Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's your definition of health?

What's your definition of health?

Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice
Default Re: What's your definition of health?

Good or bad?

Good is being able to walk, breathe, see, hear, smile, laugh, run, play, enjoy, feel, touch, appreciate.

Bad is being restricted, lack of freedom, physical or mental.

Funny how the smallest things we take for granted until they are gone.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:31 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Mine? not dead. Cancer screws you up. Up until I was diagnosed though, I thought of being healthy as doing things you like doing, as in having energy to get up and go where you please, eat things without regrets, have a drink or three, stay up until 5am on occasion - AND your body agreeing with you, not letting you down. I.e. not looking as a train wreck in the morning after you missed your bedtime by 15 minutes, like. Most importantly, being able to function at home, at work and have plenty of reserve for an unplanned jet set and go.

FWIW.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:01 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I have to write a paper for uni on this subject and my definition was really similar to the WHO. I'm curious what others think.
I read somewhere that there are 7 areas of health not sure I agree with them all though.
The main four are Mental, physical, emotional and spiritual which is a controversial area. A uni book that was a requirement stated that you were not fully healthy unless you had spiritual health! The definition it gave of spiritual health was believing in a higher being than yourself and required that you attended church or other religious place!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Having the energy and mental capacity to do the things you enjoy.

NOT having an immune system that either reacts and destroys your body, or doesn't bother to fight off the myriad of germs that surround you, or a body that lets you do less and less each day despite trying to keep fit.

Not to be in pain or suffering from physical or mental illnesses.

To be comfortable with the body you have.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for replying. I have to write my definition of health and then the definition from a social group. My social group is immigrants, so along with the reading I've done on refugees I thought I would throw in some opinions from westerners.

It's really interesting to see how different perspectives are from people who have had major health problems are to those who have always been relatively healthy. It's also really interesting (to me, but I'm a saddo) to see what different medical professions count as health.

Karma for you all.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:53 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Am I too late? I was too busy wallowing in self-pity last night to read BE.

Health is not just about not being/feeling ill, it is about being/feeling well.

A wonderful doctor I miss terribly told me that when my body had just about given up a few years back and my own definition of health had adapted to how crap I had felt for so long that I thought that was normal.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Being able to do the things you want to do without worrying if your body will let you down.

Spent several months a few years ago with eczema so bad I wouldn't go anywhere, couldn't stay over at anyone's place, only went out in long sleeves and high necks to cover myself up......horrible, Sitting here now in a t-shirt I'm still eternally grateful that most days now I'm a lot better these days. Had really bad arthritis at the same time and could hardly walk; not fun when living on your own. So health really is something to treasure.

And mental health and physical health are so often linked - the sicker I got, the more depressed I got, constant downward spiral.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:12 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting it up.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:33 am
your fair weather friend!

unfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to beholdunfair dinkum is a splendid one to behold

I can't believe no one has mentioned being able to do a bloody big satisfying shit everyday like clockwork
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Am I too late? I was too busy wallowing in self-pity last night to read BE.

Health is not just about not being/feeling ill, it is about being/feeling well.

A wonderful doctor I miss terribly told me that when my body had just about given up a few years back and my own definition of health had adapted to how crap I had felt for so long that I thought that was normal.
Very true......... like this.

Oh, and Unfair Dinkum, I am a lady and do not comment on such things....
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:07 am

Whilst browsing BE on the iPhone.

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
I can't believe no one has mentioned being able to do a bloody big satisfying shit everyday like clockwork
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unfair dinkum
I think that if it's bloody that would be a sign you should have your colon looked at. But yeah, that morning dump is pretty satisfying.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Thank you all for replying. I have to write my definition of health and then the definition from a social group. My social group is immigrants, so along with the reading I've done on refugees I thought I would throw in some opinions from westerners.

It's really interesting to see how different perspectives are from people who have had major health problems are to those who have always been relatively healthy. It's also really interesting (to me, but I'm a saddo) to see what different medical professions count as health.

Karma for you all.
Health is a cultural construct as well. Lynn Payer's Medicine & Culture is a pretty good read. It only depicts French, German, British, and American perspectives, but still worth a look.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

That's actually in Payer's book, British section. Preoccupation with bowel movements. Hmm...interesting...
Old Aug 20th 2011, 11:12 am

I have seen Thai references to clearing one through with food and TCM has a few things to say on the subject.

Originally Posted by Japonica
That's actually in Payer's book, British section. Preoccupation with bowel movements. Hmm...interesting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.