British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/why-cant-some-people-stand-hear-negative-views-australia-443228/)

stardust Apr 18th 2007 11:44 pm

Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

Hi everyone just been reading the post from the user who isn't happy living in Perth
I too have posted of not enjoying my experience of emigrating to Sydney and just feel annoyed at the usual response "take it to the Moving back to Uk forum"

It is like a lot of you people can't take to hear anything negative or anyone who is not living in a mansion with pool, swimming in sea everyday, sunbathing and enjoying BBQ's every night with their regions of Australian friends. You know a bit of realism about the move might do you good.
I personally feel that before you emmigrate is the best time to read of other people's DIFFERENT experiences.

I am not talking about negativity but I for one would have like to have known how hard it is for a qualified nurse and teacher to actually get work over here or how bad traffic is in most of the cities (yes I know they are cities and you should expect some traffic but 1 hour jams are the norm even an hours drive out of the city)

There are good and bad things about Oz the beaches are beautiful, but it is too expensive for most to live close to them, the people we have meet have all been really friendy but it is hard to make new friends, like it would be anywhere!

Anyway sorry everyone rant over (having a bad day today) just think there should be a bit of a balance of this site and everyones opinion is valid

Wendy Apr 18th 2007 11:51 pm

Re: Why can't some people stand to hear negative views of Australia

I agree. Although some people do post things like 'there's no tesco's here' and expect everyone to ooh and argh over their plight to buy M&S knickers. Or the ones who state it as fact that their experience is the only true account of life here.

We all have our own experiences, they should be shared but not in a way that makes out that because they don't like it or are having difficulties that is the way it is for everyone (or vice versa).

I think that's where people get all defensive mostly. :)

Amazulu Apr 18th 2007 11:57 pm

You could say the same thing about negative views of the UK.
I see no difference here.

biggy Apr 18th 2007 11:59 pm

I dont have a mansion by any means but do have a small pool. I dont swim in the Ocean everyday and live only 5 mins away.....dont have time to go...everyday chores still need doing no matter what country yer in. I dont sunbathe....its too bloody hot to and the sun is too fierce here. Dont have BBQ's every night.......only meet up wi friends about once a month cos we r too tired to be bothered most weekends lol

We have a bigger mortgage than in the UK, but have a bigger house. Hubby works harder than he has ever done and for less money and he bloody loves it.

Bills still need paying(some months are a struggle)......you still have shit days just like you would anywhere...............would I swap what I have got now ...................Not a bloody chance!!!!!

I hope your day gets better

StevenChez Apr 19th 2007 12:03 am

Originally Posted by stardust (Post 4663750)
Hi everyone just been reading the post from the user who isn't happy living in Perth
I too have posted of not enjoying my experience of emigrating to Sydney and just feel annoyed at the usual response "take it to the Moving back to Uk forum"

It is like a lot of you people can't take to hear anything negative or anyone who is not living in a mansion with pool, swimming in sea everyday, sunbathing and enjoying BBQ's every night with their regions of Australian friends. You know a bit of realism about the move might do you good.
I personally feel that before you emmigrate is the best time to read of other people's DIFFERENT experiences.

I am not talking about negativity but I for one would have like to have known how hard it is for a qualified nurse and teacher to actually get work over here or how bad traffic is in most of the cities (yes I know they are cities and you should expect some traffic but 1 hour jams are the norm even an hours drive out of the city)

There are good and bad things about Oz the beaches are beautiful, but it is too expensive for most to live close to them, the people we have meet have all been really friendy but it is hard to make new friends, like it would be anywhere!

Anyway sorry everyone rant over (having a bad day today) just think there should be a bit of a balance of this site and everyones opinion is valid

To be honest, I think there is a fair balance. I stumbled across this web site after only a few minutes of searching the internet and it's given me a pretty good grounding. I have no dissolutions about Australia (sydney in particular), in fact just the oz forum has given me enough food for thought. If people choose to ignore the negatives, then so be it, but I agree if people won't tolerate constructive critisism, then more fool them.

