Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

What's BE coming to?

What's BE coming to?

Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's BE coming to?

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Oh dear Dorothy, sorry you feel this way

Focus on the joke thread, that is usually good for a laugh

Have sent you some cheer up karma!
Thanks Sally. You're always very kind to me.
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I can't believe the number of grown adults who resort to childish taunts when they can no longer support their argument or opinion with anything like reason.

It's almost as if some people stopped developing when the left school. Or maybe it was always like that, and I'm getting older.
I think this was tongue in cheek, but it's exactly what I was talking about. Yes, I've noticed it from the old timers, but I guess I'm just used to them. I tend to ignore the ones who are always bickering at each other so don't notice as much. I do notice when a poster with 12 or 20 posts comes along and slags off everyone and everything that isn't exactly the way they want. Any opinion other than theirs is seen as wrong and if you don't agree then you are an ignorant racist dickhead.
Originally Posted by Bix
Don't see any real difference.
The forum is like an ocean.
The tide comes in, the tide goes out, but the water always finds it's own level.

Or maybe I should use my favourite analogy of the amoeba.
Wobbles around the edges but continues to flow.

Singling out newbies is both unfair and incorrect in my book.
Without newbies this place will grow old, senile and die.
Maybe a little more tolerance would be advantageous to all.
As always, Bix you are right. I should not have singled anyone out. I do think I'm very tolerant of everyone so don't like it much when others aren't.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:38 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, when does one stop being a "newbie"?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of lightGobbledegeek is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seasider
I heard you have to pay (in kind) yourself out of noob status by having cybersex with a member of the 'clique'......for the love of God tell me it's not true
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
It's not some defined moment in time. For me it's more when posters have been around for a while or have posted more than a couple of times. Obviously you have been around for over a year and have posted a few hundred times, so you would no longer be considered a newbie. Someone who just joined last week and has 5 posts would be considered one.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:49 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gobbledegeek
I heard you have to pay (in kind) yourself out of noob status by having cybersex with a member of the 'clique'......for the love of God tell me it's not true
Do I get to choose?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Is it just me or have there been more trolls on here lately? It seems every second newbie is a shit stirrer with absolutely no respect for the board's rules or anyone else's opinions.

It used to be that I would come on here daily to catch up with people, have a laugh, maybe offer some advice to those who wanted it but now it's just not the same. It's a sad state of affairs.

What a loathsome word 'Newbie' is, with all its connotations of exclusion and 'we know best' and 'get your knees brown before you come on here sprouting your unwanted opinions'.

'Newbie', yes I hate it even more than 'Funky' and 'Hubby'.

Dave

ps call me a 'New Chum' but never a 'Newbie'
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
The tide comes in, the tide goes out, but the water always finds it's own level.

Agreed. Sorry Centurion but 'back in the day' things were no different. It comes and goes. Not noticed too much trolling, just a few wanting to argue for the sake of it, even playing devils advocate half the time.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:32 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thewoodz
heavens forbid.....shirley not - by the way the beetroot is lovely doen here
Shirley so stick yer beetroot where you stick yer battenburg
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Have you been on the poetry books again?

Amoebas don't flow, they are single cell organisms, if they flowed, their cell membrane would break and they would die. You are thinking of Jelly.

Any troll is almost invariably a new poster (or an incredibly patient troll who builds up 100s of posts and then self destructs). A new poster is not often a troll. But going by statistics that I've just thought up, most trolls are new posters, most new posters are not trolls.

And I hate the patronising term newbie as well.

JTL
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:09 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with Bix it's no worse than it has been, I like to meet new people as well as chat to the people I view as friends on here (most of you )

If you see a troll remember not to feed them, If noone answers they can't get very far

This forum is a very friendly place
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:12 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

theres to much messing around on here,its a serious place for serious people..
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:18 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
theres to much messing around on here,its a serious place for serious people..
tits
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:24 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
What a loathsome word 'Newbie' is, with all its connotations of exclusion and 'we know best' and 'get your knees brown before you come on here sprouting your unwanted opinions'.

'Newbie', yes I hate it even more than 'Funky' and 'Hubby'.

Dave

ps call me a 'New Chum' but never a 'Newbie'
Actually I quite dislike it too, although I am guilty of using it.

It can indeed intone what you are quoting but equally it can just mean what the word says, a new person.

Isn't it about how the word is used ?
Isn't it actually about attitudes ?

I would hope seasoned posters would accept the newer contingent with open arms and respect their views which are of course every bit as valid as their own.

Equally I would expect a new member to take time to get to know their new surroundings before diatribing too profoundly.

It's not so different from real life.

As an example let's imagine I walked into a strange pub and immediately strutted the verbals. I'd get a smack in the gob.
On the other hand if I went in there and got to know people first I could say what I wanted over a beer with those same people.

It's about ones approach, and respect from both sides.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:32 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Any troll is almost invariably a new poster (or an incredibly patient troll who builds up 100s of posts and then self destructs). A new poster is not often a troll. But going by statistics that I've just thought up, most trolls are new posters, most new posters are not trolls.
JTL
Agreed.
And we should treat all new posters just as if they were ....a new poster.
A troll will soon become aparent but if we have replied to them with good intentions in the meantime then so what ? No skin off our noses really is it ?
However it would be damaging if we misinterpreted a new poster as being a troll so benefit of the doubt is advised I suggest.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:13 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's not some defined moment in time. For me it's more when posters have been around for a while or have posted more than a couple of times. Obviously you have been around for over a year and have posted a few hundred times, so you would no longer be considered a newbie. Someone who just joined last week and has 5 posts would be considered one.
Hmmmm, I have spent many years on forums and consider myself versed in etiquete (if not spelling) and am aware of trolls and the sometimes subtle difference between that and people playing devils advocate. I have immigarted twice to Oz (well sort of, long story!).

Anyway I have only recently discovered this forum (well after all most migration have been done and dusted).

Am I newbie? Well yes but......able to contribute and behave - I'd like to think so. And I do recognise that not all are being tarred with ame brush! Just think pigeon holing people is wholly unAustralian!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.