Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are Brisbane Taxi's Reliable - too and from Airport

Are Brisbane Taxi's Reliable - too and from Airport

Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice
Default Are Brisbane Taxi's Reliable - too and from Airport

Need to get to the airport (from Forest Lake), was originally going to rent a car, but the company I was going to use don't have a drop off point inside the airport, so I'm now looking at getting a taxi.

Never used a taxi here, so want to know if they are reliable, read the odd story that they may not take you the shortest route or try to charge you more than it says on their display.

I will be going in just over a week (late evening), returning three weeks later (early morning), would I be able to book the return taxi (4 weeks in advance)or could I just get one at the airport?

Also, how accurate are those online fare calculators? and who's best Yellow cabs or Black and White?

thanks Showdan
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:19 am
West is best!

oz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to alloz bound is a name known to all
Default Re: Are Brisbane Taxi's Reliable - too and from Airport

Hubby has done this both to and from the airport about 3 weeks ago. No sure who he used but will ask him. I do know they told him at time of booking how much it was going to cost him.

He only booked the one to the airport 4am pick up when he came back he just got one outside the terminal. The 4am one was on time. Don't think he had any problems, he made it home ok, lol

hth

ob

Last edited by oz bound; Sep 8th 2009 at 12:22 am. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:53 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I do taxis to and from BNE airport reasonably regularly.

Fares are whatever they are - the meter runs.... you wont be 'overcharged'. You can always specify the route you want your driver to take if you have a preference.

Its a bit of a hike from Forest Lake to the airport so might cost you a bit:

From The Gap to the Airport its a $50-$60 fare - so wouldnt be surprised if FL-Airport was $90.

Of course for $90 a hire car IS going to be cheaper - can you pick up a Hertz/Avis/Budget/Europecar somewhere close by and drop at the airport? I'm sure you'd get a 1 day small car hire for <$80.

The other choice is perhaps a transfer service rather than yellow/B&W cabs. Certainly from Gold Coast its cheaper to get a limo transfer to the airport than catch a regular cab.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Thanks for all the advise.

The cost isn't a huge issue (but I'm always happy to save a few $$$), I'd planned on about $100, just wouldn't want the taxi driver trying to pull a fast one.

I did look at those rentals but they are quite a distance from F.L. and I would need a large car (family of 4 + luggage).

I am a little curious about this limo service, anyone know of company's doing this?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:17 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember rightly Avis have a place close to Forest Lake. Its not far from the end of Progress Road according to the website.

http://www.avis.com.au/car-rental/lo...NCODE=JH4#west
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the route is to Forest Lake from the airport but bear in mind if there are any tolls to pay these will not be indicated on the meter so the final fare may be different from what the meter says.

There are some lousy cab drivers out there - not in terms of trying to rip you off but just not having a clue where they are going and/or English skills for you to help them out a bit!

I used to live in Balmoral, which is very easy to get to from the airport. Across the Gateway Bridge, first exit then one road all the way there. My cabbie at midnight one night hadn't a clue! I said, OK just head for the Gateway Bridge....blank look! Eventually he handed me the TomTom and I typed in my address and off we went!

THEN, when we crossed the Gateway Bridge, well, clearly it was his first time! He STOPPED in the eToll gates looking for the person to give the money to - then he got out and started looking as trucks were bearing down on us!

Anyway, we finally made it and he forgot to charge me for the bridge tolls (and airport exit fee which I also think is not shown in the meter total) anyway!

Moral of the story is don't neccesarily expect the cabbie to know where your destination is - be prepared to do some navigating yourself!

The price you pay should be meter + tolls + airport fee + extra if paid by EFTPOS.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by showdan

Also, how accurate are those online fare calculators? and who's best Yellow cabs or Black and White?

thanks Showdan
The estimated fare of $64 was spot on when we used Black and white from the airport to our holiday home. Don't forget you will have to pay for the toll as well on top of the fare.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As Bcworld says your main problem will be getting the cab driver at the airport to understand where you want to go. Many of the drivers barely speak English and don't even know where suburbs are never mind the individual streets.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:35 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I never have a problem with taxi's,then again i normally have a chaperone
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I never have a problem with taxi's,then again i normally have a chaperone
Just as well, you'd never get home otherwise
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:37 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just as well, you'd never get home otherwise
Post stalker
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:59 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Post stalker
You wanna make yer own way home next time?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:02 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by showdan
Need to get to the airport (from Forest Lake), was originally going to rent a car, but the company I was going to use don't have a drop off point inside the airport, so I'm now looking at getting a taxi.

Never used a taxi here, so want to know if they are reliable, read the odd story that they may not take you the shortest route or try to charge you more than it says on their display.

I will be going in just over a week (late evening), returning three weeks later (early morning), would I be able to book the return taxi (4 weeks in advance)or could I just get one at the airport?

thanks Showdan
Are you staying with relatives or anything? If so get them to give you a rough idea of the best route so you can actually tell the taxi driver where to go (so to speak!) I have horrible problems not being a driver cos the ask me which way to go and I just have to say to them that I hired them to get me there so I expect them to know the way.
I'd never moan about Brighton cabbies again, I know that.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:22 am
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You wanna make yer own way home next time?
I do not respond to 'idle' threats,not even from Eric
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

If I remember rightly Avis have a place close to Forest Lake. Its not far from the end of Progress Road according to the website.
Yes your right, I thought it was further away than that, but I not sure if you can drop the car off and pick the car up at any time? need to drop the car off at about 11pm then when I return I will need to pick up at about 1am, couldn't see anything on there website think I'll need to contact them.

Are you staying with relatives or anything? If so get them to give you a rough idea of the best route so you can actually tell the taxi driver where to go (so to speak!) I have horrible problems not being a driver cos the ask me which way to go and I just have to say to them that I hired them to get me there so I expect them to know the way.
I'd never moan about Brighton cabbies again, I know that.
No I live here, going back to the UK for a holiday, I'm happy with getting to and from the airport and giving directions, just not sure communication is one of my strong points

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.