Have a bear, chill out, think about what YOU want out of life, and move on.:thumbup:

Cheryl

Gazzap Apr 19th 2007 12:04 am

The negative stuff has it's uses- taken with a pinch of salt.

It amazes me how many people seem to go having never even visited before. :confused:
I'm sure lots of people expect 'UK with sun' :ohmy: (the same kind of people who complain about Spain not having decent fish and chips etc :rofl: )

I much prefer to read about those who have had it hard, but stuck it out and come good in the end. :thumbup:

Dorothy Apr 19th 2007 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Gazzap (Post 4663834)

It amazes me how many people seem to go having never even visited before. :confused:
I'm sure lots of people expect 'UK with sun' :ohmy: (the same kind of people who complain about Spain not having decent fish and chips etc :rofl: )

I much prefer to read about those who have had it hard, but stuck it out and come good in the end. :thumbup:

Why does it amaze you that people move without having ever gone before?

Mid Lifer. Apr 19th 2007 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 4663873)
Why does it amaze you that people move without having ever gone before?

I agree with you Dorothy.I jumped in cold as I recon a lot of people do.I just didnt have the money to "waste" on a reccie.

MrsDagboy Apr 19th 2007 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4663778)
I agree. Although some people do post things like 'there's no tesco's here' and expect everyone to ooh and argh over their plight to buy M&S knickers. Or the ones who state it as fact that their experience is the only true account of life here.

Or the ones who state "This is what it's like in Australia" when in fact Australia is a bloody big place & everywhere is different ;) .

Wendy Apr 19th 2007 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer. (Post 4663930)
I agree with you Dorothy.I jumped in cold as I recon a lot of people do.I just didnt have the money to "waste" on a reccie.

Me 3 :D

It's actually mostly those that do visit who expect it to be all sunshine and lollipops. They come for a holiday then when they actually come to live here they find that it's totally different to what their holiday was and think what they hell have I done.

Those of us who don't visit beforehand don't have any pre-conceived ideas and usually slot pretty well into everyday life here. :)

Of course there are exceptions to that, and it's very hard to generalise because at the end of the day there are lots of reasons why people don't settle here

themerlin Apr 19th 2007 12:38 am

I agree with that, we had some friends of friends staying with us the other week. They had been here on holiday before and decided to get there visas so where here to activate them and make there final decision on moving here.
I have never seen such rose coloured glasses before, they where surprised by stupid , I was shocked, think they had taken the paradise thing a bit too literally :)

Anyway after staying with us I don't think they will move here :confused:

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 4663962)
It's actually mostly those that do visit who expect it to be all sunshine and lollipops. They come for a holiday then when they actually come to live here they find that it's totally different to what their holiday was and think what they hell have I done.

Hutch Apr 19th 2007 12:45 am

Originally Posted by themerlin (Post 4664025)
I have never seen such rose coloured glasses before, they where surprised by stupid , I was shocked, think they had taken the paradise thing a bit too literally

Oi - you edited that - you said they were surprised they had car crashes here ... hence my :rofl:

Siren & Brian Apr 19th 2007 12:49 am

Some of these negative comments are exaggerated and factually wrong, to try and prove there point.

jad n rich Apr 19th 2007 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer. (Post 4663930)

Thats OK to say if it worked out for you, but what about all the ones going back who didnt do a research trip, nearly always the ones weve seen go back never visited first. People quote it sets them back 30/40/60 grand, I imagine the cost of selling houses, commissions, fees, shipping, currency fluctuations, weeks or months of unemployment, setting up costs, selling it all up again a and shipping it all back again is slightly more of a 'waste' than the cost of a few weeks temp accom and airfares on research.

kez81 Apr 19th 2007 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Gazzap (Post 4663834)

Hi i came to Australia in 2005 to stay without ever visiting the country reason why simply couldn't afford a recce before coming. We moved to Melbourne first stayed there for a year wasn't for us so decided to try here Perth without visiting first couldn't afford it we drove our car from melbourne to Perth and was close to $4000 for our container up here.Not everyone can afford a trip here before the big move down to all the cost's of moving so that's probably the main reason a lot of people dont, a few weeks in place doesn't really give you that much insight nothing like living it!!!