Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's BE coming to?

What's BE coming to?

Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's BE coming to?

Originally Posted by Gobbledegeek
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound. Now that's humorous
Do you know, I could never work out why so many Brits complained about the Australian sense of humour then it clicked : whilst many Australians love a dry, sense of humour, and definitely get deadpan irony, (which is right up my alley as it happens!) and as such even love British sitcoms - some of them adore them - they don't generally actually do scarcasm - a great thing in my opinion.

Manys the time here an expat has lamented this, "I'm all scarcy and they don't get it", but in my opinion, some Australians would see it as downright negative, rude and hostile - and so do I. Scarcasm is the worst form of irony, but irony is cool.

And speedreading as I do, I missed your pun.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 9th 2008 at 5:10 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Scarcasm is the worst form of irony, but irony is cool.
Quite but I still can't work out whether you're misspelling 'sarcasm' intentionally or not
Old Mar 9th 2008, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound. Now that's humorous
You can have some karma for that!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
You can have some karma for that!
Thanks a lot
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;6040828]Do you know, I could never work out why so many Brits complained about the Australian sense of humour then it clicked : whilst many Australians love a dry, sense of humour, and definitely get deadpan irony, (which is right up my alley as it happens!) and as such even love British sitcoms - some of them adore them - they don't generally actually do scarcasm - a great thing in my opinion.

QUOTE]

Aussies and Poms are similar in that they both enjoy laughing at other's misfortunes.

The Poms have the one redeeming feature that they like laughing at themselves even more.

The Aussies (see the Aussie cricket team) HATE laughing at themselves.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Quite but I still can't work out whether you're misspelling 'sarcasm' intentionally or not
One of the ones I can't spell like parrallel. (Is that it?) If it is, I can copy and paste it to my profile..
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

One of the ones I can't spell like parrallel. (Is that it?) If it is, I can copy and paste it to my profile..
It's one r but I'm not with the grammar police
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is your parallel world the same one that Moneypen is in, or is it another parallel?
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Is your parallel world the same one that Moneypen is in, or is it another parallel?
I reckon it's another parallel, totally separate from Monypen's parallel but parallel to it.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

aaahhh!!! Thats it! I'm off again. Someone has just mentioned the grammer police and of course not forgetting the spelling police that correct other people on BE. (Especially when they are losing an argument). Well I've got a spelling error for them. They can all take a running hump the obnoxious little toads. Ps. I've a solution for the Australia vs the Japanese whalers. Give them free license to harpoon the fat chicks!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:27 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robclaridge
I've a solution for the Australia vs the Japanese whalers. Give them free license to harpoon the fat chicks!
well thats 25% of the aussie population sorted
what’s next
euthanasia for all drinkers ??
there be nobody left down here
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:09 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
well thats 25% of the aussie population sorted
what’s next
euthanasia for all drinkers ??
there be nobody left down here
I've been trying euthanase myself with Guiness for years now but it doesn't seem to work, so I have to try again, and again, and again
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robclaridge
aaahhh!!! Thats it! I'm off again. Someone has just mentioned the grammer police and of course not forgetting the spelling police that correct other people on BE. (Especially when they are losing an argument). Well I've got a spelling error for them. They can all take a running hump the obnoxious little toads. Ps. I've a solution for the Australia vs the Japanese whalers. Give them free license to harpoon the fat chicks!
Whilst I would never be so patronizing (and scared!) to criticize someone for their poor spelling, I think it is lazy not to use the 'spell check' and 'preview post' buttons. I know because I've already made a couple of major 'boo boo's' myself.

Once you start thinking 'it's only an email', it's a short step to making the same mistakes on 'proper' correspondence.

Bad spelling and punctuation offends the eye the same way that 'hitting a wrong note' in music offends the ear AND it reduces the impact of the message.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
'spell check' and 'preview post' buttons.
I've heard of them before.
Keep them in the same place as the forum rules don't they ?

Everyone knows they're there, but very few participate of the fruit
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:36 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I reckon it's another parallel, totally separate from Monypen's parallel but parallel to it.
That's the one. I've never met him in mine, nor has he met me in his. They must be running side by side They are definitely the place to be, I just don't go running in mine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.