British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Why did you do it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/why-did-you-do-824647/)

Londonertogooz Feb 10th 2014 7:43 pm

Why did you do it?

I'm curious to know why you moved down under and if is like you expected :):o

Buzzy--Bee Feb 10th 2014 9:22 pm

Re: Why did you do it?

Originally Posted by Londonertogooz (Post 11122641)
I'm curious to know why you moved down under and if is like you expected :):o

Because we could and it is better than we expected.

BB

asher Feb 10th 2014 9:22 pm

because I wanted an adventure and it didn't cost us much as we did it on a 457.

Dorothy Feb 10th 2014 10:11 pm

Because my husband's midlife crisis involved moving overseas instead of a sports car and younger woman. I'm still deciding on whether he should have opted for the cheap slut. :unsure:

carolinephillips Feb 10th 2014 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11122981)
Because my husband's midlife crisis involved moving overseas instead of a sports car and younger woman. I'm still deciding on whether he should have opted for the cheap slut. :unsure:

:rofl: OH got the sports car, but wrote it off with me and DD in it, so we used the money from that (it was less than a year old) to come out to Aus for a holiday. Well, to cut a long story short, we liked it so much that we applied for PR when we got back. OH had been talking about emigrating to NZ before DD was born. He was fed up with the dreary London commute.

Don't think he ever thought about getting a cheap slut- after all he had me!;):sneaky::p

Bikergirl Feb 10th 2014 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 11122892)
because I wanted an adventure and it didn't cost us much as we did it on a 457.

Almost the same. Opportunity came knocking with visa and relocation fees included. Couldn't say no, not regretted it yet and we have just been sponsored for PR too (again all fees paid). Very fortunate and both husband and I are pleased to call Sydney home.

As for it being what we expected, having spent traveling on my own around some parts of Australia, along with a holiday with my husband to Sydney we knew what to expect on holiday but we also knew that living and working would be completely different to having a holiday here. We also knew that if long term it didn't work out we could always go back to the UK having experienced living and working in Australia. There would be no "what ifs" in our future in relation to Australia.

We don't have kids so it was only the two of us (and the dog - think he would be very upset to go back to the uk now the sun-worshiper he is) to uproot, relocate and re-settle in Australia. We didnt have a choice on destination, that was determined by my husbands company (internal-company transfer) but I always had a soft spot for Sydney.

jad n rich Feb 10th 2014 10:45 pm

:rofl:

Dreamy Feb 10th 2014 10:50 pm

I'm glad he didn't go for the cheap slut :)

We came out because Himself was offered a job. Simples.

We're very happy, although admittedly we were very happy in the UK too. We're just happy people.

:: snorts ::

scrubbedexpat098 Feb 10th 2014 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 11123037)
I'm glad he didn't go for the cheap slut :)

We came out because Himself was offered a job. Simples.

We're very happy, although admittedly we were very happy in the UK too. We're just happy people.

:: snorts ::

love the happy people bit, we're the same. To some extent it doesn't matter where you are if you're one of us :)

Got offered a job out of the blue, thought about it whilst on holiday and collectively thought sod it why not give it a go. That was 6 years ago:D, didn't have any expectations really and this is my home now

brissybee Feb 11th 2014 5:53 am

To answer the op, I got brought here as a kid.

My expectations were low which was fortunate since I arrived to a stinking hot backwater with black and white tv and a blank look from shop-keepers when you asked for sweets.

What more could you ask for?

Londonertogooz Feb 11th 2014 7:04 am

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Amazulu Feb 11th 2014 7:14 am

Originally Posted by brissybee (Post 11123378)

To answer the op, I got brought here as a kid.

My expectations were low which was fortunate since I arrived to a stinking hot backwater with black and white tv and a blank look from shop-keepers when you asked for sweets.

What more could you ask for?

Lollies

Pollyana Feb 11th 2014 7:19 am

Too much alcohol.

chris955 Feb 11th 2014 7:57 am

I was 18 months old so had no say in the decision :D

DeadVim Feb 11th 2014 8:03 am

I didn't want to live near chris955. ;)

And I knocked an Aussie bird up on holiday in Europe. :o