Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

When to ship our stuff

When to ship our stuff

Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold
Default When to ship our stuff

Ok may be some of you guys can help me here.

We'll be moving to Perth next September & the lease will be up on our place here on 20th August. I know we have a little while to go but we're disagreeing a bit over when we should ship our stuff. I say we want it gone about a week before our lease is up but hubby is saying about a month I asked him how we would manage without any of our kitchen stuff, most of our clothes, bedding, kids stuff, television, etc (not taking furniture so that's not an issue) for about a month but he says if we leave it until last minute we'll be waiting longer for it in Oz.

My point of view is that if we ship it all to early then I may have to buy stuff to keep us going here which we'll then have to get rid of. If we have to buy stuff to tie us over in Oz then never mind as I'll obviously buy stuff I like & we want to keep.

So how early/late did you guys ship your stuff?

Alison x
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future
Default Re: When to ship our stuff

Originally Posted by al150n
Ok may be some of you guys can help me here.

We'll be moving to Perth next September & the lease will be up on our place here on 20th August. I know we have a little while to go but we're disagreeing a bit over when we should ship our stuff. I say we want it gone about a week before our lease is up but hubby is saying about a month I asked him how we would manage without any of our kitchen stuff, most of our clothes, bedding, kids stuff, television, etc (not taking furniture so that's not an issue) for about a month but he says if we leave it until last minute we'll be waiting longer for it in Oz.

My point of view is that if we ship it all to early then I may have to buy stuff to keep us going here which we'll then have to get rid of. If we have to buy stuff to tie us over in Oz then never mind as I'll obviously buy stuff I like & we want to keep.

So how early/late did you guys ship your stuff?

Alison x
Hi Alison

Firstly where are you living for the weeks before you leave after you move out of your rental?
Our stuff left the Uk 3 weeks before we did! It wasnt too bad, we were left with just the clothes we where taking with us and a few bits and bobs to wear while we where still in the Uk.
My hubbies parents moved into our house, so we werent too bad.
But the great thing in about the whole thing was our stuff got delived the day we moved into the new rental here, which was great, if it hadnt we would have had to go and buy loads of stuff to keep us going, in our experience I would advise you to get it shipped asap.

Good luck

Gill
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

We shipped all our stuff about 8 weeks before we left, we had lots of family around so were able to borrow enough furniture and bits and pieces to keep us going till we left, it meant our container arrived about the same time as we moved into our rental so worked well for us.

Another thing to bear in mind is it can really help you to feel settled having all your own things around which was another reason we opted to do without in the UK rather than over here.

Also the last thing you want to be doing on arrival is traipsing round the shops with jetlagged kids, you'll have enough to do sorting rentals, cars, medicare, driving licences, schools....the list goes on
All the best with your move

Last edited by desperatehousewife; Sep 7th 2009 at 11:44 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped all our stuff a month before we flew. There was a fair few bits and pieces we weren't sending that we used and anything else we borrowed. It's far easier borrowing off loved ones than having to buy cheap stuff to last until the container arrives this end.

We arrived and found our house, we settled three weeks later and the day we got the keys our container was delivered so it was perfect.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:52 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We were in our rental for about 4 weeks without our proper stuff.. we made do with things bought from Big W (including blow up mattresses) etc.. plus made good use of the fact that eating out here was pretty cheap too..

Em x