Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Make Molkky! Fun garden game.

Make Molkky! Fun garden game.

Old Oct 8th 2019, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Make Molkky! Fun garden game.

I first played this game about a dozen years ago at a party. Really simple, fun, we all enjoyed it. It's called Molkky, originally from Finland I think.

Now I have made a set for my boys and they love it too. You can go to BigW and buy a set for about $60, or get a fence post from Bunnings for about $10 and make one yourself for a bigger, better, stronger set (and gain a great deal of satisfaction in the process).

You'll need: 2.4m x 70mm round fence post (I got Bunnings to cut it into eight 300mm lengths for me); a saw; a pen/marker/crayon/whatever.

Take your 300mm lengths of wood home. Cut six of them in half at a 45 degree angle to make 12 skittles. The other two will be throwing sticks. Mark the 45 degree cut faces with numbers 1-12. That's it, job done. If you want to do more sanding, painting, whatever, go for it.

To play: Arrange the skittles in a diamond formation (as shown, or however you like). Throw your throwing stick at the skittles. If you knock down one skittle, you score the number on the skittle. If you knock down two or more, your score is the number of skittles knocked down (not the value on the skittles). Stand each skittle up where it is laying after each player's turn, not back in the original starting position - the skittles will become more and more spread out. The winner is the first to 50 points (or your number of choice). Sounds like a relatively easy game - and it is, kind of - but the throwing sticks behave worse than an egg-shaped ball. They roll and bounce really unpredictably. Any number of players can play.

Great fun garden/family/bbq/camping/wherever game for all ages. Enjoy

Last edited by Lucas_Dad; Oct 8th 2019 at 11:03 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 9:55 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Make Molkky! Fun garden game.

It is indeed an excellent game for levelling the generation gap.

Even one of my cats has been known to join in (but he tends to cheat).

If you have spare timber, maybe have a look at this one as well. Introduced to us just this afternoon, it brings "team spirit" into the equation.

And introduces the notion of tactics. Equally good fun.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 11:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Two great games! Lucas Dad, love the Molkky set you made with timber from Bunnings, a very professional job and I bet the kids love it.
Old Oct 17th 2019, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute