Why??

Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why??

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
False. Average working week in the UK: 43.6 hours (source). Average working week in Australia: 40.7 hours (source; see row 35, column "N").

False. Average holiday allowance in the UK: 4 weeks. Average holiday allowance in Australia: 4 weeks. (I actually received 5 weeks back home; I get 4 weeks here in the UK).

That's without mentioning long service leave, which is unique to Australia (see also here). For those unfamiliar with it, long service leave entitles you to a one-off holiday endowment of 2 months' paid leave after 10 years' service.

Additionally, Aussies receive 17.5% leave loading, unlike our Pommy counterparts.

False.

Under the Federal Governments industrial relations legislation (WorkChoices) eligible employees are entitled to:

* ten days of paid personal/carer’s leave per year (including sick leave and carer’s leave);
* two days of unpaid carer’s leave per occasion; and
* two days of paid compassionate leave per occasion.
Source.

True.

On average? False.

The average annual salary in the UK before tax is £20,919 = $52,217 (Source).

Australia's average wage of $53,860 = £21,583. With overtime and bonuses included, this rises to $56,350 = £22,581. (Source).

However, I do believe that high level professional jobs pay more in the UK. It's swings and roundabouts.

Translation: your dog will be excluded from certain local and national parks. (Big deal!)
I transfered from the UK with the same company.. thanks to the Australian work place agreements.. my hours are now longer.. I get paid less.. I get less holidays... sick pay is at the discretion of management.. I am in the six figure income bracket, so these T's + C's are not something that just applies to the lower end of the income scales..

Do me a favour Dave... Google these for me and don't come back until you have all the answers...

The meaning of life?

If a bell jar is 12” high and has a 4” circumference how many average sized jelly beans can it hold? Your answer could make me some cash !

How do you plait fog?

If mineral water has spent hundreds of years in the ground, why does it have a sell by date when its bottled?

Why doesn’t glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Can you nail blancmange to the ceiling?

Why don’t you get mouse flavoured cat food?

If an orange is orange, why isn't a lime called a green or a lemon called a yellow?

You can lead a horse to water but does a pencil have to be lead?

What is the definition of Googlitis and Obsessive Complusive Disorder and are they linked in anyway?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:14 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
For those unfamiliar with it, long service leave entitles you to a one-off holiday endowment of 2 months' paid leave after 10 years' service.

Additionally, Aussies receive 17.5% leave loading, unlike our Pommy counterparts.

However, I do believe that high level professional jobs pay more in the UK. It's swings and roundabouts.
Vash i think they have recently changed the 10 years down to 7 years which means even more entitlement for Victorian based employees. Rumour is that NSW is following mid way through this coming year.

The only difference for me is in London I had a PA in Melbourne I have a PDA
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why??

I've updated my previous post to include an attached Excel spreadsheet from the ABS, showing average working hours per week for Australia.

The figures are from the latest Census.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Vash i think they have recently changed the 10 years down to 7 years which means even more entitlement for Victorian based employees. Rumour is that NSW is following mid way through this coming year.

The only difference for me is in London I had a PA in Melbourne I have a PDA
I work far less hours here in Melbourne than I did in Central Europe/London.
It's a secret I keep quite well, all told.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You are in for a nasty shock then... take out the cold and substitute with hot and you could be talking about Australia.

Longer working hours than the UK on average... less holidays... sick pay if your employer feels like it.. higher interest rates than the UK... lower wages... and your dogs will be excluded from large parts of the country as well.
You're right, those things can apply to some people. My hubby has a totally different job from the one he had in the UK, half the hours, fractionally better money. Not sure about sick pay - he was never sick in the UK and hasn't been here yet - I reserve judgement on that. We don't have a mortage so in that respect the interest rates don't make a major impact on our lives - obviously food, fuel etc etc are affected - I realise that.

Tell people in the UK how it is, they both need and want the bad as well as the good, but please don't say that's how it is for everyone else.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Do me a favour Dave... Google these for me and don't come back until you have all the answers...

The meaning of life?

If a bell jar is 12” high and has a 4” circumference how many average sized jelly beans can it hold? Your answer could make me some cash !

How do you plait fog?

If mineral water has spent hundreds of years in the ground, why does it have a sell by date when its bottled?

Why doesn’t glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Can you nail blancmange to the ceiling?

Why don’t you get mouse flavoured cat food?

If an orange is orange, why isn't a lime called a green or a lemon called a yellow?

You can lead a horse to water but does a pencil have to be lead?

What is the definition of Googlitis and Obsessive Complusive Disorder and are they linked in anyway?
WTF is all the above about? its not relevant
I was hoping for a more considered response after your last bout
Is this how you normally behave when faced with FACTS?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The OH
WTF is all the above about? its not relevant
I was hoping for a more considered response after your last bout
Is this how you normally behave when faced with FACTS?

No, its how I normally behave when faced with the Googlemeister Vash, AKA Dave the Librarian.... and of course everything found on Google is a fact isn't it.

