Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Where do you come from ............and why to Australia

Where do you come from ............and why to Australia

Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice
Default Where do you come from ............and why to Australia

Where have you come from ?Where in Australia are you and why pick there.

Me.....I come from North London but lived in North Essex before coming out here to Oz.In the early 70's when i was a kid we moved out here to Melbourne,we was here for 18 months and moved back to Uk.I always wanted to move back here but it took me 17 years to pursuade the OH to move here.We 1st looked at Melbourne(as I have family there) but then decided to move to Brisbane to live in a better climate(even though at the moment its bloody freezing).We arrived in July 06 not knowing a soul but we just got on with it.We are living just north of Brissie and love it kids settled in school,me in work and the OH frustrated at the mo with looking for work.But other than that we love it here and at the mo are not home sick at all.We do have good and bad days but that would happen in England aswell.
So we feel we have certainly made the right decision for all of us and to date would not change a thing.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you come from ............and why to Australia

Originally Posted by ragner
Where have you come from ?Where in Australia are you and why pick there.

Me.....I come from North London but lived in North Essex before coming out here to Oz.In the early 70's when i was a kid we moved out here to Melbourne,we was here for 18 months and moved back to Uk.I always wanted to move back here but it took me 17 years to pursuade the OH to move here.We 1st looked at Melbourne(as I have family there) but then decided to move to Brisbane to live in a better climate(even though at the moment its bloody freezing).We arrived in July 06 not knowing a soul but we just got on with it.We are living just north of Brissie and love it kids settled in school,me in work and the OH frustrated at the mo with looking for work.But other than that we love it here and at the mo are not home sick at all.We do have good and bad days but that would happen in England aswell.
So we feel we have certainly made the right decision for all of us and to date would not change a thing.

Where north Bris are you???? We are looking at North Bris initially, but need some input on schools and need a lovely area too, near a sandy beach.. am i asking too much, want North with view to move to Sunshine when OH is settled in work. he's a sparkie... Wants to work in the city as money seems better. correct me if i'm wrong.. S-j xx
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Where north Bris are you???? We are looking at North Bris initially, but need some input on schools and need a lovely area too, near a sandy beach.. am i asking too much, want North with view to move to Sunshine when OH is settled in work. he's a sparkie... Wants to work in the city as money seems better. correct me if i'm wrong.. S-j xx
We live up on the Redclffe peninsula 25km north of Brissie CBD.there is a beech here but is not Sunshine coast standard.I have 2 kids (14 & 12) and they both go to Redcliffe High School and have no problem with the school ,they are both happy there.Although we dont have a great beech its the nearest proper beech to Brisbane (if you dont count the one on the River in the city)but there is a Lagoon(outside swimmingpool) right by the sea at Redcliffe.As for travelling from the Sunshine coast to Brisbane everyday for work you OH might get fed up with it,but there are people that do that journey.To get from Caloundra(nearset point of sunshine coast) to Brissie CBD on a work day could take anything from 2hrs up.But That area is growing all the time so your OH might find work there.
good luck
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

We live up on the Redclffe peninsula 25km north of Brissie CBD.there is a beech here but is not Sunshine coast standard.I have 2 kids (14 & 12) and they both go to Redcliffe High School and have no problem with the school ,they are both happy there.Although we dont have a great beech its the nearest proper beech to Brisbane (if you dont count the one on the River in the city)but there is a Lagoon(outside swimmingpool) right by the sea at Redcliffe.As for travelling from the Sunshine coast to Brisbane everyday for work you OH might get fed up with it,but there are people that do that journey.To get from Caloundra(nearset point of sunshine coast) to Brissie CBD on a work day could take anything from 2hrs up.But That area is growing all the time so your OH might find work there.
good luck

Thanks Ragner, for some reason i thought you lived North lakes area, been doing some research on the Redcliffe area as realise this is the only beach from Bris.... It will only be temp till Oh gets a job then will look at moving up (north coastline).... He works away at the moment and travels for about 2 hrs a day each way so dont want to do that in Oz..

He needs a job initally to get his licence, but once got that will look for a perm job up north.... Thanks for the reply..

