Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:00 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

i can only speak for myself,,yes its good that we are put right and the rose coloured specs are taken off by people who have had the experience of australia...but its like someone keep kicking you,your moving your family to the other side of the world ,selling most of your hard earned,disturbing your kids.........

and then you have to read about bare feet and sunday shopping,,,please...

most of us would give our right arm just to be given the chance of australia...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally - top thread - thoroughly enjoying it.

One of these days I'm going to start a sweepstake on the number of weeks a would-be migrant will last out here....
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
1. Not all of Australia is under water restrictions. And not just tropical (ie wet) areas like FNQ. Just south of Sydney is okay, if I remember rightly.

2. Why has Sydney got water restrictions? Because the rain doesn't always fall over the dams. Which are mostly built inland. And most people live by the coast. Therefore, there's a water shortage. Check out rainfall charts if you don't believe me. Or live inland, somewhere like Goulburn. Nice and dry there...

Go ahead, delude yourself into thinking Australia is just like the UK. Generalise away. If the better weather is the only thing you can think of that's different between the two countries, why not save yourself some money and buy a sun lamp and swap the bike for a car if getting wet is that awful (as you'll get wet here too).
The only reason we in the south west have any resitrictions at all is apparently because the peeps in Perth have restrictions and would be upset if we were seen to be using water as we liked...

In fact we had heavier restrictions in Kent, UK than we do here!!!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I was just saying it's one thing that shocked me hearing that word used in everyday conversation, and I have heard Aussies use it in a derogatory way mainly too... (e.g. complaining about immigrants from non-white countries)

Alk, maybe you find Pom offensive but I dont.... just a personal thing I guess
Heard someone call Asians 'powerpoints' the other day (like, an aussie powerpoint ... )
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:03 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Incidentally - top thread - thoroughly enjoying it.

One of these days I'm going to start a sweepstake on the number of weeks a would-be migrant will last out here....
I will give you money if you start that right now.
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man

most of us would give our right arm just to be given the chance of australia...
Dont worry about the right arm, if you're prepared to leave your shoes in the bin at the Arrivals desk then maybe you'll get the chance
BE Forum Addict

Heard someone call Asians 'powerpoints' the other day (like, an aussie powerpoint ... )
Bizarre....
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
the shocking state of the health of some people needing basic care but not being able to afford it.
Disagree with this. There is a safety net for people who cannot 'afford' basic health care and hospitalisation is covered by medicare. If people choose not to use the system then that's their issue.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:04 am
Australia's Doorman

The only reason we in the south west have any resitrictions at all is apparently because the peeps in Perth have restrictions and would be upset if we were seen to be using water as we liked...

In fact we had heavier restrictions in Kent, UK than we do here!!!
lol!

We've been restriction free all year, despite the fact that Sydney hoovers giga-litres of water out of of the Shoalhaven River ...
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:05 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I will give you money if you start that right now.
You're meant to be out running, not here encouraging gambling.

S

Oh hang it. $20 he lasts less than 6 months...

S
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:08 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Disagree with this. There is a safety net for people who cannot 'afford' basic health care and hospitalisation is covered by medicare. If people choose not to use the system then that's their issue.
But let's not forget people on certain visa's arent entilted to medicare, thankfully we are but i could imagine the expense if we weren't.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:09 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You're meant to be out running, not here encouraging gambling.

S

Oh hang it. $20 he lasts less than 6 months...

S
I've been.

(I'm now half dead.)
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I was just saying it's one thing that shocked me hearing that word used in everyday conversation, and I have heard Aussies use it in a derogatory way mainly too... (e.g. complaining about immigrants from non-white countries)

Alk, maybe you find Pom offensive but I dont.... just a personal thing I guess
I'm uncomfortable about people using the term wog too, but it comes down to how its being used. Like the word nigger being used by black people, and the word poof being used by gays, some ethnic communities have appropriated the term to describe themselves. But if the term is being used by someone who is Anglo, for example, and it's being associated with negative values, it becomes offensive to both non-wogs and wogs themselves.

I don't tend to find the word Pom offensive, but when I was on the receiving end of abuse by an Australian who in addition to calling me a Pom and telling me to go back home, I have to say I found it incredibly offensive. Again, it was the context in which the term was used.

Many people speak English, but interpretation can vary according to culture, location, education etc. A root in England can be understood as something VERY different in Australia...
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

Very true. But next time - post under your real username.
I'm glad you agree!

And let me assure you, this is my 1 and only username. Been reading these forums for over 3 years now, and finally couldn't take anymore. Had to register and get posting!

Enjoy.....
Old Apr 19th 2007, 6:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by anawanahuanana
I'm glad you agree!

And let me assure you, this is my 1 and only username. Been reading these forums for over 3 years now, and finally couldn't take anymore. Had to register and get posting!

Enjoy.....
lol - okay. Post more, ya serial lurker!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.