Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House Seller (Nov 08 onwards)

Whinging Pom House Seller (Nov 08 onwards)

Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:30 am
Just Joined

reallyhappy will become famous soon enoughreallyhappy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller (The Continuation)

Ok guys, c'mon - chill out.

From what I've seen on the HPC site it's just a bunch of sour, (mostly) male chauvinists who like nothing better than spitting venom at those who can afford a home of their own.

They really are not worth your anger or upset.

People on here are making plans for a wonderful new future and the "opinions" of a small-minded minority are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things! There will always be people in life who are bitter and jealous but that does mean that they are worth your time and effort!

Concentrate on what is really important - the future in Oz!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

sooperlids is on a distinguished road

Don't tar everybody with the same brush. There are good & bad folks on every site. There are a few here that would not be top of my xmas card list! Don't let them upset you, it's not like there has been an invasion of them here? And if you don't like their views steer clear of their site.

If I had listened to my Estate Agent & not found the House Price Crash site I would have never sold my house. Whilst agent's were telling me to stick with not far off a summer 2007 price I was advised to just get rid & not chase down the market. As a result I Knocked off £20k & sold it. The neighbour opposite has made several drops since & has now been on 3 months @ £10k below my sale price (the house has been on the market for well over a year) They have not had a viewing in ages. The house is identical. If they knocked another £20-£30k off I still think they would have problems selling.

Anyway good luck to those out there trying to find a buyer. There are still a few out there!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

FHYLL is just really niceFHYLL is just really niceFHYLL is just really niceFHYLL is just really niceFHYLL is just really niceFHYLL is just really niceFHYLL is just really niceFHYLL is just really nice

Well done well said sooperlips thats the way to go, we have just come back from oz after validating and before we left we pricedropped 20k which is about 15k under lowest valuation.
But while we were away we had 2 viewings which was great this time of the year,after not having a person thru the door for 3mths.
Our opinion is if you want to do it take a cut and better you`r life. What you do have to consider is that if you have equity in you`re property and you can invest and exchange at a better time when the currency exchange is up then you can make gains on you`re losses at a future date.Also house prices are dropping over there to and auctions sales are down which shows signs of falling prices which you can take into consideration for you`re next purchase.And 1 last point for people who may be looking to buy a new property or build their own the 21,400A$ grant is only going to be around till june where it then drops back so take all these into consideration and be realistic with your house price if you want to make that move.
For all you people who are selling and going on a shoestring budget with no savings or equity what you have to ask yourselves is "Is this really the right time to do it " because it is just has difficult over there as it is here and sometimes worse because you are a migrant which is what we have seen .
So to end my mumblings i wish you all the luck and we will all sell at sometime
Old Dec 17th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

I guess I just hit lucky, bought my house back in 97. I knew it wasn't long after a crash but never realised the implications of boom and bust scenarios in the housing market as it was my first home The purchase was more about circumstances at the time than having an in depth knowledge (although I have NOW!). I was having a midlife crisis at 29!!! 11 yrs later and a drop of over £30k from bottom valuation off EA, I feel incredibly lucky to have not only sold, but to also not be in negative equity. Of course this was due it being a home for so long, although orignally planned to leave UK in 2005,but still lucky. Some of us do not study the housing market, we just live.. everyone situation and personal circumstances are different.

Good luck to all
Old Dec 18th 2008, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Just popped in to say hi loving Adelaide and so glad we took a big hit on our house to get here. Wished we could have got the asking price then we would be able to afford to buy here too but will rent for ever now.

On the debate about investers buying up houses and pushing up prices I think you will find that most people bought houses to invest in as a pension. My brother owns other houses he doesn't make a penny from them has to top up the morg on them but its his pension cos the goverment cant sort out the pension so many of us paid in for

Good luck all those trying to sell My fingers are crossed for you all
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Just popped in to say hi loving Adelaide and so glad we took a big hit on our house to get here. Wished we could have got the asking price then we would be able to afford to buy here too but will rent for ever now.

On the debate about investers buying up houses and pushing up prices I think you will find that most people bought houses to invest in as a pension. My brother owns other houses he doesn't make a penny from them has to top up the morg on them but its his pension cos the goverment cant sort out the pension so many of us paid in for

Good luck all those trying to sell My fingers are crossed for you all
Hi Steve and Tina

Good to hear your loving Adelaide. Guess you've been busy sorting things out. I've got all that to come. Moving to Perth on 22ndFeb. Staying in a guest house for first 30 days to give me chance to find a rental or house share plus a car. Excited now, but on that big emotional roller coaster. Did you manage to sort yourselves out without any problems?
Was hoping to go to Adelaide if I get chance in the first few weeks as I know one person who was a tour guide on a previous trip back in 2004.
Good on you both
Old Dec 31st 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi, i haven't actually participated on this thread - but often have a read to see what's happening with the people on here trying to sell their properties.
I was wondering if any of you might be able to answer something for me?

