Why??

Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why??

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Actually, I think Australia has some great things going for it. For me, personally, I have found it to be just a little dull. If you are happen to spend your life on the beach or by the pool, then its great. If part of your life in the UK involves any interest in its history and culture, then Oz could be a problem as it pretty much has none of that.
Oh creature.... Don't let's go down that old chestnut again. I am not near a beach and the only pool I am near is the council run ones... I'm into history and culture and I get plenty, let me tell you now! (baby!)
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Again, Uranus's post rings true - friends of mine (she's aussie born and bred / he's a pom but been here 15+ years) moved up to Cairns for a easier lifestyle from Melly, sick of the commute into work everyday/expensive lifestyle/ tiny home, no garden at ALL for mega money /all work and no play but within a year (after buying a nice home mortgage free, putting in a grand sized pool, buying a big boat plus tinny, living the life etc etc) realised that they had to move back to Melly, as the wages he got here were p*ss poor for his job and he didn't feel he was getting what he was worth.

Location also plays a huge part in whether or not you settle here according to your job description and /or your job earning potential, full stop.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolk
Can I ask a really blunt question - why do we all want to migrate to Australia?

I'd really love to hear some of people's responses!

Have you been before or you jumping in at the deep end?

How easy has your decision been?

Feel free to answer honestly......
It's not a blunt question, it's a normal day to day thing that i get asked.
My first reason is because Hubby wanted to give it a go since his 2 brothers were here and they fed him loads of bullshit!!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
Oh creature.... Don't let's go down that old chestnut again. I am not near a beach and the only pool I am near is the council run ones... I'm into history and culture and I get plenty, let me tell you now! (baby!)

Now come on... Kiama has half a dozen 'Historical Buildings'. I once lived in a house that was older than all of them... admittedly it was knocked down as a slum. !!

I struggle here.. its down to me.. but I still think the people coming should see a more balanced view than the Barbie usually portrays.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
I have to be fair and to agree with Uranus...Australia does not suit everyone and they should certainly be afforded the opportunity to air their views here without being judged - no two experience are the same but should be valued for being unique and true...walk a mile in a mans shoes and all that.
Thing is, the Barbie is not the place to see those two sides. Its pretty much designed for the people who love the place. There is nothing wrong with that, just so long as the people reading these threads realise that the reality of Australia is that its NOT all shorter hours, higher pay, lazing by your pool or on the beach.
The Barbie SHOULD be the place to see the two sides, just as the UK forum should be. Prospective migrants deserve to see a balanced viiewpoint from people who are settled, and from people who aren't.
Walk a mile in a man's shoes....the perfect way to describe it - for some people it works better than for others. Steandleigh have been lucky - and respect the views of those not so fortunate.Thats a valuable lesson. Tolerance of the views of others is very important on a forum like this - lets all try and remember that.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Barbie SHOULD be the place to see the two sides
... and for once it seems to be working that way.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:27 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skye
Never been - both hit 40 - life begins at 40 so they say - so why not try a new life!! - fed up of working long hours, council tax! - forever increasing bills, cold, wet, miserable, interest rate increases etc etc, we have no ties here and wish to give our dogs a better way of life!!!!!
if you are fed up of those things moveing here won't cange that it's the same intrest rates (monthly)live in side to hot to breathe heat causes anger and short temper.i'm sorry to burst your bubble but bills go up here to and there not cheap to start with and working long hours beware there is no limits here
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

My last penneth before beddybobos...

I always think there may be something amiss when an individual is so 'pro' a particular thing that they hammer it home to the point of it being ridiculous. A case of reverse psychology in a way - almost trying to convince themselves that they 'really do love Australia'.

In this case I am obviously talking about being 'pro-pro' Australia (which is not a bad thing if you love being here and have settled well, as we have and do) but when you step on to a forum like this and knock others down for their dislike of their new country (for whatever their personal reason may be)...well...thats a bit odd...don't others have a sense of individualtility? What suits one will nor always suit another, end of.

Best thing for those migrating is to read all of these type of threads and to make up their own minds. Whether they do it pre-migration or after the 'big jump' is down to them but they will make their own judgements one day anyway.

Live and let live folks...you cannot put yourself in anothers mindset and you cannot force your ideas or beliefs on another either. Variety makes the world go around.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:44 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Now come on... Kiama has half a dozen 'Historical Buildings'. I once lived in a house that was older than all of them... admittedly it was knocked down as a slum. !!

I struggle here.. its down to me.. but I still think the people coming should see a more balanced view than the Barbie usually portrays.
quite liked Kiama had a cousin use to jump into the blow hole for fun got arrested eventually lol. a quick story not related but funny we where watching a program on English castles ,well a young girl that was staying with us felt left out so piped in with "my family live in the oldest house in Moss Vale it 500 yrs old " when I picked myself up off the floor I asked which tribe build the humpy
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:54 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The OH
WTF is all the above about? its not relevant
I was hoping for a more considered response after your last bout
Is this how you normally behave when faced with FACTS?
Oh come on now. I thought that response was rather funny

Can you nail blancmange to the ceiling? Hahahahahahahahaha
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to go to Aus for history or culture.

History is sooooo yesterday.

And if I want culture I only need to look in my boxer shorts.

sorry.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:30 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with what you say Creature, absolutely. There should be balance, but I also think that largely it's also down to different personalities. There are some types who do well out here and there are some who don't because everything is wrong... yet one person can do well there and others suffer. I guess I have no less culture here than I did in the UK really, but that's down to my definition of culture and also because if I can't find it, I'm going to look for it and hunt it down... And if it's not there at all, I'm going to create my own, instead of moaning about it.
Not everyone is like this.

Culture to me isn't old buildings, it's music, going to gigs, going out for meals with friends, going to concerts, travelling into the city and going to the theatre... Hell, there's something for everyone here. There are so many different cultures here accessible to everyone that you could go immerse yourself any time you want.
I think Australia has an easier time living with other cultures and I'm not so sure England does, because we've been white anglo saxon for so long. I expect to get shot down for that comment. Aus is also a relatively young country and to an extent, still deciding its own culture, but I see that as an exciting time rather than saying there's none here... I want in!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carolk
Can I ask a really blunt question - why do we all want to migrate to Australia?

I'd really love to hear some of people's responses!

Have you been before or you jumping in at the deep end?

How easy has your decision been?

Feel free to answer honestly......
Been twice fell in love with the country, the people, the lifestlye, the wild-life,
basically everything about the place is superb.

Oh yes and its sunny!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 12:42 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Better quality of life, close proximity to Asia to travel, travel around Oz as we have always wanted to, suppose a bit of an adventure and also do not want to get to an old age and think "what if" and also 100 other reasons but can not be bothered to mention!
can some one pease explain this Quality of life improvement by moving to Aust .it keeps cropping up but unquantifiyed.how do you get a better quality of life working longer hours having to stay in aircon buildings if not home ,have travelled all over Aust not a big variance ,travel in asia is dangerous compaired to europe and america and still costs an arm and a leg
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:07 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a definitive reason for wanting to emigrate.
I just think an expat lifestyle will suit me.
I've always known I wanted to try living overseas.
I have been to Australia and saw some things I loved and some I didn't. Nowhere is perfect but we are going to try it anyway.
If we don't like it -we will return.
I will do everything in my power to make it work though because if we return to England we will be skint and unable to buy a decent property.
I always take on board people's comments about what they don't like. I think it's good to be prepared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.