6:58 am

Originally Posted by aries (Post 11126903)
As you say the trip itself was an incredible adventure, I became addicted :)

I travelled on 5 ships between England and Australia, twice via the Mediterranean, twice via South Africa, and once via Panama.

The Panama route took 5 weeks and was by far the best: via Melbourne, Sydney,
Wellington, Tahiti, Panama, Curacao, the Azores and through to Southampton.

And then planes took over which destroyed the adventure. :thumbdown:

It was an amazing trip, your Panama route sounds very similar to ours but included the West Indies.

Londonertogooz Feb 13th 2014 9:34 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 11127755)
The increase in money in Australia doesnt apply to everyone.

:unsure:

Londonertogooz Feb 13th 2014 9:35 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 11127759)
It was an amazing trip, your Panama route sounds very similar to ours but included the West Indies.

is it still possible???

moneypenny20 Feb 13th 2014 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz (Post 11127953)
is it still possible???

To sail here? Definitely. Cost a fair bit and takes a few weeks but some have done it for their final move over as a 'celebration' type thing.

Londonertogooz Feb 13th 2014 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11128006)
To sail here? Definitely. Cost a fair bit and takes a few weeks but some have done it for their final move over as a 'celebration' type thing.

:thumbup: I would love to do that!!

moneypenny20 Feb 14th 2014 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz (Post 11129051)
:thumbup: I would love to do that!!

Someone did it a few years back as a way of encouraging their teenage daughter to agree to the move. Two weeks after docking, she'd made everyone so miserable they'd booked flights and gone home. Got back before their container got here. Now that was an expensive holiday! :eek:

Dreamy Feb 14th 2014 2:46 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 11129076)
Someone did it a few years back as a way of encouraging their teenage daughter to agree to the move. Two weeks after docking, she'd made everyone so miserable they'd booked flights and gone home. Got back before their container got here. Now that was an expensive holiday! :eek:

My sister-in-law is terrified of flying (she's had aversion therapy, hypnotherapy, drugs, alcohol, meditation techniques, etc etc and they all just make her worse) but she's desperate to come out to see us.

She's worked out she could come on a cruise - it'd only take 5 weeks to get here and she'd have a full day in Sydney, but hey, at least she wouldn't have to fly :D

quoll Feb 14th 2014 5:42 am

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Best opportunity of the moment. First 10 yrs were good, second 10 were ok and last 10 felt like Alcatraz - now, thankfully released on good behaviour.

brissybee Feb 14th 2014 5:49 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 11129345)
It seemed like a good idea at the time. Best opportunity of the moment. First 10 yrs were good, second 10 were ok and last 10 felt like Alcatraz - now, thankfully released on good behaviour.

Luxury. :lol:

Londonertogooz Feb 14th 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 11129345)

really? :blink:why??

Londonertogooz Feb 14th 2014 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 11129240)
My sister-in-law is terrified of flying (she's had aversion therapy, hypnotherapy, drugs, alcohol, meditation techniques, etc etc and they all just make her worse) but she's desperate to come out to see us.

She's worked out she could come on a cruise - it'd only take 5 weeks to get here and she'd have a full day in Sydney, but hey, at least she wouldn't have to fly :D

i HATE flying! when i fly without the kids i just get sleeping drops and bye bye :)

chris955 Feb 14th 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz (Post 11129511)

I wont answer for Quoll but I suspect it is because Australia isnt for everyone and doesnt suit everyone. Australia has all the same issues and problems as the UK.

Alfresco Feb 14th 2014 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz (Post 11129511)

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 11129517)
I wont answer for Quoll but I suspect it is because Australia isnt for everyone and doesnt suit everyone. Australia has all the same issues and problems as the UK.

Then don't try and pretend to. Why not let Quoll answer the question for herself?