In March we put our house up for sale in Romford, but after our 3 months with the agent were up we took it off the market as most property sales had come to a standstill in our area. We are now going to re-market the house from Jan onwards before prices possibly drop further - but are confused about the HIP report.... We had ours done March 08 and having rung 3 different estate agents this morning we have been told different things...
We were originally told that the HIP was valid for 12 months. However, one agent has said that if you take your property off the market it's only 9!
Another agent has said that the HIP would continue to run but that we'd need to get just the searches done again. Another agent said that the whole report would need to be re-done. So we're very confused

Has anyone any experience on this?

many thanks.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Tomski Tribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends who did your HIP. If your agent did it then it's theirs, unless they charged you separately for it. Some agents tell you it's free, but only if your hosue sells. We got our solicitor to do it so it belongs to us and we can still use it if we change agents etc. Still think it's total waste of money...we have had over 30 viewngs and not one person has asked to see it...
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
In March we put our house up for sale in Romford, but after our 3 months with the agent were up we took it off the market as most property sales had come to a standstill in our area. We are now going to re-market the house from Jan onwards before prices possibly drop further - but are confused about the HIP report.... We had ours done March 08 and having rung 3 different estate agents this morning we have been told different things...
We were originally told that the HIP was valid for 12 months. However, one agent has said that if you take your property off the market it's only 9!
Another agent has said that the HIP would continue to run but that we'd need to get just the searches done again. Another agent said that the whole report would need to be re-done. So we're very confused

many thanks.
HIPS have a shelf life of 1 year according to the government site.

[I]How long does a HIP last for?

While the property is on the market, there is no need to update the HIP. If the sale of your property stops and then starts again, you may have to compile a new HIP and provide up-to-date documents.

However, you can carry on using the same HIP without the need to update any of the documents where:

* marketing stopped because an offer was accepted and the sale has fallen through (but remarketing must start within one year of the date when marketing first began or, if later, within 28 days of the sale falling through)
* marketing has stopped for any other reason and the seller remarkets the property within one year of the date when marketing first began.

The effect of this is that the HIP has a shelf-life of at least 12 months for the seller.[/I]

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...acks/DG_171803
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Thank you to those that have replied.
The government site link was very helpful... I am going to print off the page that was quoted for when the estate agent comes round on the 10th!
We were just reading the site though and kind of panicked that we might have signed something that gave the agent we'd used previously ownership of our HIP - but we've just been through the form we signed and it doesn't seem that we did as we did pay for it in full upfront.!

anyway, thanks again!

Old Jan 1st 2009, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Hi, i haven't actually participated on this thread - but often have a read to see what's happening with the people on here trying to sell their properties.
I was wondering if any of you might be able to answer something for me?

many thanks.

Hi ya travelbug we are from Hornchurch left about 2 months ago now so i know how it is with the housing market there we had to drop 50K to sell ours and Now I know we were one of the luck ones altho it didn't feel like that at the time

Out Hip was over a year old and all we needed to do we renew the local searches cost us £145 but we didn't do this till we was well into our sale as they only last 6 months. Was told by a number of solicitors that the gov have made the HIP on a unlimited time scale just having to renew some searches but I'm still not sure and to be honest I dont think the Gov are to sure either

Who are you going to be putting your house up with?

Have you not thought of renting your house as the demand is high in your area.

Good luck with selling hopefully 2009 will be a better year for all those still trying to sell
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi ya travelbug we are from Hornchurch left about 2 months ago now so i know how it is with the housing market there we had to drop 50K to sell ours and Now I know we were one of the luck ones altho it didn't feel like that at the time

Out Hip was over a year old and all we needed to do we renew the local searches cost us £145 but we didn't do this till we was well into our sale as they only last 6 months. Was told by a number of solicitors that the gov have made the HIP on a unlimited time scale just having to renew some searches but I'm still not sure and to be honest I dont think the Gov are to sure either

Who are you going to be putting your house up with?

Have you not thought of renting your house as the demand is high in your area.

