Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Who's gonna win The Ashes?
Australia
36.62%
England
52.11%
Draw (Australia retain - not win)
11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Who's going to win The Ashes?

Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who's going to win The Ashes?

I don't like either of them but I think there's not much between them. Australia are not what they were and are carrying some passengers - they still lack a decent spinner.

It'll be a close call but I think the Poms might edge it.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 6th 2009 at 3:05 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

I can confidently predict that the losing team will complain about the umpiring or the other team "cheating".
Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:18 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I dont really care who wins but if it means the Ozzies will completely blank the subject on the news like they did when we beat them in the rugby then bring it on! I hope the uk wins it just to shut the arrogant smug gits on the tv up!!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

i vote for a draw - probably 1-1 - have you seen the weatgher forecast for Cardiff???

the Aussies are not what they once were having lost a number of 'once in a generation' players at the same time, but they do often manage to pull it out at the right times. Especially against England.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:05 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Australia
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:20 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Australia
England.

The English are a better side than they were in 2005.

The Aussies are a worse side than they were in 2005 (even counting the two tests they lost without McGrath).

It'll be close though.

Scottichcelts, are you not going to support your home team? Despite the name the England team actually represents the UK at test cricket.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:21 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
England.

The Aussies are a worse side than they were in 2005 (even counting the two tests they lost without McGrath).

It'll be close though.

Scottichcelts, are you not going to support your home team? Despite the name the England team actually represents the UK at test cricket.
I'm not British B
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:22 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

England.

It'll be close though.

I'm a full on England Cricket supporter, but even I am not deluded to think that we are a better side than in 2005. We are not even close to that.

However you are completely right about the Aussie team
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I'm a full on England Cricket supporter, but even I am not deluded to think that we are a better side than in 2005. We are not even close to that.

I actually couldn't give a toss

Can't stand the game
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:24 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Who's going to win The Ashes?

Brett Lee has been dropped from the team due to injury, which leaves our bowling attack dangerously weak.

Poms to win.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Brett Lee has been dropped from the team due to injury, which leaves our bowling attack dangerously weak.

Poms to win.
There's still time yet Vash
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:31 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Poms to win.
If Johnson doesn't get wickets then the Aussies are in real trouble. All the pressure is now on Johnson to get them. Clark is not a wicket taker, neither is Hauritz. Siddle's swing could be interesting but I doubt he can produce it over an entire series. The Lee loss is massive to Aus
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:36 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry? How has the England side got worse? I beg to differ.

The bowling might be a fraction worse, but that's only if you consider Anderson to be worse than Jones and Broad to be worse than GBH (which is arguable), but then Broad is a vastly better bat than GBH so it probably levels out. Panesar is a better SLAC than Giles could ever dream of being, but Swann is better than both against the Aussies. You're better off with a good offie against left handers, and Australia has four lefties in their top six. Onions is definitely better than Hoggard.

As for batting:

Strauss is still Strauss.
Cook is still Cook
Probably Vaughan was better than Bopara is.
Bell is still Bell, and he was rubbish in 2005, probably he'll make more runs this time.
Pietersen is still Pietersen.
Collingwood is still Collingwood.
Prior is better than either Jones or that other bloke they kept on about.
Flintoff will be batting at 7 where he ought to bat (if not 8)
Broad can bat.
Swann can bat.
Panesar and Onions can't bat.

So 6, 7, and 8 will make up for any deficit of Bopara and then some.

If the wicket spins they'll leave out Onions and Bell.
If the wicket looks green they'll leave out Panesar and Bell.
If Pietersen is injured they'll put Bell in.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:36 pm

If Johnson doesn't get wickets then the Aussies are in real trouble. All the pressure is now on Johnson to get them. Clark is not a wicket taker, neither is Hauritz. Siddle's swing could be interesting but I doubt he can produce it over an entire series. The Lee loss is massive to Aus
I wouldn't mind swinging with the wicket taker
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:46 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Sorry? How has the England side got worse? I beg to differ.

The bowling might be a fraction worse, but that's only if you consider Anderson to be worse than Jones and Broad to be worse than GBH (which is arguable), but then Broad is a vastly better bat than GBH so it probably levels out. Panesar is a better SLAC than Giles could ever dream of being, but Swann is better than both against the Aussies. You're better off with a good offie against left handers, and Australia has four lefties in their top six. Onions is definitely better than Hoggard.

As for batting:

Strauss is still Strauss.
Cook is still Cook
Probably Vaughan was better than Bopara is.
Bell is still Bell, and he was rubbish in 2005, probably he'll make more runs this time.
Pietersen is still Pietersen.
Collingwood is still Collingwood.
Prior is better than either Jones or that other bloke they kept on about.
Flintoff will be batting at 7 where he ought to bat (if not 8)
Broad can bat.
Swann can bat.
Panesar and Onions can't bat.

So 6, 7, and 8 will make up for any deficit of Bopara and then some.

If the wicket spins they'll leave out Onions and Bell.
If the wicket looks green they'll leave out Panesar and Bell.
If Pietersen is injured they'll put Bell in.
you've shown your lack of memory from the last Ashes series in England Burbage. Cook did not make his debut until India in 06. Besides which, Tresco was better at the time than Cook is now. Collingwood only played the last test (Oval) of the 05' series.
Jones was a much better bowler than Broad is now. Jones was the pick of our bowlers throughout that series, it was his reverse swing that made it! Jones also pitched in very nicely with the bat. Bell will not be picked for the first test, unless they suddenly decide to drop Bopara.
Flintoff is no longer Flintoff. When was the last time he took a 5 for? When was the last time he scored a century...or even a 50? Swann.... Is a better spinner, but Giles' role was a containing one, which he did marvelously...plus he also scored some very handy runs for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.