Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Why can't I use a longer cable?

Why can't I use a longer cable?

Old Sep 13th 2019, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why can't I use a longer cable?

My mower (electric) died last week. It was 6 years old and had done pretty well. I cycled to Bunnings and got a replacement (yes, cycled, with a lawn mower ... on a makeshift trailer ... that was an interesting journey!)

Anyway, the new one has come with a warning to only use a heavy duty 25m extension lead. I have this, but with my old mower I had to use two connected together (both 10A) to reach the farthest bits of my garden. I never perceived or seemed to have a problem with this.

So why shouldn't I use two leads connected together? What's the risk of doing so?

Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2019, 9:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't I use a longer cable?

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
My mower (electric) died last week. It was 6 years old and had done pretty well. I cycled to Bunnings and got a replacement (yes, cycled, with a lawn mower ... on a makeshift trailer ... that was an interesting journey!)

Anyway, the new one has come with a warning to only use a heavy duty 25m extension lead. I have this, but with my old mower I had to use two connected together (both 10A) to reach the farthest bits of my garden. I never perceived or seemed to have a problem with this.

So why shouldn't I use two leads connected together? What's the risk of doing so?

Cheers
You can carry on using 2 leads - there is no risk. It's just the manufacturer being all H&S - aka the modern world
Old Sep 14th 2019, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You can carry on using 2 leads - there is no risk. It's just the manufacturer being all H&S - aka the modern world
hahaha Cheers. Two leads it is.

What's their thinking though? Longer lead = more resistance = less power to the mower = damage somehow? They just don't trust the connection between the two leads? Other?
Old Sep 15th 2019, 6:44 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

From my dim and distant electrical theory past......increasing the length of the cable will increase the resistance (further distance = more atoms). Increasing the resistance in the cable will increase the temperature in the cable. Increasing the temperature will increase the resistance in the cable.......and so it goes on - or the potential for fire in the cable from the mower manufacturers point of view. I wouldn't say there is no risk, but an increased risk.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 4:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha Cheers. Two leads it is.

What's their thinking though? Longer lead = more resistance = less power to the mower = damage somehow? They just don't trust the connection between the two leads? Other?
Some electrical theory:
The only issue with the length of this cable is volt drop - the voltage is reducing for every metre of cable. On a 'heavy duty', 25m, 2.5mm2 cable, the volt drop is negligible and would only become an issue of the cable was in the 100's of metres long. VD is a design issue that I deal with a lot (especially on long overland conveyors) and we overcome it by increasing the size (cross-section of the conductors) of the cable. So, if VD is going to be a problem on a 300m, 2.5mm2 cable, we'd increase it to, say, 4mm2 or 6mm2

In your case, the mower manufacturer is just being ultra cautious. That's it
Old Sep 18th 2019, 2:29 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Electric lawnmowers, so cute.

Get yerself an Ozone muncher!

And a ride on at that.

Much fun hooning with a stubbie or two.

I’ve assimilated, sort of.
Old Sep 20th 2019, 4:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Electric lawnmowers, so cute.

Get yerself an Ozone muncher!

And a ride on at that.

Much fun hooning with a stubbie or two.

I’ve assimilated, sort of.
Sure, but a bit overkill if his back yard is only (guessing) 60m2!

Jim's Mowing works for me
Old Sep 20th 2019, 5:28 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

A new 100ft cable would be better than joining 2 50ft together. No leaks if it rains. And you have a spare 50.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 11:53 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

i have a Jimi’s Mowing t-shirt ... it’s a Hendrix thing.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 1:09 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by DeadVim

i have a Jimi’s Mowing t-shirt ... it’s a Hendrix thing.

Clever bloke is ol' Jim - he's got his fingers in a lot of, err, pies:

Old Oct 4th 2019, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'd love a ride on mower! But I'm lacking in that essential thing ... what's it called ... um ... oh yeah, money!

I chose electric because it was only $150 from Bunnings and that's all I've ever used, so I'm well used to the foibles of working around the lead. My lawn is 330m2 so the mower is a bit small for the task at hand, but does a surprisingly decent job of it.

Being car-less, transporting the new mower back from Bunnings was ... interesting ... I tied a small foldable luggage trolley to the back of my bike, tied down the mower, and rode the 7k home nice and gently. After I got home my neighbours said "why didn't you ask ask, we would have given you a lift" but once I'd set my mind on the challenge there was no stopping me!

Plus, in the rucksack, to add some more weight to the challenge is a 2.4m fence post cut down into 300mm lengths to make a game called Molkky

Old Oct 4th 2019, 11:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love a ride on mower! But I'm lacking in that essential thing ... what's it called ... um ... oh yeah, money!

I chose electric because it was only $150 from Bunnings and that's all I've ever used, so I'm well used to the foibles of working around the lead. My lawn is 330m2 so the mower is a bit small for the task at hand, but does a surprisingly decent job of it.

Being car-less, transporting the new mower back from Bunnings was ... interesting ... I tied a small foldable luggage trolley to the back of my bike, tied down the mower, and rode the 7k home nice and gently. After I got home my neighbours said "why didn't you ask ask, we would have given you a lift" but once I'd set my mind on the challenge there was no stopping me!

Plus, in the rucksack, to add some more weight to the challenge is a 2.4m fence post cut down into 300mm lengths to make a game called Molkky
Love the innovation Hope you're doing ok.
Old Oct 8th 2019, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Love the innovation Hope you're doing ok.
Still quite a lot of but in general cheers x
Old Oct 8th 2019, 10:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Still quite a lot of but in general cheers x
So happy to read that. I know there's still some yuck times but you've come a long way, bloody good on you!