What do you think to Redcliffe itself, some threads on here have suggested that it's a bit run down and not so nice an area to live in.. Mango hill and Woody point get good reviews though, what do you think??? S-j x

Last edited by s-jmelbournewannabe; Jun 21st 2007 at 1:35 pm. Reason: whoops!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Thanks Ragner, for some reason i thought you lived North lakes area, been doing some research on the Redcliffe area as realise this is the only beach from Bris.... It will only be temp till Oh gets a job then will look at moving up.... He works away at the moment and travels for about 2 hrs a day each way so dont want to do that in Oz..

He needs a job initally to get his licence, but once got that will look for a perm job up north.... Thanks for the reply..

What do you think to Redcliffe itself, some threads on here have suggested that it's a bit run down and not so nice an area to live in.. Mango hill and Woody point get good reviews though, what do you think??? S-j x

There are alot of Brits live in North Lakes but its not my cup of tea ,but it is for others.The Peninsula is made up of 6 areas (from north to south)on the east side is Scarborough,Redcliffe,Margate and on the west is part of Rothwell,Kipper Ring and Clontarf.There are good and bad in all areas but we have found as a whole its a nice place to be.The area did have a bad rep but over the last few years money has and still is being pumped into the area ,the old is being knocked down and new house/appartments are going up all the time.Mango Hill is an area between Rothwell and North Lakes so is a bit further away from the sea but still quite nice to live.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are alot of Brits live in North Lakes but its not my cup of tea ,but it is for others.The Peninsula is made up of 6 areas (from north to south)on the east side is Scarborough,Redcliffe,Margate and on the west is part of Rothwell,Kipper Ring and Clontarf.There are good and bad in all areas but we have found as a whole its a nice place to be.The area did have a bad rep but over the last few years money has and still is being pumped into the area ,the old is being knocked down and new house/appartments are going up all the time.Mango Hill is an area between Rothwell and North Lakes so is a bit further away from the sea but still quite nice to live.

Thanks very much Ragner, we will defo be checkin the area's out when we arrive... Good to get others views on the areas too... thanks, good thread mate have subscribed so peeps, get adding your experiences.. Ta. S-j x
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally from Sydney, live in Rochester, Kent and going back to Sydney. Main reasons for choosing Sydney is because I have family there and that's where I'm from ;-)

My wife was born in Chatham and she's going to Sydney too. Her main reason for choosing Sydney is because I will be there
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yeah.... been living in Rochester since 1972
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:52 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Oh yeah.... been living in Rochester since 1972
dorset>>>>sydney>>adelaide>>sydney>>dorset>>>>sydn ey>>>adelaide>>>all round australia>>>adelaide now and who knows in the future... love it everywhere for different reasons... adelaide is cool for a chilled out life of camping.. beaches... countryside...safe ish.....nice food...kids love it...been here 10 years
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

Seaford, East Sussex, going to Perth, can remember why!!!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
dorset>>>>sydney>>adelaide>>sydney>>dorset>>>>sydn ey>>>adelaide>>>all round australia>>>adelaide now and who knows in the future... love it everywhere for different reasons... adelaide is cool for a chilled out life of camping.. beaches... countryside...safe ish.....nice food...kids love it...been here 10 years
whats weather like in adelaide???

ooooooooh yeah and I am ............
Hertfordshire>Lincolnshire>Hampshire>Gloucestershi re>Leicestershire>Germany>Hertfordshire> North Yorkshire>Lancashire> ?????? Australia somewhere!!
why?? the dream, the challenge, cos its there???

Last edited by daunted; Jun 21st 2007 at 8:40 pm. Reason: to answer the question LOL
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:32 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally from Bellshill, Scotland. Moved away 13 years ago. Have lived all over the UK. But mostly London. Lived here for a year in 98. Lived in NZ for a year 2000 and lived in Thailand for 5 years. Moved back to Sydney October last year. We plan on moving to the Gold Coast next year.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

North Herts > London > Paris > London > Australia > North Herts > New York > Bath > San Francisco > Bath > Gloucestershire > South Coast NSW ...

Dad's an aussie. He got us sprogs citizenship over 20 years ago. Decided to move here with wife and son three years ago. This area because parents and older sister live within about a 60km radius. Been here a year. Like it. No plans to go anywhere else for the foreseeable future.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:49 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Originally from Bellshill,
i was born there, and so were my kids
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hertfordshire >> Gold Coast. Why not. Both great places but the weather's better here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.