My FACT, I have used capitals 'cos you seem to like them, is that my company is probably one of the highest paying employers in Australia, outside of the mining sector... they are moving jobs and staff to Australia from the UK and US.. why, because its CHEAPER to employ staff here.

We get less pay.
We get less holidays.
We do not get paid overtime.
Sick pay is at the discretion of management.

If you choose to believe that when you get off the plane that there will be a long line of employers fighting to pay you sh!t loads of money for half the hours that's your choice..

You want to see what's really happening? Well here's another link for you... check out how the Australia Work Place Agreements are turning the workforce into a casually employed workforce
http://melbourne.indymedia.org/news/2007/01/135404.php
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Erm...just to add a bit of balance:

We really wanted a change and a bit of adventure and for all of us to experience a different way of living for a while (although Ste had already done 2 years around the world, a year of which was in Oz).

We wanted less working hours for Ste (he averaged 65-70 hrs a week in the UK), he did every weekend. He now works Mon-Fri, 7am-5pm) every weekend free to spend time with his family and to have some fun.

We were sick of working like dogs to afford a 3 bed semi with almost no garden. We now have a very nice 4 bed detached, decent garden and pool plus the etcs and above all room to move, breath, play and to think (say what you like about the Mcmansions/estates/new builds but it suits us nicely, thank you very much)

We wanted to live closer to the countryside in the UK for several reasons but we would have never been able to afford it. We now live with a mountain backdrop, amongst world heritage listed rainforest, with all the birdlife, walks, camping etc we can handle plus more besides.

We wanted a climate where we could plan weekends in advance and follow them through. Yes, we could have gone camping in the UK in the rain but its much nicer in the fine weather and we go year 'round.

The main thing is the whole experience - thats what we really came for and thats what we got. Australia is no utopia but excuse me, neither is the Uk. Make the best of wherever you are and you'll have a good life.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:34 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

No, its how I normally behave when faced with the Googlemeister Vash, AKA Dave the Librarian.... and of course everything found on Google is a fact isn't it.

My FACT, I have used capitals 'cos you seem to like them, is that my company is probably one of the highest paying employers in Australia, outside of the mining sector... they are moving jobs and staff to Australia from the UK and US.. why, because its CHEAPER to employ staff here.

We get less pay.
We get less holidays.
We do not get paid overtime.
Sick pay is at the discretion of management.

If you choose to believe that when you get off the plane that there will be a long line of employers fighting to pay you sh!t loads of money for half the hours that's your choice..

You want to see what's really happening? Well here's another link for you... check out how the Australia Work Place Agreements are turning the workforce into a casually employed workforce
http://melbourne.indymedia.org/news/2007/01/135404.php
I take it you're not the biggest fan of Australia then
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add a bit to the workplace debate - not all employers are bad...

Stes employer pays him the same wage here as UK equivilent for 20 less hours a week and no weekend work. he only gets 4 weeks paid holiday though and he got 6 in the Uk. However he does get leave loading at 17.5 %, which he never got in the Uk. Then he gets 21 days sick leave a year, which if he doesn't use he gets in full pay at the end of the tax year. (So really another 3 weeks holiday pay).
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I am trying to portray the other side of the sugar coated bullsh!t that far too often frequents these boards. I have been there and done all the waiting with expectation in the UK... pushing to the back of you mind all the possible things that could go wrong... always believing the best will happen.

Well guess what?. For lots of people it doesn't work.
For lots of people Australia turns out to be a nightmare..
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:46 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=iamthecreaturefromuranus;4274148]I am trying to portray the other side of the sugar coated bullsh!t that far too often frequents these boards. I have been there and done all the waiting with expectation in the UK... pushing to the back of you mind all the possible things that could go wrong... always believing the best will happen.

fair comment

for all the rest they love it

as you say there's 2 sides to every story
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have to be fair and to agree with Uranus...Australia does not suit everyone and they should certainly be afforded the opportunity to air their views here without being judged - no two experience are the same but should be valued for being unique and true...walk a mile in a mans shoes and all that.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=stuckinblighty;4274157]
I am trying to portray the other side of the sugar coated bullsh!t that far too often frequents these boards. I have been there and done all the waiting with expectation in the UK... pushing to the back of you mind all the possible things that could go wrong... always believing the best will happen.

fair comment

for all the rest they love it

as you say there's 2 sides to every story
Thing is, the Barbie is not the place to see those two sides. Its pretty much designed for the people who love the place. There is nothing wrong with that, just so long as the people reading these threads realise that the reality of Australia is that its NOT all shorter hours, higher pay, lazing by your pool or on the beach.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Actually, I think Australia has some great things going for it. For me, personally, I have found it to be just a little dull. If you are happen to spend your life on the beach or by the pool, then its great. If part of your life in the UK involves any interest in its history and culture, then Oz could be a problem as it pretty much has none of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.