Good luck with selling hopefully 2009 will be a better year for all those still trying to sell

Hi there I've followed your house sale on this thread - so knew who you were when i saw this reply! I always tend to notice the people that are fellow essex residents (although not anymore for you! ). I was glad you managed to sell, but do empathise regarding the drop you had to take .
We're dreading going through the trying to sell saga again. In hindsight we should never have took ours off of the market, but it was out of pure frustration that we did. Initially we had lots of viewings but after 3 weeks of being up for sale it was literally the time when all the credit crunch business started and things just stopped or we were messed around by viewers not turning up. Looking at what's up for sale in our area (we're off of Mawney Rd if you know that part of Romford?), it looks like we'll have to put it up for more than £25,000 less than what we had it up for in March - but like you we know we'll have to drop a lot more & like you say that's if we're lucky enough to secure a buyer... But we've had our visa's now since April 07 - so dont want to keep waiting to go.... It's a good job we validated November 07 so at least we have till March 2012 if need be. My OH could kill me though as he wanted to sell as soon as we got our visa's and i didn't want to....if only we'd known what would happen!!!

Thanks for the info you gave on the HIP - that is what one of the agents did advise us, so we'll bear that in mind and like you say not renew anything unless we get a sale. We wish we could rent out our house, but unfortunately we dont have sufficient savings for the other things we would need, ie, flights, set up costs, shipping etc...so we really need the equity from our house to start our new life. But saying that - if we dont get a buyer it may be something we'll have no choice but to look into - but we wont think about that unless we cant sell during 2009.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you - Enjoy your new life Down Under!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi there I've followed your house sale on this thread - so knew who you were when i saw this reply! I always tend to notice the people that are fellow essex residents (although not anymore for you! ). I was glad you managed to sell, but do empathise regarding the drop you had to take .
We're dreading going through the trying to sell saga again. In hindsight we should never have took ours off of the market, but it was out of pure frustration that we did. Initially we had lots of viewings but after 3 weeks of being up for sale it was literally the time when all the credit crunch business started and things just stopped or we were messed around by viewers not turning up. Looking at what's up for sale in our area (we're off of Mawney Rd if you know that part of Romford?), it looks like we'll have to put it up for more than £25,000 less than what we had it up for in March - but like you we know we'll have to drop a lot more & like you say that's if we're lucky enough to secure a buyer... But we've had our visa's now since April 07 - so dont want to keep waiting to go.... It's a good job we validated November 07 so at least we have till March 2012 if need be. My OH could kill me though as he wanted to sell as soon as we got our visa's and i didn't want to....if only we'd known what would happen!!!

Thanks for the info you gave on the HIP - that is what one of the agents did advise us, so we'll bear that in mind and like you say not renew anything unless we get a sale. We wish we could rent out our house, but unfortunately we dont have sufficient savings for the other things we would need, ie, flights, set up costs, shipping etc...so we really need the equity from our house to start our new life. But saying that - if we dont get a buyer it may be something we'll have no choice but to look into - but we wont think about that unless we cant sell during 2009.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you - Enjoy your new life Down Under!
Keep positive hun and dont beat yourself up about not selling as soon as yopu got the visa as I would let my OH sell the house when we applied for our visa like he wanted to and so wish I had.

Also know what you mean about needing the money in the house but as you say you do have a few years to get out and if you can save like crazy (we went without so much to get some extra savings) if you haven't sold then you might have some savings to come out on. just get enough for flights rental bond and a cheap run a round car and do like we do live from day to day. Not easy but we are here now. anyway I'm rambeling on like a mad woman.

Good luck with the sale and keep us updated have everything crossed for you xxx
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Keep positive hun and dont beat yourself up about not selling as soon as yopu got the visa as I would let my OH sell the house when we applied for our visa like he wanted to and so wish I had.

Also know what you mean about needing the money in the house but as you say you do have a few years to get out and if you can save like crazy (we went without so much to get some extra savings) if you haven't sold then you might have some savings to come out on. just get enough for flights rental bond and a cheap run a round car and do like we do live from day to day. Not easy but we are here now. anyway I'm rambeling on like a mad woman.

Good luck with the sale and keep us updated have everything crossed for you xxx

Ah thanks for that. I'm going to try and start the year with positive feelings about getting to Oz! The power of positive thought!
I imagine there's a lot of us that would have done things differently with hindsight - but i guess that's how life is I never imagined 5 years ago that i would even be contemplating moving to Australia so i guess some of us can never tell exactly what's around the corner!
Thanks again for the good luck wishes - i'll be sure to let you know how we get on.
you take care, and i hope everything goes well for you..
Cathy
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:44 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]

Put house on market for 134 LAST December, someone offered 108.....just don'yt know what to do...it's a BIG drop - equivalent to 50k dollars !!

Any oideas ?

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.